Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Male Pregnancy Trait

FrittiFritti Posts: 203 Member
edited March 2019 in CAS Custom Content
(I hope CAS is the right place to put this. I waffled between here and gameplay...)

The Male Pregnancy Trait is designed to provide a more "realistic" experience for pregnant male Sims.

I've always felt the male pregnancy experience in the Sims 4 could be improved so this is my attempt at making the gameplay a little more challenging and unique. I've approached it from the standpoint of an advanced medical procedure that a male Sim has chosen to undergo.

This trait offers two "base" moodlets:
• Experimental Medicine: +2 Tense (when not pregnant)
• Biological Changes: +8 Uncomfortable (when pregnant)

In addition, there are over 50 custom moodlets, most of which occur during pregnancy. These include: False Labor, Prenatal Vitamins, Sore Back and Swollen Feet, just to name a few. Some of them also come with custom buff tuning; being Dazed and Confused from fatigue and low blood sugar while pregnant also means your energy/vampire energy decays more quickly. It might be best that your Sim take a nap when that moodlet shows up! While they're not all negative, many of these moodlets are designed - like Biological Changes - to be extreme. Fighting past the discomfort your Sim is feeling when pregnant should not be easy.

Along with the custom moodlets, I have re-purposed many already in-game moodlets to simulate things like mood swings, as I very much wanted the experience to feel a bit like mad science. For example, if you have the Vampires game pack, you may see "Mysteriously X" emotion pop up as a possible result of said experimental medicine. If you have the Cool Kitchen Stuff pack, you may see the ice cream moodlets like Plant Matter appear as "nutritional supplements". If you have Spa Day or Outdoor Retreat, your Sim might come home from work with a Fertility treatment or potion. None of these expansions or packs are required; I've done my best to cover as many bases as possible within the confines of the base game, too.

CAVEAT: Because of the sheer number of moodlets I'm trying to re-use, I may have chosen some that don't exactly match with the trait theme as I didn't have their in-game text available to me and chose it because it sounded like it might work in context. Even with rigorous testing, I haven't seen all of them, so if you notice any that appear out of place, please let me know and I'll remove them. This also goes for icons for custom moodlets; when available, I chose ones available in the base game, so if you see any blank llamas, alert me to that as well.

The trait also comes with a whim set.

While the trait is called Male Pregnancy, I've done my best to make it transgender friendly. Rather than using male/female as my test condition, I'm using pee standing up/can be impregnated, although many of the moodlets use he/him as pronouns. I do not intend to re-create this trait for women.

Planned Updates:

• Broadcasters: Currently, adding broadcasters with MC4 causes the game to load very, very slowly (in excess of 15+ minutes). I've alerted Zerbu, but for the time being I have removed the broadcasters I added to the trait until this is fixed
• Tattoo: A CAS overlay to force a tattoo (I'm thinking wrist barcode) to Sims that have the trait
• More Moodlets: If you have anything you'd like to suggest, please let me know. It does not need to be strictly pregnancy related. Anything family oriented on normal interactions work as well. I've hit a creative wall which is why I've decided to publish rather than sitting on this trait for another few months
• Custom Interactions

Recommended Mods
Havem's Longer Pregnancy (I use THELONGESTPOSSIBLE because I am a masochist). It helps get the most from the mod, since the in-game duration for pregnancy is fairly short
Uncomfortable Overhaul from roBurky or Uncomfortable Changes from Zerbu (bring the pain)

The trait (along with in-game screenshots!) can be found on my Tumblr: https://sresla.tumblr.com/post/183709848212/male-pregnancy-trait

Additional Credits:
Zerbu for creating Mod Constructor v4 and being patient with my questions in Discord channel
Havem for discussing integration of their mod with mine; we decided against it because there was no way to restrict just for men, it's all or nothing with pregnancy
Sims 4 Studio which helped me re-create the trait when my original .ts4mc got corrupted. It also allowed me to edit the Active animation when the trait is selected to something more appropriate
Kutto who listened to me gripe, helped me work through some of my own issues with MC4 and provided the overlay code for my planned tattoo update
My poor Sims, who I have put through multiple trimesters over and over while testing

Updates
3/28/19: Identified via LE submission (thanks Onyxangel) conflict with “Be Funny” interactions. The “Dad Jokes” moodlet has been updated to be occasional, rather than relying on specific social interactions to trigger.

If anyone is receiving LEs from this mod and you're willing to share them, please let me know via PM. I have tested it in my own game with no mods except MP and received no errors, but it's possible one of the many random moodlets I added as part of the "mood swings" aspect won't play nicely if you don't have the pack/expansion it comes from. Given how many there are, it's possible to have playthroughs were you don't get to see everything (very likely, in fact). I'd rather just remove it completely if that's the case. It's also possible that it conflicts with something I've never used in my game as a mod - not sure what it could be but certainly possible - and in any case, I want to be pro-active about making sure people have a good experience with the trait.
Post edited by Fritti on

Comments

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited March 2019
    Fritti wrote: »
    (I hope CAS is the right place to put this. I waffled between here and gameplay...)

The Male Pregnancy Trait is designed to provide a more "realistic" experience for pregnant male Sims.

