Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Graphics cards

I am looking at a few gaming laptops for Sims 4. They all have 16gb Ram, 1tb SSD, i7, but different graphics cards. its between a Nvidia GTX 1660ti, 1650ti, or Nvidia RTX 2060. I know all 3 are decent cards but which one will I need to runs sims 4, all packs, mods and cc. I usually play on ultra settings too. Would the 2060 be overkill? I want it to last awhile.

Comments

• Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    All of these cards can run sims 4 on ultra. Sims 4 doesn't have ray tracing, so 2060 isn't necessary.
  • Options
    kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    I'm currently using a 1060 6 gb one with 16 gb ram, and I play on ultra, so you should be fine with all of the cards mentioned.
  • Options
    TantalusTantalus Posts: 200 Member
    Would the 2060 be overkill? I want it to last awhile.

Yes, it will. NOBODY should buy an RTX. Unless you play on 4k resolutions. Sims 4 will run on ultra on mid-gamma cards. It doesnt require too much graphics power (today). What do you mean you want it to last a while??? to be able to play other new generation games on ultra? I have the 1660 ti and its an amazing card. It runs ALL games from today on ultra without sweat. But again, im playing on 1080p. Like most gamers. If you going to play on 4k.. thats another story.
  • Options
    baxter_milobaxter_milo Posts: 1,877 Member
    Tantalus wrote: »
    Would the 2060 be overkill? I want it to last awhile.

Yes, it will. NOBODY should buy an RTX. Unless you play on 4k resolutions. Sims 4 will run on ultra on mid-gamma cards. It doesnt require too much graphics power (today). What do you mean you want it to last a while??? to be able to play other new generation games on ultra? I have the 1660 ti and its an amazing card. It runs ALL games from today on ultra without sweat. But again, im playing on 1080p. Like most gamers. If you going to play on 4k.. thats another story.

By lasting awhile I mean I won’t be able to buy a gaming laptop for awhile so this one would have to last. I don’t even know what 4K is. I’d just be playing on ultra settings probably similar to what you’re playing.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited February 2021
    Sims4 doesn't make use of the better graphics cards, the game can lag sometimes on people who are running very high-end graphics cards. So if you want to play just the sims4 then you should be fine with one of the cheaper cards. The increased VRAM could maybe help with performance a bit, but not much. If you play with a lot of cc, then a better graphics card can help the game with rendering that better, because cc often uses very high resolution textures.

What I recommend though is a good CPU, because it helps with simulation lag.

I would go for the 2060 but I play other games, I have a 1080 and I like it a lot, it's silent, powerful and fast.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I am looking at a few gaming laptops for Sims 4. They all have 16gb Ram, 1tb SSD, i7, but different graphics cards. its between a Nvidia GTX 1660ti, 1650ti, or Nvidia RTX 2060. I know all 3 are decent cards but which one will I need to runs sims 4, all packs, mods and cc. I usually play on ultra settings too. Would the 2060 be overkill? I want it to last awhile.

If you do not plan on playing any other games other than Sims than I would not necessarily think an 2060 is necessary. The only thing is unlike the desktop if you decide you want an much more powerful card you are stuck as majority of the laptops are only good for that time period and are not upgradable. If you can get an laptop with an 2060 on sale go for it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen