Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Free the Onsen lot type please!!!

So the 30x20 Onsen lot is locked to stay as an Onsen.
As a person that enjoys redesigning the worlds to suite my own personal play style I find this feature really restricting.
An example, my 50x50 lot in the mountains I have designated my Onsen lot, so my 30x20 lot can be a hangout place for my ski club to meet without the Onsen taking my club away from the slopes (which has been a problem in my game)
Leaving me with one rental (for other families) and one residential lot.
However my hangout can only be an Onsen, even when downloading a fab hangout build from the gallery the locked lot deletes all objects because it’s not an Onsen lot type.
Please free this lot so simmers can use their own creative minds to put lots where they want.

Comments

• Options
    thenightcourtthenightcourt Posts: 173 Member
    They removed the ability to change lot types, on that one lot? That’s......bizarre.
    Never forgive, always forget.
  • Options
    clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    I tried downloading and it kept saying lot type locked :'(
  • Options
    waxesnostalgicwaxesnostalgic Posts: 38 Member
    They removed the ability to change lot types, on that one lot? That’s......bizarre.

There are other locked lots in the game, like the Chalet Gardens in Windenburg, Ancient Ruins, etc. However those are in a more vague “generic ish” category so you can do more with them.

I can see how that would be annoying to have to have the onsen required objects.
  • Options

There are other locked lots in the game, like the Chalet Gardens in Windenburg, Ancient Ruins, etc. However those are in a more vague “generic ish” category so you can do more with them.

I can see how that would be annoying to have to have the onsen required objects.

I don’t mind the chalet and ancient ruins coz as you say they are generic, kinda like parks. But this Onsen one is really killing my creative visionary for the mountain.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Personally I would have preferred to have the onsen in other neighborhoods with changeable weather. In the current world no one uses it during a blizzard and they tend to happen. I am going to redesign the onsen into a more western looking hot springs bath house and put the hot springs in the basement so they can be enjoyed regardless of weather conditions. Maybe you could do something similar and hide the hot springs in the basement and add a bar and TV and whatever else you think you need for your hangout in accessible floors.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    They should change this, maybe give a warning that an onsen is best suited for this lot because of such and such, but then give us the option to ignore that and just do what we want with it.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    I believe it is because the mountain climbing event is programed to start at the Onsen.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I believe it is because the mountain climbing event is programed to start at the Onsen.

Yes, but how hard would it be to program it to start at whatever name the player names the lot?
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Yes, but how hard would it be to program it to start at whatever name the player names the lot?

Based on how other events behave, I think the programming is more "allowed lot type = Onsen" than "must start at lot X" though I'm sure there's an element of that as they wouldn't want you to be able to start the mountain climb from any onsen you create (especially if it's in a different world.)

I don't have the pack yet, but it might be worth testing.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    It probably has to do with the routing. If all sims start at that one single point and walk or hike a designated route with that starting point, that's probably why. I think you can only change the look of the building.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

I think you are right. And I also think that if the way they are going to implement something is going to put restrictions on what players can do, then they need to scrap that implementation and redo it in a way that allows us to do what we want. As is we have our sims zoning into a lot that tells them to go shower and get in the hot springs when we just want them to go sledging or start their mountain climb. Restrictive and annoying.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    They need an unlocked toggle for ALL SPECIAL LOTS, so that it could be any type of lot.
  • Options
    @CelSims thats the problem I have with the lot, especially when it comes to a club gathering, I haven’t even tried the mountain trip yet but I would imagine if there’s too many sims to control you’d loose half of them to the Onsen.

I have sadly had to replace a rental (which I really didn’t want to do) and put a cafe in its place so my sims would actually do the club tasks I set out.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited November 2020
    A better solution for a group meeting point instead of the onsen lot would have been for them to have made a small 8x8 empty lot on the mountain (maybe with just a sign in the middle of it or something) as the designated meeting place for group hikes/climbs, and locked that tiny little useless lot instead, rather than locking a perfectly good build spot - especially since we have so few of them to choose from on the mountain. That would have freed up all the mountain lots to let us do with them as we please.

The most frustrating aspect of the Sims 4 is how many restrictions they've put in this game by way of removing so many of the customization options we had in previous versions of the game. Less options to customize our sims, less options to customize lots/builds/items, zero options to customize worlds/neighbourhoods.

EA/Maxis could save themselves a ton of headaches if they would just simply give Sims 4 players the freedom to fully customize the game, like we've always done. Full customization of the Sims games is quite literally the bread and butter of this particular gaming franchise and what draws people to want to play this game in the first place. It always has been. Chip away at those customization capabilities, and you lose your main player base.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Personally I would have preferred to have the onsen in other neighborhoods with changeable weather. In the current world no one uses it during a blizzard and they tend to happen. I am going to redesign the onsen into a more western looking hot springs bath house and put the hot springs in the basement so they can be enjoyed regardless of weather conditions. Maybe you could do something similar and hide the hot springs in the basement and add a bar and TV and whatever else you think you need for your hangout in accessible floors.
    Are you allowed to change ( add things to the Onsen ) without a cheat?