Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need help starting a CAW project

I’ve been getting very frustrated with my current CAW project. I’m not good at making coastlines or mountains that look decent, so I’ve always only modified existing worlds. But this creates a lot of issues I have to deal with that I could avoid if I started with an empty terrain map, and I am about ready to give up in despair with my latest project, a world that I want to have room for all of the community lots I ever use, plus enough housing for a growing population, long term. If one of you experienced world builders would be so kind as to get a world started for me, I would very much appreciate it.

I need a large, mostly flat world with enough ocean area for 3 dive lots, and a long enough coastline for 2 or 3 beaches, some ports, a few beach cottages on stilted foundations at the water’s edge, a surf wave station lot, and the boardwalk. If you could start with the SV distant terrain, make the coastline and any mountains around the periphery that are necessary to blend with it at the edges, and paint the mountains, then give me the world files, I can take it from there.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to do this for me.

Comments

• Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 7,000 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm sorry but I don't know of too many simmers skilled in Create A World that would be willing to make a custom empty world just for a single person to use. You may come across someone who is willing to do that for you, but I wouldn't count on it. Even so what you're asking for is not that hard to do, its just a bit time consuming.

You should probably start out by practicing making mountains and coastlines if you're really not that good at it. Make a small world with the best mountains and coastlines as possibly can until you get really good at it. Practice makes perfect as the old saying goes.

If your issue is making them fit with the distant terrain, than maybe you shouldn't use distant terrain objects at all. Make a small world on a large map. Paint all but a small section of the map with the camera non routable terrain paint and that way you can use that area as your distant terrain. Sure you won't have as much space to place lots, and you may not be able to include everything that you initially wanted to, but it does work.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Some of the world builders here have made entire worlds for other players who requested it. So I see no reason I should not ask. If nobody wants to do it, then so be it, but there's no harm in asking.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Never said there was any harm in asking, but there are fewer and fewer people making worlds these days, so you may not be able to relay on anyone else at this point. I might actually agree to what you were asking and make you the map myself, but I am currently busy working on my own stuff and even if I wasn't, I would be afraid that if I ended up really liking the map that I created, that I would want to use it myself for my own world instead. I hope that you are able to get someone to help you, but if not, what you're asking for, really is not that difficult once you have some experience.
  • Options
    OK, so I just have to ask, how would liking something and wanting to use it for yourself prevent you from also sharing it with someone else? I've shared numerous houses and community lots I've made through the years, but that has never prevented me from using them myself. Even if you were to make the terrain for me and wanted to use it for yourself, by the time we each finished with our worlds, they would likely bear little resemblance to each other.
  • Options
    That might be true. One problem is through that if you use the same map file for two separate maps, the exchange will mistake them for the same map, unless you edit the file in such a way that it doesn't do that. Its fixable, but I would have to remember to do it. Anyway it doesn't really matter, because like I said, I don't really have time unfortunately.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    <snip>

I need a large, mostly flat world with enough ocean area for 3 dive lots, and a long enough coastline for 2 or 3 beaches, some ports, a few beach cottages on stilted foundations at the water’s edge, a surf wave station lot, and the boardwalk. If you could start with the SV distant terrain, make the coastline and any mountains around the periphery that are necessary to blend with it at the edges, and paint the mountains, then give me the world files, I can take it from there.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to do this for me.

Hi :)

Since you want the map to fit SV, why not use the Sunset Valley map which is available in CAW. You can use the coastline already made and just extent it. :)

Have you already tried it?
    Imight be able to edit that world (I don't like the SV distant terrain) since you want what it already has, if you're not able.
  • Options
    KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    edited February 2021
    Hello,
    Have you tried the empty worlds from http://mysimrealty.com/Sims3_EmptyWorlds.html#empty ?
    Namely Deery Meadows or SimLua Islands? They both seem accommodating. The caw files are available as well, under the "details" tab.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @Rflong7 Thank you for offering to help. I've tried using Sunset Valley lite, but I can't get the distant terrain to work. I've looked up tutorials, but every attempt has been a disaster. But it occurred to me today that I could get a blank version with the distant terrain already in place, by removing the layers from Sunset Valley itself. Then I realized I can fix the lag and hovering/buried object issues in my current project by removing the tree and world object layers, and placing fewer items back in, once the terrain is finished. So I'm going to do that. Thank you for your willingness to help, not just this time, but also all the other times you've answered questions about my CAW projects.