Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

PC CRASHES WITH SIMS 4 NOT TO DESKTOP -- CRASHES MY PC COMPLETELY ( PC IS HIGH SPECS )

TEXASTWANGTONYATEXASTWANGTONYA Posts: 4,940 Member
OK, So the patch worked on crashing to DESKTOP ........ NOW My Whole PC Crashes???? It's NEVER Done that with any game.... the specs are over the recommend by far.... Anyone have suggestions or anyone having this issue its literally unplayable .... My PC has a Fast Processor .... 8G....... 1 TB EVERYTHING works perfectly on my pc ....... I don't know what's going on.... Help Please & Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    My game is crashing also. Before the hotfix patch it would just crash and kick me out to the desktop and not very often. After the hotfix patch my game just freezes and I have to use task manager to exit the game and this type of crash is happening more often. I'm just over it at this point. The game is a hot mess and the amount of time it takes them to fix anything is actually disgusting.
  • Options
    IS your pc crashing too @Sharonia at first it was the game crashing to desktop ....... now my game is crashing MY SYSTEM...... My PC SHUTS DOWN...... ! I don't even experience much freezing some yes due to mods.... but never anything bad... just for a few seconds .... YES I know its not my PC.... Nothing crashes my PC..... I don't have freezing with my PC.... This is BS Right We have invested hundreds of dollars in this game and this is like you said disgusting
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    IS your pc crashing too @Sharonia at first it was the game crashing to desktop ....... now my game is crashing MY SYSTEM...... My PC SHUTS DOWN...... ! I don't even experience much freezing some yes due to mods.... but never anything bad... just for a few seconds .... YES I know its not my PC.... Nothing crashes my PC..... I don't have freezing with my PC.... This is BS Right We have invested hundreds of dollars in this game and this is like you said disgusting

No in my game all of my sims will just freeze in place but the game still remains open. I can't exit the game without using task manager to shut it down. It's very frustrating. :(
  • Options
    Yes mine did that long ago with a huge patch I think it was the swatches patch etc
  • Options
    TantalusTantalus Posts: 200 Member
    I think you guys have a serious conflict in your system. The majority of people dont have crashes or freezes. If i were you i would recheck all the devices installed in my system, check that there are no problems (specially with the sound as it was the problem of the previous patch) and re-check the apps i have in the background, do a malware check, etc.

For me the game runs great. Even better than before, it started a bit cluncky but now it works amazingly well. I mean, despite all the bugs of course..
  • Options
    grayhorseranchgrayhorseranch Posts: 33 Member
    Mine just wont open! Stays on the loading screen and wont load (I left it once for 12 hours - still didn't load)! Ive tried everything. Updating, repairing, logging out, uninstalling and re-installing. Gets a bit ridiculous that it takes me up to 3 days to get it fixed before I can play :(
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Tantalus wrote: »
    I think you guys have a serious conflict in your system. The majority of people dont have crashes or freezes. If i were you i would recheck all the devices installed in my system, check that there are no problems (specially with the sound as it was the problem of the previous patch) and re-check the apps i have in the background, do a malware check, etc.

For me the game runs great. Even better than before, it started a bit cluncky but now it works amazingly well. I mean, despite all the bugs of course..

Nope nothing is conflicting on my end. The problem once again is Maxis not fully testing their products. It turned out that the issue causing my game to freeze was the placement of the six seat kotatsu within the Nishdake household. It is placed on a platform with barely any space around it and each time my sims went to clean up empty bowls from the side near the door it would freeze up my game. I’ve moved the kotatsu and now my game is working fine again. They should probably look into it before it causes more people issues.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Mine just wont open! Stays on the loading screen and wont load (I left it once for 12 hours - still didn't load)! Ive tried everything. Updating, repairing, logging out, uninstalling and re-installing. Gets a bit ridiculous that it takes me up to 3 days to get it fixed before I can play :(

When that happened to me, the endless load screen, I moved my TS4 folder out of My Documents to my desktop and started the game to generate a new folder, tested the game was ok, then put my mods, tray, and save files back into the newly generated TS4 folder and that fixed the endless loading.

I've never, not one had my game crash prior to the SE hotfix patch. The original patch did not cause any issues with loading, lag, sounds, or crashing. After I installed the hotfix all seemed fine, until I actually was playing for awhile and I had 2 crashes (I do have mods and CC which are all updated). One crash (without warning) just took me back to the desktop. The other crash froze while at a festival and then finally crashed to desktop.

I have not tried to play since then. I did load the game today to check on the SE survey that some people got and it took a much longer time load.

