Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University Too Long?

Anybody else think it takes too long to finish university? I know I might have shot myself in the foot but I had my Sim do 4 terms for this next semester. Weird question but is there a cheat to finish university? probably not but thought I'd ask or see if I'm not alone. lol
sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Taking the max load:
    TS2 University: 8 semesters @ 74 hours/semester = 24 days and 16 hours (3.5 weeks)
    TS3 University Life: 48 credits @ 18 credits/week = 3 weeks (minimum) (can be shortened to two weeks through aptitude testing)
    TS4 Discover University: 12 classes @ 4 classes/week = 3 weeks

Looks about right to me, based on previous university packs.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Yes I reduce it to just 6 credits with a mod.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2020
    There's a really good mod for this - even if I can't currently remember what it's called but I can look it up if you want - that lets you reduce it easily. I've brought it down to 9 but might go for 6 like @jimbbq, especially in households with multiple students, because having 3 sims do their degree with 3 courses per week is actually pretty annoying at this rate xD

But overall yes I agree it's long. Perhaps also because of the way sims 4 worlds work - you can't really not play your uni sims or they will fail and be put on probation. Guess that's the one major benefit of having uni in a totally separate world (even though I didn't much like it and barely any of my sims 3 have degrees for that very reason.)
  • Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    Sketch793 wrote: »
    Taking the max load:
    TS2 University: 8 semesters @ 74 hours/semester = 24 days and 16 hours (3.5 weeks)
    TS3 University Life: 48 credits @ 18 credits/week = 3 weeks (minimum) (can be shortened to two weeks through aptitude testing)

However, there is one small detail: in previous chapters, a sim's lifetime was frozen while being in university. So these three weeks just passed out really quickly while the sim was studying or having fun. In TS4 you have to spend all of your "young adults" age for graduating university. Since "young adultness" is something like 18-35 years old in The Sims 4, I think it's a bit unrealistically.
    On the other side, in TS4 a sim can work or start a family while studying at university.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    There's the 'university more/less credits' mod. I'm using it to reduce a degree to 8 credits but i'll start using it to only 6. I love the pack but it's actually too much. The mod has a ton of flavours: you can use it to complete degrees from 4 to 20 credits.
  • Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    I use potion of yoingh. It cost 1500 satiscaftion points. So my sims have more times for young adult. And if you have sims born in game with toddler, schikd and scout traits and with skill research and debate so study is not too heavy
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I play on long life, so I actually find it a little on the short side. That said, what you may want to try if you don't want to use a mod is to switch to long life (or aging off as apparently it was in previous games) while your sim is at University.

If you switch to long life while at uni, and then back to normal when they graduate, the amount of aging from while at Uni is proportional. (It's early, don't ask me to do the math on specifics.) Of course, this won't work as well if you have multiple sims/sim families going to Uni in overlapping but staggered times.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I haven't tried mods yet, but I make my uni sims live in a different lot, and when I play them I turn off aging completely.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    From what I've heard most people who play on a normal or (modded) custom lifespan that is comparable, turn aging off while their Sim is at uni. Or leave it on for a single week, then turn it off for the rest of uni.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    It does feel like it takes forever but I dont think it's any longer than any other sims game. But I dont like that it seems to take an entire life span to complete so I just turn aging off when I have a sim at university.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Carl's site has all the University cheats, and yes, you can force an early graduation.

Also, subsequent degrees after your first take 8 credits, rather than 12.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I play on long life, so I actually find it a little on the short side. That said, what you may want to try if you don't want to use a mod is to switch to long life (or aging off as apparently it was in previous games) while your sim is at University.

If you switch to long life while at uni, and then back to normal when they graduate, the amount of aging from while at Uni is proportional. (It's early, don't ask me to do the math on specifics.) Of course, this won't work as well if you have multiple sims/sim families going to Uni in overlapping but staggered times.

