Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can you make walkout basements in TS4?

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
I’m thinking about making a basement in this tiny house for the parents to sleep in and let the kids have the bedrooms on the main floor, but I wanna know if it’s possible to make walkout basements in this game.

41-E1860-E-6935-48-D2-B773-538-A6-F8321-B5.jpg

574-B02-D5-976-A-4-AC3-A5-AD-0-B7-F68133-B58.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Wow. I’ve never seen that. So is the house on a hill to enable walking in and out of the basement? I might explore terrain tools but I don’t know if Sims would access without stairs or ladders. When I play tomorrow I’ll give it go and let you know.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    You can kinda do it with terrain if you make the "basement" the structural first floor of the house and then raise up the terrain wherever you want that floor to be underground. There will be a small space between the raised terrain and the exterior wall, which can be hidden with plants or other objects.

There is another way to do it using some sort of trick with placing and removing stairs to take advantage of an empty space that appears underneath them. If you google "sims 4 walkout basement tutorial" you will find videos that instruct you in how to do this. I haven't bothered with it myself.

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Wow. I’ve never seen that. So is the house on a hill to enable walking in and out of the basement? I might explore terrain tools but I don’t know if Sims would access without stairs or ladders. When I play tomorrow I’ll give it go and let you know.

The house itself is just on the ground like normal, but It’s like they dug into the ground around the back of the house to expose a basement wall.

And ok, thanks.
  • Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    I have done something similar with a garage. Not exactly the same, though.

8d94efc4615c008dbddfdcaa6eac0dca.jpg
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I believe Deligracy has a video on changes you can make to box houses that includes a walk out basement.
  • Options
    thenightcourtthenightcourt Posts: 173 Member
    NoTalent wrote: »

I love this, have you posted it to the gallery by chance?
    Never forgive, always forget.
  • Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member

I love this, have you posted it to the gallery by chance?

I have not. It was made back when Realm of Magic released, so it's probably not efficient. I'll upload it tomorrow. Just got off. :(
  • Options
    BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    I think the easiest approach would be to create a basement room under your backyard next to the actual basement of your house and then remove the ceiling from that room. In doing so, it would expose the basement wall of your house to the exterior and create a sunken basement level to your yard. It wouldn’t allow a gradual slope into the yard like your first reference image, but would be more like the second one where you’d have to use stairs to get from the walk-out section to the rest of your yard.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I tried to create one once but I found the land modelling tool too fussy and I eventually abandoned the idea. The basement in this case is not a real basement, because that one is always under ground. Having a foundation and a basement breaks the basement and you get to see the blue nothingness of space. To create a walk out basement you basically need to build your house like in this picture and then raise the ground elevation around it so that it looks like a walkout basement. There will be a one tile space around the house walls like a deep ditch, you will need to cover that with plants and rocks.

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    edited May 2021
    Both of your examples are a cinch in TS2, have done them often. Have yet to succeed in 4, a shame, really.

The reallly odd thing is that ages ago, when they released the patch that gave us the bendable stairs and other things, the demo video showed something similar to what you want in the house the BFF household was living in. As far as I know the house never made it to the gallery so we could find out how they did it. So, I guess it's technically possible, just an EA secret you need a Top-Secret CryptoSimo clearance to get.