Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Computers and TVs are too expensive.

Gtompkins48Gtompkins48 Posts: 477 Member
edited December 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Computers and TVs are unrealistically expensive and over-inflate the value of homes. Times have changed and these items should have their prices reduced in a patch. In real life, I can buy a 55" flatscreen for $500 and even some 75" TVs are less than $1,000 USD. In the game, the outdated tube TV is almost $1,000 and a small flatscreen is $2,500. The larger flat screens are 5k and 8k, outrageously expensive. Computers are even worse. In real life, most people can buy a pretty nice gaming PC for $1,000 or even less. In-game, the stupid university laptop is over $4,000!

A lot of people use the money cheat and don't care, but these prices are a bit silly for people who want to play without cheats. Almost none of my houses have computers because of the price, and most of my families only have TVs in the living room. I do remember that in the 90s and early '00s, these items would cost a fortune. But they are cheaper now. Consider a change!

EDIT: Might as well add sound systems to this as well. $700 for the imitation Alexa speaker?
Post edited by Gtompkins48 on

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I don’t think that Simoleon to USD/EUR is a 1:1 conversion rate, but are instead, furniture items’ values are calculated by how much of a benefit it provides to a Sim in addition to how it looks, aesthetically. I was curious, and the wiki does actually show the range of TV prices (not sure how updated this is) per game, where you can see the prices are trending downwards with each Sims game.

I don’t know if they’d go back and change these prices to better reflect how they’ve gone down in value, but I feel that it’s just a product of having a Sims game last longer; it struggles to keep up with these small reflections of real life in comparison to a refreshed base game. Imagine if we were playing The Sims 2 halfway or 2/3 of the way into The Sims 3’s lifespan? Revisit The Sims 2 — today, most of its clothing styles, wallpaper, furniture, etc. is all out of trend, and was during TS3, I’d even say. Heck, if you go back to The Sims 3 today, you’ll probably feel the same way, too, albeit to a lesser extent.

• Options
    Gtompkins48Gtompkins48 Posts: 477 Member
    edited December 2020
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I don’t think that Simoleon to USD/EUR is a 1:1 conversion rate, but are instead, furniture items’ values are calculated by how much of a benefit it provides to a Sim in addition to how it looks, aesthetically. I was curious, and the wiki does actually show the range of TV prices (not sure how updated this is) per game, where you can see the prices are trending downwards with each Sims game.

I don’t know if they’d go back and change these prices to better reflect how they’ve gone down in value, but I feel that it’s just a product of having a Sims game last longer; it struggles to keep up with these small reflections of real life in comparison to a refreshed base game. Imagine if we were playing The Sims 2 halfway or 2/3 of the way into The Sims 3’s lifespan? Revisit The Sims 2 — today, most of its clothing styles, wallpaper, furniture, etc. is all out of trend, and was during TS3, I’d even say. Heck, if you go back to The Sims 3 today, you’ll probably feel the same way, too, albeit to a lesser extent.

That's an interesting idea, that items could be priced to reflect gameplay value as opposed to real world value. I tend to play my game very realistically, so I always want to give each bedroom its own laptop, TV, etc. But for gameplay purposes you probably only need one computer for the whole house.
  • Options
    YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    edited December 2020
    Majority of my sims can't afford having a computer XD I don''t mind it, I really the challenge, they need to work if they want it and they go to libraries or internet cafes when they need to use it. What I wish that they couldn't afford is a cellphone XD So people would stopped texting and calling them all the time :D
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    The game shouldn’t take away any more challenges .. the game is already easy imo.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I enjoy the challenge. In fact, playing without the computer or tv helps in looking for meaningful gameplay to me.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    The price tags in this game make absolutly no freaking sence :p
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    The game shouldn’t take away any more challenges .. the game is already easy imo.

This. There are hardly any expensive items, so it's good that computers are costly.
  • Options
    smilepandasmilepanda Posts: 101 Member
    It would be nice to have a really cheap laptop in the game. To keep the challenge, it could always break or give them a bad moodlet.