I've put it aside for now and have been playing TS3 the last few days until after the skintone update patch is out.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    I only hope everyone with crashes have tried without mods also.. as there is several of mods , even long after patch what has to be redownloaded.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Guys, I might have some solutions. I was just coming on here to make a post about my discoveries today but since this thread is here, I'm going to just post here.

So I bought Eco Lifestyle at half off yesterday, downloaded it, then repaired my game. When I opened my game, it was a chugging disaster. I immediately attributed it to that pack. Now, I'd been having a little bit of stutter and glitch here and there lately, but for the most part my game was okay. I have a system above recommended specs so I felt it should be running better than that, and when I saw people say after the last corrective patch that their games have been running even smoother than before, I had a feeling something was wrong. I also noticed that my PC had a stutter here and there and that had me worried. Also, when I saved my game, it hung for over a minute, which it had never done before, and it was really choppy switching between build/buy and live mode.

Well, last night, I shut my game down for the night and went to shut down my PC (Windows 10) ...and it hung in stasis. I saw a message saying that a program was preventing Windows from shutting down, and that program was Origin. So I made a mental note, waited for it to finally shut down and decided to leave it for today.

So today, first thing I did was checked my Windows Firewall. I've had to manually add a couple of games to it lately and realized I had never checked if Origin was on the list of exclusions. Sure enough, when I looked in, Origin wasn't anywhere on the list where my games and safe programs are checked. So I had to manually go into my files and add the Origin exe file to the list and check the boxes. I also did some internet research and it said to do the same.

Then I went to clear the Origin cache files as suggested by @crinrict here: https://crinrict.com/blog/2014/09/delete-origin-cache-files.html (which I do every once in a while to keep them fresh) and there was a file I couldn't delete because it was "being used". So I opened Task Manager and saw there was still an Origin webhelper service running so I shut that down, then deleted the file in the cache folder.

When I restarted Origin, it suddenly had an update, so I did that. Then I had to sign back into Origin to get to my game. I started Sims 4 and noticed a change immediately. Went into a saved game and everything was smooth, completely different from the night before. Gallery was quick to load, saving was short, was able to switch easily between live mode and build/buy, and my Sims had no freezes or stutters. So the problem was most likely in either Windows or Origin, or both.

TLDR: So I recommend to check your firewall for Origin and Sims 4 exemptions, shut down Origin in task manager and clear the Origin cache as suggested in Crin's link and then try the game again and see if it helps. Windows might be identifying Origin as an unsafe program and preventing you from running it, and Origin might need an update.

I hope this helps someone.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    My game is working fine again now and I’m actually really pleased about it. I hope the op of this thread can play their game soon too and anybody else that is struggling with issues.
  • Options
    kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    I've had crasehes also, not s many but the ones who happens after freezing and unresponsive sims. After looking it up I ( in my case ) it was my ram usage suddenly rocketing sky high to over 10 gb of ram instead of my normal usage of 2-3 something. If I've understood this right it happens because of father winter keeps being generated causing your ram to go to high. I've deleted the winterfest to see if it will help in my game. It may not be what caused your issue, but thought I'd let you know :)
  • Options
    TantalusTantalus Posts: 200 Member
    Also, too many platforms and raised floors can cause performance issues. Paths are a real RAM and resources eater, if a sim is walking through a path crossing a plattform, the game struggles a lot to keep the sim in that path. Also, everytime a sim goes down and up over a plattform, a new animation is required and a sync with the regular floor, that leads to even more use of performance as well. Thats one of the reasons i try to avoid plattforms, despite how "good" people say they are. And i didnt start with pathing issues....
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited December 2020
    mine tends to freeze everything sometimes when i close the game or go to manage worlds and i cant open task manager to close the game cause game keeps being on top of it so i have to restart computer to get out of the lag ._.' but that was already problem before platform patch

and yes i have quite new computer that plays ultra with no problems so idk whats up with that

Don't have eco, wars or snowy so its not one of those packs being problem

and I also don't use any mods

it might be that my builds are just overly complicated though and take lot of resource and ram cause i build a lot and it has mainly happened in save where i have been remaking all the worlds
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    FerrenFerren Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Sharonia said:
    > No in my game all of my sims will just freeze in place but the game still remains open. I can't exit the game without using task manager to shut it down. It's very frustrating. :(

I'm having exactly the same issue. All sims just freeze, but the window stays open and although the clock stops, the light still changes as though time is passing. Then can't close the game without task manager. Really annoying!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Ferren wrote: »
    > @Sharonia said:
    > No in my game all of my sims will just freeze in place but the game still remains open. I can't exit the game without using task manager to shut it down. It's very frustrating. :(

I'm having exactly the same issue. All sims just freeze, but the window stays open and although the clock stops, the light still changes as though time is passing. Then can't close the game without task manager. Really annoying!

