Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The dreaded sims 3 V-Sync not working issue

So yesterday I finally moved Sims 3 off my old macbook pro onto my Windows gaming laptop and yup you've guessed it I've ran into the not being able to cap fps issue - I haven't seen it get any higher than around 220 from my couple of quick tests but as this screen can only do 60hz it shouldn't be getting that high.

I have followed some of the old threads on here but I am still having issues. Here is what I have currently set-up: Screenshots of Nvidia Control Panel and Intel HD Control Panel

I'm on version 1.69.43.024017 and my Graphics Card is an Nvidia 1050m. Is it a case of I need to try it with only TS3.exe setup on both rather than TS3.exe *and* TS3w.exe or is there something else I'm missing?

Thank you.
Avatar is my Sim version of Athena Cykes from the Capcom game Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. Don't own the character, just borrowing characters for some fanwork

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    TS3w.exe (with the "w") is for Patch 1.67 and below. Your game wouldn't be using it, so it doesn't really matter how things are set for it.

Above the choices shown for the Nvidia Control Panel, is there an option for maximum frame rate that can be set explicitly to 60? The newest Nvidia drivers should include this as a feature now, but you may need to update your drivers in order to have it. I don't know if a 1050M is considered new enough to have received this feature.

If that feature is not going to appear, the procedure to acquire it would be to install Nvidia Inspector, which includes a range of graphics card options that the Control Panel lacks.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    nerdowl42nerdowl42 Posts: 44 Member
    edited May 2021
    igazor wrote: »
    TS3w.exe (with the "w") is for Patch 1.67 and below. Your game wouldn't be using it, so it doesn't really matter how things are set for it.

Above the choices shown for the Nvidia Control Panel, is there an option for maximum frame rate that can be set explicitly to 60? The newest Nvidia drivers should include this as a feature now, but you may need to update your drivers in order to have it. I don't know if a 1050M is considered new enough to have received this feature.

If that feature is not going to appear, the procedure to acquire it would be to install Nvidia Inspector, which includes a range of graphics card options that the Control Panel lacks.

Thank you. I've a driver update waiting at the moment actually so I'll run that and see whether those options come up, otherwise I'll look at the inspector. :)

Will give this a go first.

ETA:

Okay now I know why it's called GeForce 'Experience' - The experience is it doesn't work and driver updates just fail. Went the manual route (was trying to follow this guide but the way Nvidia have their drivers now that doesn't seem to work. It installed fine via the .exe though (and now I no longer have experience installed cos I opted for just the drivers which got rid of experience) so the link for where to get the drivers from is still relevant.

Finally found the max frame rate option after initially thinking it wasn't there.

Anyway I now have Sims 3 capped at 60fps. Thanks so much @igazor .
    Post edited by nerdowl42 on
    Avatar is my Sim version of Athena Cykes from the Capcom game Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. Don't own the character, just borrowing characters for some fanwork
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Sorry that was such a journey, it is for some more than others, but glad you have that fps capped now! :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net