I've always felt the male pregnancy experience in the Sims 4 could be improved so this is my attempt at making the gameplay a little more challenging and unique. I've approached it from the standpoint of a risky, advanced medical procedure that a male Sim has chosen to undergo.

This trait offers two "base" moodlets:
    • Experimental Medicine: +2 Tense (when not pregnant)
    • Biological Changes: +8 Uncomfortable (when pregnant)

In addition, there are over 50 custom moodlets, most of which occur during pregnancy. These include: False Labor, Prenatal Vitamins, Sore Back and Swollen Feet, just to name a few. Some of them also come with custom buff tuning; being Dazed and Confused from fatigue and low blood sugar while pregnant also means your energy/vampire energy decays more quickly. It might be best that your Sim take a nap when that moodlet shows up! While they're not all negative, many of these moodlets are designed - like Biological Changes - to be extreme. Fighting past the discomfort your Sim is feeling when pregnant should not be easy.

Along with the custom moodlets, I have re-purposed many already in-game moodlets to simulate things like mood swings, as I very much wanted the experience to feel a bit like mad science. For example, if you have the Vampires game pack, you may see "Mysteriously X" emotion pop up as a possible result of said experimental medicine. If you have the Cool Kitchen Stuff pack, you may see the ice cream moodlets like Plant Matter appear as "nutritional supplements". If you have Spa Day or Outdoor Retreat, your Sim might come home from work with a Fertility treatment or potion. None of these expansions or packs are required; I've done my best to cover as many bases as possible within the confines of the base game, too.

CAVEAT: Because of the sheer number of moodlets I'm trying to re-use, I may have chosen some that don't exactly match with the trait theme as I didn't have their in-game text available to me and chose it because it sounded like it might work in context. Even with rigorous testing, I haven't seen all of them, so if you notice any that appear out of place, please let me know and I'll remove them. This also goes for icons for custom moodlets; when available, I chose ones available in the base game, so if you see any blank llamas, alert me to that as well.

The trait also comes with a whim set.

While the trait is called Male Pregnancy, I've done my best to make it transgender friendly. Rather than using male/female as my test condition, I'm using pee standing up/can be impregnated, although many of the moodlets use he/him as pronouns. I do not intend to re-create this trait for women.

Planned Updates:

• Broadcasters: Currently, adding broadcasters with MC4 causes the game to load very, very slowly (in excess of 15+ minutes). I've alerted Zerbu, but for the time being I have removed the broadcasters I added to the trait until this is fixed
    • Tattoo: A CAS overlay to force a tattoo (I'm thinking wrist barcode) to Sims that have the trait
    • More Moodlets: If you have anything you'd like to suggest, please let me know. It does not need to be strictly pregnancy related. Anything family oriented on normal interactions work as well. I've hit a creative wall which is why I've decided to publish rather than sitting on this trait for another few months
    • Custom Interactions

Required/Recommended Mods
    MCCC or Bub's Both Options (although the trait will work with male Sims who have been abducted by Aliens too) to allow for independent male pregnancy
    Havem's Longer Pregnancy (I use THELONGESTPOSSIBLE because I am a masochist). It helps get the most from the mod, since the in-game duration for pregnancy is fairly short
    Uncomfortable Overhaul from roBurky or Uncomfortable Changes from Zerbu (bring the pain)

The trait (along with in-game screenshots!) can be found on my Tumblr: https://sresla.tumblr.com/post/183709848212/male-pregnancy-trait

Additional Credits:
    Zerbu for creating Mod Constructor v4 and being patient with my questions in Discord channel
    Havem for discussing integration of their mod with mine; we decided against it because there was no way to restrict just for men, it's all or nothing with pregnancy
    Sims 4 Studio which helped me re-create the trait when my original .ts4mc got corrupted. It also allowed me to edit the Active animation when the trait is selected to something more appropriate
    Kutto who listened to me gripe, helped me work through some of my own issues with MC4 and provided the overlay code for my planned tattoo update
    My poor Sims, who I have put through multiple trimesters over and over while testing

I tried your mod I can see you put a lot of work into it have you thought about doing a update with whims like build nursery or talk about names interaction
    and I was wondering does your mod effect the spouse as well my sims alien wife has been very attentive she even gave him a message
    it was so cute
    I think Ultrasound Scan mod at LittleMsSam goes great with it to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    @comicsforlife

I used Mod Constructor v4 to add whims to the trait and I went back just now to look through the list and didn't see anything about building a nursery or talk about baby names. If those are current in-game whims, it may be they just haven't been added into the whim list we can select from within the program and I'm not sure how to add them in manually without knowing the specific code for it. I'll definitely continue to monitor whims as they're added to the program though, to try to keep it relevant.

Custom interactions themselves are something I'll be working on at some point though. The "Share Big News", "Ask Due Date" and "Ask to Feel Baby" seem pretty limited given how big an event having a baby is. However, I've never tried making any, even though Zerbu provides the tools to do so - so I'm sure I'm facing a little bit of a learning curve until they're added to the trait permanently.