I do that too, together with a mod to reduce credits. I play in short lifespan and change it to long during uni. 2 weeks in long (14 days) are aprox 2 days in short. Long lifespan is 8 times bigger than short so 8 days in long equals 1 day in short.
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I like the length, and wouldn't mind if it was even longer. Some of my sims actually take one class at a time, because I want to play a struggling college student living in a tiny home and working a part-time job (often single parents with a kid or two), and studying at night. It adds a bit of realism to my game. I just turn aging off when I play those types of homes. My seasons are set to 4 weeks, so it seems weird they have a full-blown degree within one season.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    ramon475ramon475 Posts: 6 New Member
    Yeah I think 3 semesters is too long, it takes up too much time of your sims lives... 2 semesters would be better
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm... I would just turn of aging when you feel like it is enough. We do spend some years in college, just stop the clock when it feels like your sim has marinated long enough.
  • Options
    LibertyTheFreeLibertyTheFree Posts: 234 Member
    My feeling is that whether it's "too long" depends on how I played it. If my sim came after the diploma then, yeah, I probably won't be so patient to wait 3 weeks 24 sim hours a day :lol:

On the other hand, it's good to have a sim or two taking it one day at time in universities, have some fun around the campuses and activities, struggling with bicycles etc. College is still a year or two from me IRL so I had some fun doing all that :smile:
    AxxYIX4.png
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I think the length of time is fine. It just seems long because the game play is so incredibly monotonous.
  • Options
    yellowduckyyellowducky Posts: 12 New Member
    I dont mind , You can go and dress them up every day so it doesnt seem like a waste of time.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    It's long but I generally like it. Since the focus is on skill building and individualizing the sim, I'm ok with the length. In some cases, some sims might decide not to finish or to take a break but graduating does feel like an achievement.

I play with 4 semesters for most sims. In a lot of cases now, they will go in groups and not all of them will get straight As. That's more realistic anyway. I'll only send individual sims if I'm really interested in them. Right now, I'm playing these Goth third cousins who are going through university. They interest me and I'm just playing the two of them. I try to avoid it being repetitive by doing something a little bit different each time.

I'd like settings for easier rotational play between terms but generally, I'm fine. Yes, I know the work around, I just wish it were more straightforward to rotate.

I'll add that I play university with aging off or nearly entirely off. I want my university sims to be more developed intellectually and to still have time while young. I really like how the sims differentiate if they've gone to university or not. The ones who have are more skilled and focused. I also play with some households that willfully rejected university and it's interesting to have that dynamic.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    Uni was fun in the beginning but now i just use mc command to graduate and that's it
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SenkoSenko Posts: 9 New Member
    I feel its both too short and too long. It's too short if your trying for a proper uni experience because between taking care of your sim, getting good grades and cleaning up after your idiot roommates you never really have time to explore clubs or other activites around the uni especially since classes generally fall in a 2 close together scheduling that means by the time your done your funs bottomed out and you've missed part of a class hurting your grade if your not in your dorm/house when it comes due. I feel its too long because partly to do with the above issue the gameplay is extremely monotous and you don't really have any room to vary it but exploring other things (different parts of the uni, different skills like painting, clubs or even just popping down to the pub for event night X). So an individual semester zooms by while the whole experience just feels like it drags on especially if you have long lifespan/aging off and/or like my current sim are trying for multiple degree's. One more at Brightchester then pretty much ALL the foxbury distinguished ones (I feel I made a mistake in trying for a Doctor Doom super genius with vast knowledge in science and magic but I've come too far to turn back now).
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Brinn wrote: »
    Sketch793 wrote: »
    Taking the max load:

However, there is one small detail: in previous chapters, a sim's lifetime was frozen while being in university. So these three weeks just passed out really quickly while the sim was studying or having fun. In TS4 you have to spend all of your "young adults" age for graduating university. Since "young adultness" is something like 18-35 years old in The Sims 4, I think it's a bit unrealistically.
    On the other side, in TS4 a sim can work or start a family while studying at university.

True, but you can easily turn aging off, which has exactly the same effect.