Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My sims cannot go down stairs **RESOLVED**

Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
My pets can go up and down, but not my sims. I turned off my mods and still have the issue. It is a three-story house, they can go from the third to the second, but not the second to the ground floor. I have removed everything around the stairs and walls, but no luck.
Post edited by Celticgamer0 on

Comments

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Try pulling the staircase forward a bit and see if you actually have fencing spanning the top of the stairs. I ran into this issue and when I moved the stairs it revealed the fence I had around the open area at the top actually spanned across the top of the stairs but was invisible until I moved the stairs. Once I was able to see it I sledgehammered out the part where the stairs go and it fixed it.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I forgot about a possible fence... I'll try that!

*EDIT* That was it! Weird how it didn't stop my pets though! Thank you so much!
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    You’re welcome! I can’t explain the pets because I rarely play with them, but I am reasonably certain this is the routing failure that people are having with stairs both going up and going down.
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Pets aren't as tall as Sims, so they can go under things that Sims can't.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    It's a bug that came with the update first week of November: It makes stairs not surrounded by floor on the upper half unroutable by Sims. It should be fixed by last weeks patch I think, and if not do clever room design on top to allow it to work.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 440 Member
    It's a bug that came with the update first week of November: It makes stairs not surrounded by floor on the upper half unroutable by Sims. It should be fixed by last weeks patch I think, and if not do clever room design on top to allow it to work.

It's not fixed for me. :(
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

It's not fixed for me. :(

What I did (I have a gym that suffered from it) was basically creative rooming.

1. Pull the room the stairs attach to upstairs up around the stairs,
    2. then draw a rectangle of fence around the hole, so it becomes it's own room.
    3. Then pull the rest of the floor back to where it was
    4. Delete the fences and stuff so it looks just like from before but now have an invisible "room" around it.

Hard to explain, but i got it figured out in about 10 minutes.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi

After patching the patch now I have a stairs issue where sims cannot use the stairs and as I am a terrible builder I have no clue what move stairs and put fences in can possibly mean as I will probably break the lot completely trying. I thought Eco living destroyed my game and now as a total lover of snowy escape that's ruined my game again. I don't think I have it in me to go into every lot in every world either replacing all lots with bungalows or fiddling with the stairs. I am so upset and disappointed right now as I keep buying packs that don't work or break stuff every-time.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    Hi

After patching the patch now I have a stairs issue where sims cannot use the stairs and as I am a terrible builder I have no clue what move stairs and put fences in can possibly mean as I will probably break the lot completely trying. I thought Eco living destroyed my game and now as a total lover of snowy escape that's ruined my game again. I don't think I have it in me to go into every lot in every world either replacing all lots with bungalows or fiddling with the stairs. I am so upset and disappointed right now as I keep buying packs that don't work or break stuff every-time.

If you go into build/buy mode and click on the stairs you will get several options. One of which is a plus sign (+) with arrows on each end. Click that and you will be able to move the stairs. As far as the fence issue; if you, again, go into build/buy click on the wall option to your left and then to the top of the stairs. Shift-click and drag the wall tool across the top of the stairs as if you are enclosing the staircase, then release and it should delete any invisible walls or fences.

I hope that's easy to understand and good luck! :smile:
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @Celticgamer0

Thanks for the extra instructions that is most helpful :) Looking at my post I sound like an old grump but I think I am just reaching the end of my tether with how many hoops I have to continually jump before i can play this game anymore.