Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game crashes while loading and editing lot

kwohldkwohld Posts: 110 Member
Ws0KiLC.jpgRight before yesterday's content update, my game started crashing one after another while loading, and if I do make it past the loading screen, it crashes a few moments after the game starts when I go to the buy catalog- even after I applied several fixes. No error message. Either it just closes instantly after leaving Buy Mode or, while loading, the mouse pointer will keep spinning but the screen itself freezes, (so I closed out of it via Task Manager). These are the attempted fixes I tried already:

Deleted all junk files, then used System Mechanic to clean and boost my PC.
I made sure my graphics were set to the optimum recommended settings.
I repaired the game via Origin.
I turned off my firewall and antivirus.
I switched to windowed mode.
I went to msconfig and checked the Hide all Microsoft services check box > click Disable all. I then disabled individual services under Startup.
I checked for Windows updates.
I ran the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.
Restarted my PC.

I TRIED to exclude the game from Data Execution Prevention and I referred to this link: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/627396/game-keeps-crashing

As directed I went to this location C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe to look for the executable file. The problem with that is, the exe is not located in this folder. The only two folders or files in this location are World Adventures and Generations. No base game folder.

Shouldn't I have folders for all of my games in this folder? I'm wondering if this is my problem. What should I do? Thanks ya'll.
Post edited by kwohld on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I downloaded the Crash Log Analyzer and it shows 6 crash errors. They all say: Warning: Updates Available: The Sims 3 World Adventures. One of the solutions listed is Data execution prevention, which, as I said above, I am unable to do.
  • Options
    d_dreamerd_dreamer Posts: 39 Member
    I believe you need to put windows 10 in, vista might not be able to run it....that is an older version of windows @kwohld Windows vista if you look or type it in, I saw 2006, so maybe you might want to have windows 10
  • Options
    @d_dreamer I have Windows 10. Where did you see that I said I use Vista? I haven't used that in several years! :D
  • Options
    I just sent that I saw someone else sorry
  • Options
    It was another person when I went to where you had the link, so that is where I saw vista
  • Options
  • Options
    @kwohld yeah, vista is quite old
  • Options
    @kwohld, what type of computer do you have?
  • Options
    I was playing WOW and I had a lousy computer so I got a better computer so that I could run dungeons and raids, but now I don't like that game anymore, Battlenet has ruined it
  • Options
    My PC is a build with all quality parts. I fully upgraded it 2 years ago. Has an Intel(R) Core(TM) Kaby Lake i7-7700K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 GPU
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    It used to run like a charm after the upgrade, but I was inactive for a few months late last year and ever since I started playing again in January it's been one problem after another.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I'm all good. :) Ended up having to clean uninstall and reinstall my GPU.
    Post edited by kwohld on
  • Options
    REDSTORM19592010REDSTORM19592010 Posts: 4 New Member
    Yesterday my sims 3 app stopped working. I installed too much 3rd party code. I deleted everything to do with Origin. Then I opened regedit and deleted every registry key that had anything to do with the sims 3. Finally I downloaded the thin client and let it run. Then I reinstalled the app. It worked and it found enough registry fragments to restore my worlds as I knew them. I reinstalled some the third party content. I did not go overboard. Too much content can destabilize the app.
  • Options
    REDSTORM19592010REDSTORM19592010 Posts: 4 New Member
    I considered wiping the hard drive and restoring the laptop to factory specs. That would wipe out my movie library. So I'm glad I did not have to do a factory reset.
  • Options
    SirenRyanSimsSirenRyanSims Posts: 7 New Member
    I am having the same issue as you. My PC is brand new, 3080 graphics card, great parts. I just installed all the Sims 3 expansions and base game, but the SECOND that I go into buy mode, my game freezes/crashes. Was reinstalling your GPU really the only fix? That doesn't make sense to me :/
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2021
    @SirenRyanSims - One of the things that must happen on a powerful GPU is that its frame rates must be limited for TS3 one way or another and the limiting/capping be verified in-game such as with the fps on cheat code. TS3 being an older game has no functional built-in fps limiter and the more powerful cards will run wild on it, causing all kinds of problems and in some instances over time that can even damage the hardware. Have you taken this step or do you require some guidance to do so?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > @SirenRyanSims - One of the things that must happen on a powerful GPU is that its frame rates must be limited for TS3 one way or another and the limiting/capping be verified in-game such as with the fps on cheat code. TS3 being an older game has no functional built-in fps limiter and the more powerful cards will run wild on it, causing all kinds of problems and in some instances over time that can even damage the hardware. Have you taken this step or do you require some guidance to do so?

Thank you for such a speedy reply! I found a forum post on ModTheSims that says to "Get Nvidia Inspector and turn on the FPS limiter for TS3", would you recommend that I take this route to limit the FPS? Or do you have a method your prefer more?
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > @SirenRyanSims - One of the things that must happen on a powerful GPU is that its frame rates must be limited for TS3 one way or another and the limiting/capping be verified in-game such as with the fps on cheat code. TS3 being an older game has no functional built-in fps limiter and the more powerful cards will run wild on it, causing all kinds of problems and in some instances over time that can even damage the hardware. Have you taken this step or do you require some guidance to do so?

