Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Advice for a new-old player?

I just found my old Sims3 game disc, and my laptop wouldn't read it, but hubs' laptop would, and I managed to play it on his. Took forever to install but once that was done, it only plays with the disc in, but there's no issue with long load time or anything, just an annoying flicker/vertical skip at the top quarter of the screen.

But I'm starting from scratch, made a character, moved him to the Mosquito Cove (or whatever the name was, had mosquito in it) and entered him into the culinary career. Already happy about the comparative depth of gameplay. Not sure what to do next.

Saw someone had a pool table in their What Happened in your game thread, where do you get that?!

Anyway, trying to rediscover this despite the screen flicker, and so far, it's exciting. Hoping for that old Sims feeling, in which there are surprises, personalities that stick, consequences to actions.

Any advice on the screen flicker and/or how to get packs or a pool table, most welcome!
Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited November 2020
    Pool tables came with Showtime and University I think?
    You can buy packs off of Origin.
  • Options
    RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    If DVD bothers you, you can use Origin, register your CD key there, and update your game to 1.69. This way you can launch without using DVDs. Though after that update, you need to use Origin to launch the game, instead of DVD. If you are going to use Origin to buy packs you are going to get that update anyway so just wanted to point that out.

And yes, pool tables are available in Showtime, University Life and also Into the Future.

Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    For the flickering, does it happen in both fullscreen and windowed modes? Often, switching from one to the other helps, as does enabling vertical sync in fullscreen mode. The settings available and how to change them will depend on the graphics card(s) in the laptop.

If this is a gaming laptop, it's also a very good idea to manually cap framerates, since even a mid-tier GPU can generate wildly high fps and overwork itself in the process. Again, the options you have will depend on the graphics card in the laptop, as well as whether you'd prefer to play in fullscreen or windowed, but there are plenty of tools you can try.

To see your in-game framerates, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes. A number will appear in the upper right corner of your screen, and it should never go above the refresh rate of the laptop screen.
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    How fun!

I remember when I started it was enjoyable to play with many sims in the same household to see their interactions, this way I think the game is more dynamic.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited December 2020
    What kind of flickering? My trees in my game flicker and so do some of the furniture.
    I've asked multiple people, swapped out 3 computers, etc.and nothing really got rid of it.
    I think its just a nvidia thing.I did get on live chat with them and they helped me change some settings
    in the nvidia control panel and it made it much more tolerable.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I used to have flickering in the game when I was still using Radeon card, try reseting Radeon graphic setting to default that's what fixed the flickering for me in the past, I believe the driver anisotropic filtering and anti aliasing override setting caused this.
    ihavemultiplegamertags