Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I've lost yet another save....

I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but ever since the 9/3 patch, I've lost 4 saves now. Last night and today I tried to play a household in a save I don't use much, and it keeps crashing to desktop (the other saves are ok). I tried repairing the game last night, and it didn't work.

This is the kind of behavior I'd expect from an old computer with a failing hard drive, but my comp is only a year old. I only have one mod (for woohoo). When my other saves crashed, I removed the mod entirely, and it made no difference.

What is going on here?

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I have found it best to start a brand new save after a patch. EL just about destroyed my ongoing game. Had to restart. Beyond that, I had a major problem just in transferring my game save to my laptop to carry on. Gaming rig had to go into the shop, it now has a brand new harddrive and Windows 10. In restarting the dead game save, I recreated my Cantrell family. I didn't see that I had the original Erik Cantrell that I created from my Sims3 version back in 2014 to be my Founder. It was saved under Showcase. Had I scrolled all the way down, I would have found him.

Once the latest patch hit, I learned from the mess I had previously, and just started anew. This time I used my original Erik. I'm much happier now, but still I feel your grief. A crashing computer is no fun at all. Losing saves is heart-rending, too. I make a backup prior to patching. I probably could have grabbed the saves folder from that, but for the fact it was the 'other' Erik. Didn't feel right after a time.

As to what's going on, I'm going to suggest in my less than knowledgeable self on tech stuff, is that the old saves get corrupted during the patching process. At least that's been my experience.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,124 Member
    I hope it doesn't come to that. In that save, I had aging turned on, and if I start with a new save, I'll lose the age progression
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @Nate_Whiplash1
    You probably know this already but just in case it helps... there are backups within a single save that you can revert back to. Have you tried that?
    I forget what the option says exactly but when you select a save you can revert it back to 5 save points before the final save.

I got a 124 error recently I need to report, but no crashes thankfully.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited September 2020
    Does it only crash when you are loading that household? Are they on vacation or are they studying at the university? If they are, try removing them from it, from what I heard the latest patches can cause crashes if your sims are on vacation, and I know the university degrees can get bugged as well...

If it's not that, then your sims maybe have corrupt relationships, that can cause the game to crash as well. You can try saving your household to the gallery, remove them and then place them back in your save.
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »
    @Nate_Whiplash1
    You probably know this already but just in case it helps... there are backups within a single save that you can revert back to. Have you tried that?
    I forget what the option says exactly but when you select a save you can revert it back to 5 save points before the final save.

I got a 124 error recently I need to report, but no crashes thankfully.

I had no idea that I could roll a save back, or that there are backups, thanks for the info
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    Does it only crash when you are loading that household? Are they on vacation or are they studying at the university? If they are, try removing them from it, from what I heard the latest patches can cause crashes if your sims are on vacation, and I know the university degrees can get bugged as well...

If it's not that, then your sims maybe have corrupt relationships, that can cause the game to crash as well. You can try saving your household to the gallery, remove them and then place them back in your save.

Not sure...I only have a handful of households in that save, I'll try another one. They are at home when the save crashes. I may have to move them to the gallery and then add them back. Maybe the lot itself is corrupted?
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited September 2020
    lots can get corrupted, that has only happened to me with community lots though, and that have not caused crashes for me, I only got error messages when that happened.

You can test that by visiting the lot with another sim on that save.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Sometimes moving the sims in neighbourhood view to another lot can fix it if it's the lot that's corrupt.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I thought I would post an update on this. It's definitely the entire save...I played several different households with the same result. I really only played that save for one couple, so I was able to upload them to the gallery, and I'll have to start with a new save.

One odd thing--it will not save that couple to my library. It says they've been uploaded to it, but they don't show up. That's ok, though--as long as I have them in gallery, I'm good. Thanks for everyone's help, I appreciate it
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Hmm, I've been playing the same save since 2015. Have you tried repairing your game?
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Rouensims wrote: »
    Hmm, I've been playing the same save since 2015. Have you tried repairing your game?

I did, but to no avail. It's ok, though--it's really only one household that I care about, so I can start a new save with them