Currently, the mod doesn't impact spouses although she may be reacting to him being in an uncomfortable state. This is also a planned update (to have spouses react more), but MC4 is currently experiencing an issue with broadcasters. I'm hoping this is fixed in the update that should be coming out in a few weeks and I'll be able to update it then.

I appreciate you giving the trait a try and hope it adds some more uniqueness to your game. Congrats on your Sims family on their upcoming new arrival!
  • Options
    @comicsforlife

I used Mod Constructor v4 to add whims to the trait and I went back just now to look through the list and didn't see anything about building a nursery or talk about baby names. If those are current in-game whims, it may be they just haven't been added into the whim list we can select from within the program and I'm not sure how to add them in manually without knowing the specific code for it. I'll definitely continue to monitor whims as they're added to the program though, to try to keep it relevant.

Custom interactions themselves are something I'll be working on at some point though. The "Share Big News", "Ask Due Date" and "Ask to Feel Baby" seem pretty limited given how big an event having a baby is. However, I've never tried making any, even though Zerbu provides the tools to do so - so I'm sure I'm facing a little bit of a learning curve until they're added to the trait permanently.

Currently, the mod doesn't impact spouses although she may be reacting to him being in an uncomfortable state. This is also a planned update (to have spouses react more), but MC4 is currently experiencing an issue with broadcasters. I'm hoping this is fixed in the update that should be coming out in a few weeks and I'll be able to update it then.

I appreciate you giving the trait a try and hope it adds some more uniqueness to your game. Congrats on your Sims family on their upcoming new arrival!
    there not current in-game whims I was just wondering if you could make them
  • Options
    @comicsforlife

Ah! I can put custom whims on my to-do list but I'm not sure there's a way to identify something like build a nursery since it would basically just be adding a room to the house and I think talking about baby names is more of a custom interaction than a whim. But, I will look into it. An update probably won't happen for a month or so, because I'd like to make sure everything is working alright for people (there's only so much solo-testing a person can do), before I start adding onto it further. Bug squishing and the like, although I'm hopeful there won't be much of that required.
  • Options
    @comicsforlife

Ah! I can put custom whims on my to-do list but I'm not sure there's a way to identify something like build a nursery since it would basically just be adding a room to the house and I think talking about baby names is more of a custom interaction than a whim. But, I will look into it. An update probably won't happen for a month or so, because I'd like to make sure everything is working alright for people (there's only so much solo-testing a person can do), before I start adding onto it further. Bug squishing and the like, although I'm hopeful there won't be much of that required.
    how about a whim to buy a crib or high chair
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    while I agree the pregnancy should be painful I think it would be more fun if the dominant emotion changed every day
    you know one day they could be real sad for no reason or angry for no reason or embarrassed a day because they feel fat
    or very flirty a whole day anyway sorry if I'm bothering you with my suggestion your mod just really got the ideas going
    or really gassy would be funny
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
  • Options
    @comicsforlife

You're not bothering me. I do recommend either Uncomfortable Overhaul by roBurky or Uncomfortable Changes from Zerbu, as both of them (although you only want one or the other) use Uncomfortable to boost other negative emotions and will result in exactly what you're describing. Even then, it sounds like you may not have encountered some of the other moodlets that can randomly pop up (sad, angry, tense, embarrassed are all in there, along with happy, inspired, even flirty!) which can result in even stronger results than Biological Changes.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @comicsforlife

You're not bothering me. I do recommend either Uncomfortable Overhaul by roBurky or Uncomfortable Changes from Zerbu, as both of them (although you only want one or the other) use Uncomfortable to boost other negative emotions and will result in exactly what you're describing. Even then, it sounds like you may not have encountered some of the other moodlets that can randomly pop up (sad, angry, tense, embarrassed are all in there, along with happy, inspired, even flirty!) which can result in even stronger results than Biological Changes.

oh I have but non of them ever override the Uncomfortable moodlet but then again I don't have the other mod
    or maybe it just hit my sim harder then most
  • Options
    wow it work great with the other mod you thought of everything so cool
    I know your not planing to make a female version but if you did I think you could be as big as mccammand
    because the female pregnancy in game is so boring
    but I think your mod going do great regardless well done
  • Options
    hay @LiELF you should try this mod its so good
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    hay @LiELF you should try this mod its so good

@comicsforlife Thanks for tagging me! This looks really interesting! I'm currently cleaning through my mods folder and getting rid of a bunch of CC, (which is a long process, haha) but I'll save this one with a few others that I plan to try out for when I'm finished!

I love the modding community, you guys do amazing things! <3
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    dysanikdysanik Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm having the problem of a Sim with "experimental medicine" status where it makes them a ghost. This is the 2nd time I've had it.

The first time with a different SIM, I returned to the game to see they'd "died by exposure" although they had been inside in bed and waking up when I came in-game. They were a ghost for several in-game hours and then turned back to normal.

THIS time, I returned in-game to see a different SIM as a ghost with the message they died by steam. They were no where near any steam nor do I have any packs like Spa Day. They have been a ghost a long time, with no indication of going back to normal. They still have the status of "experimental medicine" causing side effects.

Is this one of the normal side effects, a glitch bug or what?