Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we please get a massive update/overhaul or pack to expand holidays and festivals?

I've been playing a lot recently, and that is not a good thing because it has opened my eyes to all of the things that are missing or lacking in the game.

The holidays are getting old fast. I even edited mine to change it up a bit. I added a July 4th type holiday that involves drinking, fireworks, cookouts, and water activities. However, it would be nice if we had more water activities. It is so boring to watch my sims swim circles around the pool or go down the slip-n-slide 80 times. Can we please get more pool games? Diving games, Marco Polo, tag, breath holding contests, a usable volley ball net, floating basketball hoop, a normal diving board, and a water slide (or several different water slides)? It would also be nice to have some different foods like watermelon slices and popcicles. Maybe a return of the ice cream truck or lemonade stands?

I also changed Winter Fest to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so I could add my own traditions to it like baking and going to church. However, exchanging gifts is hard to do after you've celebrated in the same family more than once. We need more "Purchase Gift" options. The list of what we can buy is pretty lame right now. How many times can I buy my niece the same toys, ya know? Gifts options for adults and teens are even worse. Why can't we buy musical instruments or other larger items? Can we please update it? And can we add different items to the grand meal category? Some people eat roast for Christmas instead of Turkey or Ham. It would also be nice if you could add tamales to grand meals as well. It would also be nice to be able to assemble gingerbread houses as a family, drink hot chocolate by the fire, and watch Christmas movies on the TV.

Spooky Day/Halloween needs to be updated as well. I want to be able to send my kids trick-or-treating. We might not have an open world, but we do have open neighborhoods. My sim kids should be able to walk around their neighborhood and collect candy. And if this isn't possible, can we at least get booths that can be setup on a community lot and used to trick-or-treat? I would also like to see candy/caramel apples that we can make ourselves at home and purchase from a vendor at a festival, funnel cakes, and cotton candy. I'd also like to see a return of apple bobbing. Now that we have a crystal ball, it would be nice to expand its use to fortune telling. Can we please get tarot cards and the return of a fortune teller/fortune teller career. It would also be cool if we could get haunted houses back. It would be cool to have carnival games like ring toss, balloon darts, and so on. Please add the ability to couple skate to the ice and roller rink.

This is an unpopular opinion, but I would be willing to pay for a Game Pack that was entirely focused on expanding the holidays, festivals, and activities we already have in the game. Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited February 2021
    You sound like me creating holidays. July 4th is the Summer holiday my Sims celebrate and I too separate Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Father Winter comes to visit on Christmas Eve and the grand meal is on Christmas Day.
    I also researched Pagan holidays and set them in some of my households.

Yes, activities most definitely need an update. I love how they gave us the ability to allow our Sims to celebrate the holidays we wanted them to - THAT was diversity done right. No forcing anything on anyone - completely up to us what they celebrate. They just need to open up more activities to make them feel closer to what they are.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I wish it would be possible to have household specific holidays. Like some households to celebrate Winterfest, others to celebrate Hanukah, or Kwanzaa. We can't celebrate all of them because then no one works.
  • Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »
    You sound like me creating holidays. July 4th is the Summer holiday my Sims celebrate and I too separate Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Father Winter comes to visit on Christmas Eve and the grand meal is on Christmas Day.
    I also researched Pagan holidays and set them in some of my households.

Yes, activities most definitely need an update. I love how they gave us the ability to allow our Sims to celebrate the holidays we wanted them to - THAT was diversity done right. No forcing anything on anyone - completely up to us what they celebrate. They just need to open up more activities to make them feel closer to what they are.

Yes, I agree, it is good that we can customize it. I'm sure there are other holidays that I'm not familiar with that need some tweaking to make them better/more accurate as well.
  • Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I wish it would be possible to have household specific holidays. Like some households to celebrate Winterfest, others to celebrate Hanukah, or Kwanzaa. We can't celebrate all of them because then no one works.

Yes, I wish there was a better system for it. The universal calendar makes it difficult to tailor it. I also wish opting out didn't have a negative impact on Sims. That would allow us to selectively celebrate based on the household we're playing at the time without our Sims getting a negative moodlet.