Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Okay if you couldn't make Island Living as open as Island Paradise then why bother?

sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
So I bought Island Living a while ago but finally decided to play it properly and explore all the features it had to offer. To be quite honest and blunt; I am severely disappointed.

Usually when there is a sequel of a game or movie or anything - you expect it to be better or atleast as good as what came before it. In this case, Island Living missed the mark completely and it really sucks. Just in case this comes up in argument yes I am comparing both of these packs. They are both centered around the theme of living on an Island world and are both expansions in the Sims franchise.

So the similarities of both these packs is what I am actually quite upset about. I'm going to list a few main features which stick out for me and compare them.

The Sims 3 Island Paradise came with these 4 features.
- Houseboats
- Owning and staying at resorts
- Lifeguard profession
- Underwater dive lots

- The Sims 4 version did not include houseboats even though this whole pack is centered on living on an island. I can put this aside though based on the fact we do not have open worlds in TS4.

- Resorts were also not included but I can put it aside as the theme is meant to be about living on an island and not just visiting one. If it were a vacation type EP it would have been much different.

- The lifegaurd career is back but it is a closed off career. Why not have it be a profession that worked when you have a watchtower on the beach? However it could be better and more fleshed out than the one introduced in TS3? Where the lifegaurds may have to battle sharks or other sea life when saving drowning Sims? Maybe being able to use floaties, or jetskis to save sims as well? And try making the profession less repetitive compared to that of TS3. Just working on and expanding on what the game before it gave us. That should be the essence of sequels.

-There are also no underwater lots - you would think in much smaller worlds such as the ones in TS4 why would they not add underwater lots in some capacity? We were given these in TS3 it would only make sense to add them since you added scuba diving?

The only notable feature is the addition of Odd Jobs, but even then it does get a little repetitive.

I just feel after seeing all this what was the point of this expansion? If you guys weren't ready to release an Island EP or knew it would not turn out as fleshed out as the Sims 3 version then you should not have released it at all and gone with another EP instead. It feels completely claustrophobic compared to that of TS3.

The Sims 4 version completely missed the mark and I am shocked it actually released in this way. I watched the live stream just now and it is clearly obvious how bored these devs were with pack after 2 hours of gameplay. I hope they are not happy how it turned out, I really do, otherwise this franchise is ruined.

Comments

• Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    The problem with this pack is the lack of major features or rather a Strong major feature. Houseboats, Underwater Lots, and Resorts are features that can be developed for depth and the designers for Sims 3 decided to focus on that pack. However in Island Living the Major Features are....

Conversation, Culture, and Extracurricular Island Activities. Conservation? That is great! But now that they did an Eco Pack, Why did they put that feature in that pack to begin with? EP Took years of planning to create and around Island Living release they already know what pack comes after the DU EP. So why add that feature? Also it only affect one world. Culture? Recycled animations from Get Together with different outfits. There are lot of Extra curricular activities such as sunbathing or mermaids but there never seem to be enough or depth.

In my opinion, The EP lack direction from the pack leader. It feels like a bunch of features thrown off in one pack as long as it fits the Island agenda with no meaning behind it. I mean Get Together only come with One Major Feature (Clubs) but that whole EP provided content for that one feature to be more enjoyable and have depth. However in Island Living, What major feature did they focus on that and add Depth into it?

The Pack Lacks Direction. Just Like City Living did. This is why I tend to dislike the "Living" Packs with TS4. The World is the Spotlight and they seem to build features based on THAT world rather than something that would expand the game. That is not how Expansion packs are made. If Maxis want to do that, then add a new pack type and name it as World Packs and put a $20 or $30 price tag on it.
  • Options
    saucelicioussaucelicious Posts: 18 Member
    As TS1299 said, the expansion packs for Sims 4 leaves a lot to be desired, i'm still waiting for the lock features from Sims 3, you know the feature where you pasted your sim's look to all outfits, it's a major pain in the butt to do them for all outfits.
  • Options
    saucelicioussaucelicious Posts: 18 Member
    "Open" is a forgotten word now at Linear Arts.
  • Options
    TS1299 wrote: »
    The problem with this pack is the lack of major features or rather a Strong major feature. Houseboats, Underwater Lots, and Resorts are features that can be developed for depth and the designers for Sims 3 decided to focus on that pack. However in Island Living the Major Features are....

