Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Long legacies and max sim counts

mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
My legacy game (first one) is on generation 4. Every generation, the extended family gets a little bigger. We currently have a main household of 3 at college, their mother and 2 founding ghosts back home, uncle and his husband off in San Myshuno, aunt and her husband and toddler and baby on the way in Willow Creek. In addition there are 3 urns on the home lot with dear departed ghosts attached. So that's 15 sims just in the main family.

I've got a max 80 sim count in my game. It's starting to be weird for me that my family constitutes nearly 20% of the global population.

I haven't had any trouble meeting other sims, so far. There are always kids at the park, students at university, classmates and co-workers to meet if anyone chooses to use those options. I have noticed though that all the neighborhoods look very empty. Lots of vacant houses, even though I have the "fill vacant houses" box checked, vacant houses only get filled once in a while and then only in Willow Creek where the home lot is.

I'm just wondering what happens over time with you all who play these long legacies? Do you get to a point where your family is so huge that new sims don't get generated any more? (Do I have to start letting go of these ghosts eventually?)

Comments

• Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    I have 67 sims right now and on Gen 6, and yes I have so many family members that a lot of places end up being big family gatherings. To combat this, I enabled townies to have kids again(I had it off to control the population).

Weird thing is, MCCC reports that I have a total of 518 sims in my game and I only see the same townies over and over again which is basically the ones in all my neighborhoods. That's about 100 easy. I wonder where the other 350+(not counting my family of course) are lol.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I have anywhere between 600-1000 sims in my games. Are you sure you have fewer than 100 or are those just your played or saved households?
    I use MCCC so there are constantly sims going and coming, starting families, etc. There are a lot of "relatives," but after 4-5 generations (sharing a great-great or great-great-great grandparent), if they don't have the family name, I don't care anymore and don't count them mentally. The game doesn't recognize them as relatives either. I love seeing the family grow, though, and having big family gatherings, etc.
  • Options
    it is listed here

Screen-Shot-2021-04-14-at-2-53-48-PM.png

• Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    it is listed here

I could be wrong, but I think the "max 80 sims" only refers to the maximum number of Sims you can have in the "your household" tab. If you move one household into the "other households" tab, your number should go down.

Like if you move a three member household to "other households" your number should say 9/80 instead of 12/80. :)
  • Options
    xMyrthexMyrthe Posts: 56 Member
    it is listed here

I could be wrong, but I think the "max 80 sims" only refers to the maximum number of Sims you can have in the "your household" tab. If you move one household into the "other households" tab, your number should go down.

Like if you move a three member household to "other households" your number should say 9/80 instead of 12/80. :)

Yes you're correct. It doesn't mean there's only 80 sims total, it's just about the sims you're playing.

Anyhoo, to answer your question. "Fill vacant houses" never did anything for me. after a few generations all the townspeople would be dead, their houses empty and my sims would be the only ones around :').
    So I've turned off aging for NPCs and every now and then I create some new households to fill the town, with new skills and interests (also to fill my clubs).

• Options
    Aaahh okay thank you @MeowchaFrappe for clearing that up! So I have way more than 80 sims in the world, it's just that there is a limit on how many of those can be set as playable at once.

• Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I think that was also the favorited house like those in that group are generally safe from culling, I have a higher limit but the ones I keep don't get too high. Though when I don't do anything for a while and things look empty, is usually when I start grabbing sims from the gallery or something.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited April 2021
    My legacy game (first one) is on generation 4. Every generation, the extended family gets a little bigger. We currently have a main household of 3 at college, their mother and 2 founding ghosts back home, uncle and his husband off in San Myshuno, aunt and her husband and toddler and baby on the way in Willow Creek. In addition there are 3 urns on the home lot with dear departed ghosts attached. So that's 15 sims just in the main family.

I've got a max 80 sim count in my game. It's starting to be weird for me that my family constitutes nearly 20% of the global population.

I haven't had any trouble meeting other sims, so far. There are always kids at the park, students at university, classmates and co-workers to meet if anyone chooses to use those options. I have noticed though that all the neighborhoods look very empty. Lots of vacant houses, even though I have the "fill vacant houses" box checked, vacant houses only get filled once in a while and then only in Willow Creek where the home lot is.

I'm just wondering what happens over time with you all who play these long legacies? Do you get to a point where your family is so huge that new sims don't get generated any more? (Do I have to start letting go of these ghosts eventually?)

I'm still early in my legacy because I have an edited lifespan through MCC. My sims just became adults and their son is now 27 days away from becoming a teenager. 28 days for children and teens. 9 day pregnancies, and here's my edited lifespan for my sanity. LOL!

Babies: 7
    Toddlers: 30(so they have time to learn all toddler skills)
    Children: 28
    Teens: 28
    Young Adults: 50(college and pregnancies)
    Adults: 40
    Elders: 30+(+for sims who max out the fitness skill)

ETA: I keep my sim count in my game at 80 so it doesn't slow my game down.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    To control population, try giving your main or favorite sim(s) as many kids as they want, but give minor characters 1 baby max so there's not a never-ending population explosion. It's also good to come up with stories where a few sims either don't want kids or can't have them due to medical issues (they could maybe adopt a relative's child, such as a very young single sim who's not ready to be a mom).
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    I use MCCC so my unplayed sims are always getting married, having babies, etc. so I haven’t noticed any of the worlds feeling empty or anything. If I do or I just want more families with kids my sims can befriend I’ll just place some households from the gallery.

My legacy families often get very large, too, so to prevent that I don’t let non-heirs have more than one or two children. In my first legacy I just let MCCC do whatever it wanted with them and it got out of control. The family tree was too large to keep track of and it seemed like half the sims in my save were related to mine. Now that I’ve stopped that, my main sims still get to have nieces/nephews and cousins but the family isn’t taking over the entire save.