Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I Make the Lepacy More Enjoyable?

I started a lepacy save (starting with the base game only and gradually adding more packs), but I'm finding to be more stressful than fun. My founder's LTW is The Tinkerer and he's currently about to become an adult and at level 6 of each skill. However, he is also in the doctor career and spends a lot of time at work, and he has to take care of his two daughters too. Also, I wanted this to be a patriarchy, but he and his wife have two daughters and no sons. This means that the heir will take a different last name, and I'm not sure if the challenge allows that. His wife also goes to work early in the morning (business), leaving her tired when she gets home. Should I do something to improve the save or just delete it? If I improve it, what should I do?

Comments

• Options
    SteffstarSteffstar Posts: 1,354 Member
    How much of a storyline are you playing? Like, do you have a plot or do you just go with the flow? If you're doing a plot, I'd say adopt a boy and play with the whole jealousy angle where the girls realize they won't inherit the legacy.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @Steffstar Interesting idea. I do a lot of storytelling, so that could work. However, I usually like to see the genetics throughout the generations.
  • Options
    SteffstarSteffstar Posts: 1,354 Member
    Well, I'm huge on stories with twists. I'd use a mod cheat to create a baby with the father's genetics. Storyline: The adopted baby was produced by IVF, and the single mother either couldn't raise the baby or passed away. The Legacy father had donated DNA in a clinic (not sure if I can use the actual word, but you get the idea) in his youth and that was used. So, the adopted baby is genetically part of the family.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Why are both working? Let one work and the other work from home and take care of the children.

The bad part about choosing the Matriarch/Patriarch handicaps is that it might not work out. Let them have more kids or drop the handicap. If it's becoming stressful you might drop the save so make it fun and don't work yourself so hard. :)

• Options
    @Rflong7 Perhpas I'll have the founder quit his job since his LTW doesn't require a career. Then, he can focus more on raising the kids. I may eliminate the gender handicap; it's just that I would want a female heir to take her husband's last name and Idk if that's allowed for legacies. I guess it could be like in the old days where, if a family had no sons, the oldest daughter's husband inherited the property.
  • Options
    KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    edited March 2020
    Do you have Nraas story progression mod? If you have that you can simply go into SP and make it so when a couple get’s married they take the wife’s name. I usually do that when I playing any sort of legacy and I want to keep the last name consistent. Also If you don’t have SP it’s a free mod and greatly enhances the game. Also my computer is far from “high end” and I haven’t had too much lag or other performance issues from using Story Progression and several other mods and CC.
  • Options
    carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    I'd also make sure, if you get the mod, that you make same-sex marriages (in addition to opposite-sex marriages, of course) not hyphenated. You can have it flip a coin or take the older or younger's surname for each same-sex marriage.
  • Options
    KNORear wrote: »
    Do you have Nraas story progression mod? If you have that you can simply go into SP and make it so when a couple get’s married they take the wife’s name. I usually do that when I playing any sort of legacy and I want to keep the last name consistent. Also If you don’t have SP it’s a free mod and greatly enhances the game. Also my computer is far from “high end” and I haven’t had too much lag or other performance issues from using Story Progression and several other mods and CC.
    I'd also make sure, if you get the mod, that you make same-sex marriages (in addition to opposite-sex marriages, of course) not hyphenated. You can have it flip a coin or take the older or younger's surname for each same-sex marriage.

I do have story progression, but I currently have it set to take the husband’s name. I personally hate the hyphenation, so I disable it at the start of each new game.
  • Options
    EvaKoukEvaKouk Posts: 340 Member
    I've been playing on and off with the same legacy since 2016 (yes, you read that right) so it's hard to remember how it was at the very start but I'm pretty sure it must have been very stressful, cause it's even stressful now sometimes when I try to have a perfect life for all of my sims! I'd say a way to make it more enjoyable is firstly to always have a balance between working and staying at home sims, both for taking care of the kids and for raising skills, keeping the house clean if you don't have maids etc. and then maybe spice things up by going on vacation, silly ventures out in the city (e.g. a different community lot every time you have free time), meeting and meddling with your neighbor's lives and generally not worrying too much about how well you're doing at the challenge but rather bond with the sims you're playing with and make them have a blast! Ten generations really go by faster than you realise, especially if you play often enough! Happy simming! B)
    Hey! Don't be a stranger!

My Page - My Studio - My Massive Thank You Thread

All the love as always! x
  • Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    I’m my experience, if you have a player controlled female initiate a wedding, the spouse changes names. For example, in my save I have Emily Jones as my founder. I had her selected and had her initiate the wedding. Christopher Steel then became Christopher Jones when they married.
  • Options
    carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    I’m my experience, if you have a player controlled female initiate a wedding, the spouse changes names. For example, in my save I have Emily Jones as my founder. I had her selected and had her initiate the wedding. Christopher Steel then became Christopher Jones when they married.

Yes, I believe that's how the game mechanics work for marriages without mods. It's the one who initiates it.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    If you get the wrong last name when your sims marry, they can go to City Hall to change it.
  • Options
    Hello! Sorry to necropst my own thread, but I have good news. I found an older version of this save after reinstalling TS3 and decided to play it, and things are going well now! Both my founder and his wife are at level 8 of their careers and Richard (the founder) is now at level 8 of each of the skills required for his LTW. In this version of the save, they tried for a baby again and had twins (a boy and a girl) right before Richard aged up to an adult! Things still get stressful after playing for about an hour, but I feel better after taking a break. The male twin, Tyler, is the heir to the challenge and will take on World Adventures! His current traits are insane, loves the outdoors, and athletic.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    That's great you're LEPacy save is back in action. :) It's honestly my fav challenge to play... still need to get back to my own LEPacy. I left off on generation 9.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I started a lepacy save (starting with the base game only and gradually adding more packs), but I'm finding to be more stressful than fun. My founder's LTW is The Tinkerer and he's currently about to become an adult and at level 6 of each skill. However, he is also in the doctor career and spends a lot of time at work, and he has to take care of his two daughters too. Also, I wanted this to be a patriarchy, but he and his wife have two daughters and no sons. This means that the heir will take a different last name, and I'm not sure if the challenge allows that. His wife also goes to work early in the morning (business), leaving her tired when she gets home. Should I do something to improve the save or just delete it? If I improve it, what should I do?

What I do, and this may or may not help you much, is I turn off Aging unless there are children. Then once the children reach Young Adult I turn it off.

Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @Faerie197 I solved the problem already, but thanks anyways!