Conversation, Culture, and Extracurricular Island Activities. Conservation? That is great! But now that they did an Eco Pack, Why did they put that feature in that pack to begin with? EP Took years of planning to create and around Island Living release they already know what pack comes after the DU EP. So why add that feature? Also it only affect one world. Culture? Recycled animations from Get Together with different outfits. There are lot of Extra curricular activities such as sunbathing or mermaids but there never seem to be enough or depth.

In my opinion, The EP lack direction from the pack leader. It feels like a bunch of features thrown off in one pack as long as it fits the Island agenda with no meaning behind it. I mean Get Together only come with One Major Feature (Clubs) but that whole EP provided content for that one feature to be more enjoyable and have depth. However in Island Living, What major feature did they focus on that and add Depth into it?

The Pack Lacks Direction. Just Like City Living did. This is why I tend to dislike the "Living" Packs with TS4. The World is the Spotlight and they seem to build features based on THAT world rather than something that would expand the game. That is not how Expansion packs are made. If Maxis want to do that, then add a new pack type and name it as World Packs and put a $20 or $30 price tag on it.

I actually like the way you put this. So they focused on different elements for island life but these elements were not expanded upon at all. The culture one would have been so good, but I barely see any of this.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    To be honest, it has to be said TS3 Isla Paradiso was an unplayable world, so it deserves no glorification.
  • Options
    Annie2008Annie2008 Posts: 108 Member
    TS3 Isla Paradiso played very well for me, fortunately. Maybe I'll reinstall Sims 3. I really miss it.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I feel they should have released ts4 first and then ts3. A lot of complaints would go away. :)
  • Options
    To be honest, it has to be said TS3 Isla Paradiso was an unplayable world, so it deserves no glorification.

The world was very laggy I don't deny it, but I'm speaking about the features of the pack not really the way it ran on computers.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Missing

Hammocks
    Resorts
    Windsurfing
    Boats that let more then 1 sim use them
    Scuba Diving

Hopefully if we get the Brazil or Greek Islands from the survey they can add this stuff. Island Living is still one of my favorite packs though and I love the beautiful world.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I feel they should have released ts4 first and then ts3. A lot of complaints would go away. :)

Second this actually...TS4 weather you love it or hate it, you gotta admit it IS a step backward.
  • Options
    JoradsonJoradson Posts: 9 New Member
    > @catloverplayer said:
    > Missing
    >
    > Hammocks
    > Resorts
    > Windsurfing
    > Boats that let more then 1 sim use them
    > Scuba Diving
    >
    > Hopefully if we get the Brazil or Greek Islands from the survey they can add this stuff. Island Living is still one of my favorite packs though and I love the beautiful world.

Please I need lazy hammocks in my life. Resorts not so much, but hammocks, windsurfing and boats? Hell yes!
    Also Isn't there already scuba diving options? if you go to boeys in deep waters in Sulani, or am I understanding it wrong?
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    sam123 wrote: »

The world was very laggy I don't deny it, but I'm speaking about the features of the pack not really the way it ran on computers.

Yeah, and the cause of the lag could be fixed.
    EA just didn't bother to fix it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    GlitteringSkittlesGlitteringSkittles Posts: 38 Member
    It is disappointing, but I try and find the good in the pack and managed to find myself entertained for a bit. But I will admit I haven't played that world in a while.
  • Options
    GlitteringSkittlesGlitteringSkittles Posts: 38 Member
    Also, I think what the OP is saying, while TS3 was a buggy mess for some people with their computers. TS3 still offered more content than TS4 :).
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    The Sims 4 Island Living is one of the worst, if not the worst pack they've release imo.
    There is almost no gameplay at all, just lounging on the beach and swimming. Nothing groundbreaking to change the way you play your game. The Conversation career is boring. The only part of the pack I use is tanning and the inflatable toys for the pool. Everything else is as shallow as the toddler pool from Seasons :D
    If it had come with hotels I would think a lot more highly of it. I honestly wish it was a vacation world.
    I loved Island Paradise from the Sims 3, even though it's very buggy.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I admit I would have really liked an underwater lot in Island Living. Without ever playing TS3 Island Paradise I can't compare to that, but I just strongly feel like there should be an underwater lot.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Don't you know they need to capitalize on previous successful packs from past games? That's how the Sims 4 works. It's all a throwback
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    @sam123 wrote: »
    TS1299 wrote: »

I actually like the way you put this. So they focused on different elements for island life but these elements were not expanded upon at all. The culture one would have been so good, but I barely see any of this.