@igazor

Thank you for such a speedy reply! In my post above I quoted a recommendation from 2016 that I don't think is applicable, I would love some guidance on how to limit my FPS for TS3!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @SirenRyanSims - Inspector and other third party tools are still viable solutions for many, but for many more they may not be required anymore. On the Nvidia Control Panel that comes with your GPU, set up a profile for Sims 3. The executable would be TS3.exe (for Patch 1.69/Origin controlled games) or TS3w.exe (with the "w" for 1.67/Steam, retail disc/everyone else). Set Vertical Sync and Triple Buffering to On, which will help but only in full screen mode. The more recent Nvidia drivers now also include a Max Frame Rate setting, set that to no higher than the refresh rate of your monitor. Most are 60 Hz, so that means 60 fps, some monitors can run higher (75, 144, etc.).

To see your refresh rate if you aren't certain, on Windows right-click on the desktop then Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings and it's one of about six things that show up there, the one measured in Hz. That becomes the goal for fps capping as any frame rates thrown that are higher than that are digital noise that your monitor cannot interpret.

To see the fps rates you are actually getting in-game, ctrl+shift+C to bring up the cheats console and type fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the tiny displayed frame rates will fluctuate but should lock in at no higher than the refresh rate of your monitor. To make the display go away, cheats console again and type fps off (enter).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > @SirenRyanSims - Inspector and other third party tools are still viable solutions for many, but for many more they may not be required anymore. On the Nvidia Control Panel that comes with your GPU, set up a profile for Sims 3. The executable would be TS3.exe (for Patch 1.69/Origin controlled games) or TS3w.exe (with the "w" for 1.67/Steam, retail disc/everyone else). Set Vertical Sync and Triple Buffering to On, which will help but only in full screen mode. The more recent Nvidia drivers now also include a Max Frame Rate setting, set that to no higher than the refresh rate of your monitor. Most are 60 Hz, so that means 60 fps, some monitors can run higher (75, 144, etc.).
    >
    > To see your refresh rate if you aren't certain, on Windows right-click on the desktop then Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings and it's one of about six things that show up there, the one measured in Hz. That becomes the goal for fps capping as any frame rates thrown that are higher than that are digital noise that your monitor cannot interpret.
    >
    > To see the fps rates you are actually getting in-game, ctrl+shift+C to bring up the cheats console and type fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the tiny displayed frame rates will fluctuate but should lock in at no higher than the refresh rate of your monitor. To make the display go away, cheats console again and type fps off (enter).

I did this and my game finally works! I about cryed in joy! Thank you so much! <33333333
  • Options
    @igazor

Heya! My gameplay and CAS have been running great since I limited the FPS like you said, however I am consistently crashing/freezing every time I go into Buy mode. It's not right away, usually it's about 30 seconds after opening a certain furniture type in the catalogue. The list of furniture opens and then my game freezes/crashes. I tried disabling Store Mode and Online Notifications in case that would help but it hasn't. Any clue on what is causing Buy Mode to crash/freeze my game? I've given up on playing because of it :(
  • Options
    @SirenRyanSims - Might there be any CC or other forms of added content in play that could be causing the crashes in Build/Buy?

What happens if you pull out or rename your TS3 user game folder, the one in Documents, thus letting the game spawn a fresh, no content user game folder to take its place? Are things more stable on that one? Your added content (if any) and game saves won't be there, but they will still be safe within the pulled out or renamed game folder.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > @SirenRyanSims - Might there be any CC or other forms of added content in play that could be causing the crashes in Build/Buy?
    >
    > What happens if you pull out or rename your TS3 user game folder, the one in Documents, thus letting the game spawn a fresh, no content user game folder to take its place? Are things more stable on that one? Your added content (if any) and game saves won't be there, but they will still be safe within the pulled out or renamed game folder.

The only CC I am using in game is CAS CC like hairstyles and makeup, I don't have any furniture or Build/Buy CC so I'm not sure if those could be connected to the crash in Buy Mode.

I renamed the file like you said and when I tried to launch, Origin prompted me to completely redownload the game and all packs. I did so, and booted it up, it worked perfectly fine, no build mode crashes. I then added all my same CC, and the game still works perfect. The only thing I have yet to add back in is all of my Sims 3 store content (clothes, furniture, and 3 worlds). I'm afraid to add them in case they were the issue, but I might try to tomorrow and if it causes crashes just try to uninstall Store content 1 by 1.
  • Options
    @SirenRyanSims - I have no idea why removing the user game folder would have triggered an Origin re-download like that, but honestly who even knows with Origin installs anymore (my game is on Steam and there are many other players who still use and prefer the retail disc version). We're all playing exactly the same game though as the differences between the game files themselves are trivial. The user game folder was always designed to be interchangeable.

But anyway, this does sound like progress and hope you can get back to enjoying your game soon. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!