I managed to fix the issue. For me it was the placement of the six seat Kotasu in the Nishidake household that was causing the problem. It had been placed on a platform with not much space around it and even though the game showed that the item did fit in that space it also didn't seem to like it placed there. My game was crashing each time sims would grab empty bowls or plates from it. I switched out the six seat kotasu for a four seat kotasu and now my game is working fine again. Maybe you're game is having similar issues?
  • Options
    Echo17121Echo17121 Posts: 88 Member
    Mine was doing full crashes and it turns out I had a bad stick of ram. I just got the computer in August so it def happens. I sent it back and they are repairing it now. If you can take a stick out at a time try that. Make sure you ground yourself first.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    edited December 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    Guys, I might have some solutions. I was just coming on here to make a post about my discoveries today but since this thread is here, I'm going to just post here.

*snip*

This actually did help me a lot, thank you. It's one of those things I've done in the past but forgotten about and I was getting frustrated with some performance issues but doing this made an immediate and very noticeable improvement.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

So I bought Eco Lifestyle at half off yesterday, downloaded it, then repaired my game. When I opened my game, it was a chugging disaster. I immediately attributed it to that pack. Now, I'd been having a little bit of stutter and glitch here and there lately, but for the most part my game was okay. I have a system above recommended specs so I felt it should be running better than that, and when I saw people say after the last corrective patch that their games have been running even smoother than before, I had a feeling something was wrong. I also noticed that my PC had a stutter here and there and that had me worried. Also, when I saved my game, it hung for over a minute, which it had never done before, and it was really choppy switching between build/buy and live mode.

Well, last night, I shut my game down for the night and went to shut down my PC (Windows 10) ...and it hung in stasis. I saw a message saying that a program was preventing Windows from shutting down, and that program was Origin. So I made a mental note, waited for it to finally shut down and decided to leave it for today.

So today, first thing I did was checked my Windows Firewall. I've had to manually add a couple of games to it lately and realized I had never checked if Origin was on the list of exclusions. Sure enough, when I looked in, Origin wasn't anywhere on the list where my games and safe programs are checked. So I had to manually go into my files and add the Origin exe file to the list and check the boxes. I also did some internet research and it said to do the same.

Then I went to clear the Origin cache files as suggested by @crinrict here: https://crinrict.com/blog/2014/09/delete-origin-cache-files.html (which I do every once in a while to keep them fresh) and there was a file I couldn't delete because it was "being used". So I opened Task Manager and saw there was still an Origin webhelper service running so I shut that down, then deleted the file in the cache folder.

When I restarted Origin, it suddenly had an update, so I did that. Then I had to sign back into Origin to get to my game. I started Sims 4 and noticed a change immediately. Went into a saved game and everything was smooth, completely different from the night before. Gallery was quick to load, saving was short, was able to switch easily between live mode and build/buy, and my Sims had no freezes or stutters. So the problem was most likely in either Windows or Origin, or both.

TLDR: So I recommend to check your firewall for Origin and Sims 4 exemptions, shut down Origin in task manager and clear the Origin cache as suggested in Crin's link and then try the game again and see if it helps. Windows might be identifying Origin as an unsafe program and preventing you from running it, and Origin might need an update.

I did notice when downloading the pre-patch for SE I got a dialogue box from my antivirus software requesting permissions for TheSims4.exe and Origin because they were engaged in questionable activities (not exact wording but close), I have never ever seen that before so I wonder if a recent Windows update has changed the way it interacts with the game files?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    @Simpatsyann Awesome! I'm glad it helped someone! I was so shocked at how amazing my game performance was after all that troubleshooting so I had to share with people.

@Pamtastic72 I was wondering that too. Windows updates all the time, so something could have changed so that if Origin didn't update to accommodate it, it would be blocked. So I'm not sure if it was an Origin or Windows flaw. My Origin did have a hidden update waiting that for some reason wasn't registering, so in my situation, it was both.

An easier solution for people who don't know how to add programs to their firewall would be to run both Origin and Sims 4 in Administrator mode. That could help with performance and blockage as well, though possibly not as efficiently.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Thanks Resolved it was my mods that broke when coding was done with update