Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Transferring to new computer?

Hey all,

Basically my question is: Is there somehow any way for me to transfer my Sims 3 games from my original laptop to my new one? Mainly just the expansion packs. Not the save files, I mean the games/packs themselves.

Unfortunately my WiFi is so bad here at home that I'm currently on hour 11 of trying to get this one expansion to download from my Origin account... and would love if there's some way I can bypass having to use the internet to install it. But I know I'm asking for something probably impossible here. Sigh.

Just let me know. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited December 2020
    There is a way that usually works, if you want to try.
    • Start the download of a pack, then pause (but don't cancel) it.
    • Copy the folder for that pack to the correct location.
    • Resume the download in Origin, and Origin should just verify the files and finish.
    The pack folders are inside the Sims 4 3* folder in program files, and they're labeled by type and release order, e.g. Seasons was the eighth expansion released, so its folder is EP08.

It may also help to repair the game when you're done installing everything: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair. However, this can take a while if you have a bad connection, and it can also take a while for no good reason, and eat CPU resources while it's at it. So you might want to skip the repair unless your game isn't working.

sigh
    Post edited by puzzlezaddict on
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The pack folders are inside the Sims 4 folder in program files, and they're labeled by type and release order, e.g. Seasons was the eighth expansion released, so its folder is EP08.
    Sensing a bit of a typo there... :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Kisky2002Kisky2002 Posts: 114 Member
    There is a way that usually works, if you want to try.
    • Start the download of a pack, then pause (but don't cancel) it.
    • Copy the folder for that pack to the correct location.
    • Resume the download in Origin, and Origin should just verify the files and finish.
    The pack folders are inside the Sims 4 folder in program files, and they're labeled by type and release order, e.g. Seasons was the eighth expansion released, so its folder is EP08.

It may also help to repair the game when you're done installing everything: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair. However, this can take a while if you have a bad connection, and it can also take a while for no good reason, and eat CPU resources while it's at it. So you might want to skip the repair unless your game isn't working.

Ahh that worked wonderfully! Thank you so much!