Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting Started on YouTube

I have been thinking for some time of starting my own YouTube channel to discuss sim related matters. I would appreciate some help in finding a suitable capture/edit app to use. I need to be able to insert slides into the video and obviously want to capture sound, both in real time and dubbed on afterwards.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I don't mind paying for the app but as I am a novice I do not want a really expensive outlay at this time.

Many thanks.

Betty
I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita

Comments

• Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @Bettyboop55 I recommend OBS for screen capture and game recording, and Davinci Resolve for editing. Both are free, but work much better than apps I actually purchased.

Davinci Resolve is an intense editor with some awesome features but as of version 16 there is a cut page, which is very simple if you don’t have editing experience. Davinci Resolve has a paid version for professionals that has a few extra features that you’ll probably never need unless you’re a professional filmmaker. 😊

Look forward to seeing another Sims 3 channel on YouTube!
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @ZeeGee thank you so much. I had heard of OBS but not Davinci. It looks as though the free version will suit me nicely :)

I am thinking more of the future of the franchise for my channel rather than TS3 alone. Besides I do not have the skill to produce the lovely videos you make <3
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    EllaJMcGavinEllaJMcGavin Posts: 2 New Member
    I, myself, have been thinking about doing Youtube. I posted my first video using CamStudio - I am not sure how you will feel about it, but its free and I have had luck with it depending varying on what computers I use.
  • Options
    @EllaJMcGavin thank you for suggesting Camstudio. I will certainly consider it along with OBS as my Windows laptop can accept both. Good Luck with getting your channel up and running :)

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    am thinking more of the future of the franchise for my channel rather than TS3 alone. Besides I do not have the skill to produce the lovely videos you make <3

@Bettyboop55 You’re welcome and that sounds interesting too. And thank you. 😊

@EllaJMcGavin Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I use OBS and a paid editor Adobe Premier Elements.
  • Options
    FunnyCidesFunnyCides Posts: 107 Member
    I used OBS when I was doing recording for game window capture and Shotcut for editing which is a free editing software. When I start up recording again I may try Davinci Resolve because I've heard good things about it from several different people.

Paint.net is a good, simple, and free image editing program. You may need to download a plug-in or two to get a couple of options that you want but it's very stable. I used it for making thumbnails.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    For anyone who wants to learn Davinci Resolve, there is a free crash course on this site. There are a lot of tutorials out there but this guy is a really good teacher and keeps it simple. I actually bought a package of his advanced courses in the Black Friday sale and they’re excellent.

https://filmsimplified.com/

His YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/LearnColorGrading

This guy is good too (for more advanced learning) and he makes me laugh. https://www.youtube.com/user/CaseyFaris777
  • Options
    Thank you everyone :) I shall definitely follow up on the tutorials but first I need to sit and work out what I want to do and a schedule for doing it. As much as I enjoy working in CAW (although not the frustrations of using it) I need to find a new challenge now that lockdown restrictions are easing and hubby will be working in the office rather than my study :D

PS I have heard good things about paint net.

PSS there is no argument about the study it's just he starts working at 6.30 am which is the middle of the night for me :)

Sim enim est vita