Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Pay to Play?

TEXASKITTYKATTEXASKITTYKAT Posts: 5,909 Member
Is it true that EA is now charging people to play TS4?

Comments

• Options
    PennyDreadPriestessPennyDreadPriestess Posts: 267 Member
    edited February 2021
    Post edited by PennyDreadPriestess on
  • Options
    I can't find an official announcement from EA itself.

Which is really annoying. I'd like to know. If I have to have a paid subscription to EA to keep playing, I won't be doing it. But with the money I've spent on Sims4 over this past year, I will be REALLY peeved if that happens.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Of course not if you already bought the game.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    It confused me, because you launch the game from the Origin app. If they do indeed retire that platform, then presumably you would have to launch Sims from the new EA Play app instead? And EA Play appears to be a paid subscription.

So yeah, what does that mean for existing players, being that we do not own hard copies of the game?

That's the question I could not find an answer for, basically.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited February 2021
    It confused me, because you launch the game from the Origin app. If they do indeed retire that platform, then presumably you would have to launch Sims from the new EA Play app instead? And EA Play appears to be a paid subscription.

So yeah, what does that mean for existing players, being that we do not own hard copies of the game?

https://www.ea.com/news/ea-desktop-app

If you’re an Origin™ player, your friends list and progress on eligible games will carry over. And rest assured that you can still access all of your content on Origin, so you can pick where you play.

EA Play is just part of the EA desktop app. The EA desktop app is just like Origin but like rebranded and has more features, that's all.

Hope that answers your questions.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited February 2021

If they retire the platform you launch the game from your files at c:/program files(x64)/origin games/sims 4/game/bin/sims 4 (or whatever other path where you installed it). Just as you can do now.
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Kind of off topic, but this thread made me look into the EA app and I like it a lot. It runs faster than Origin.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for the info @DeKay and @telmarina