Have you played Jungle Adventure? Jungle Adventure has culture in it yet even if it was a small change compared to Island Living's Culture, it is MILES better than what we had in an expansion pack. The Culture in Selvadorada featured a market place well they sell items that are unique to them and the villagers use in their jungle life. They have a Cultural dance that you can only learn if you went to them and have enough knowledge skill about their culture(Selvadorada Culture Skill). Lastly they give you tips about the gameplay, about the things you will enocunter in the world of selvadorada and even some history. Heck this Culture even have a new Greeting Animation. All of that in a Game Pack

Meanhile in an Expansion Pack one of the Major Feature is the Culture. It is even in the Pack's Description adn one of the Main Selling Point

"Engage in Local Culture. Tradition runs deep on Sulani, and your Sims get to experience everything it has to offer. Immerse Sims in their newfound lifestyle by attending a pit barbecue event, learning about local folklore, tasting tropical delicacies and chatting with ancestors from the island. "

The Culture in that Pack Never even have a Name. A Major Feature in the pack that is Culture did not even have an official in game name in an Expansion Pack. There are the Visual Effects (Build Mode Items, CAS Items, and Foods) but what does it have to be one of the Major Features of an Expansion Packs. This items has no effect on gameplay at all. I mean in Jungle Adventure, The knowledge you will learn from the locals can be useful on your gameplay along with the items but in this pack Nope. Local Folklore? Does learning the Local Folklore can make me learn about some hints of the secret areas that I can discover in the Pack? Nope. Because apparently there are no secret areas aside from the rabbithole in the Island. So a Social Interaction with a recycled animation and a new "name" on the menu is now a major expansion feature? Traditions Runs deep yet I cannot fell it.

With the new animations for the culture in Jungle Adventure even if there only like 2-4 animations feels already that you are in a different place. I mean did the culture in the Island Living even came with a new Animation? The last part of the description frustrates me. The part "chatting with ancestors from the island" . Talking to Elders that has been part on the Base Game since the launch with no notification or even pop ups that affects your gameplay or journey around the Island. If talking to Elders resulted in a pop up saying that

The local culture is now dying in this world due to modernization. We need to have a way to have people engage in local culture. I have an idea how about trying to build a resort in our island? As an elder, it is a pain to manage one, and we would like people like you to build one

Then Sure have it as a major feature because it has a major gameplay Unlock. But nope. Its the normal ask about a day interaction. Lastly the Festivals in this pack. Even if I dislike the recycled base game items in the festivals in City Living, atleast they are lively, they have competition, they have prizes and collectibles to unlock giving you reason to go there along with skill bonuses and more. But in this expansion pack where do I begin. Family day is just like a lunge Chair on the Beach with a Swing set and non functional decor. Music festival is nothing but Stereos in the Modern World. I mean They have an Island Culture, Why did Maxis did not include traditional Musical Equipment for this festival? This is an expansion pack they can do that. After going to this two festivals I lost interest it. There is no point of doing it. You can just dance in the base game with stereos in a party and you don't have to pay for an expansion for it. In this pack, they just have that but instead sims wear a traditional outfits and call it "Culture"

I am very sorry if this post is so long. It's just disappointing and frustrating to see what could have been a major feature was a shallow one because they just add as many feature as they can rather than depth. If the game packs add one feature and add depth on that feature, then Expansion packs should add Multiple features then add depth in each one of them or one big expansion worthy feature but has so much depth in it.

This is my personal opinion but I find it when SimGuruNinja is a lead producer in a pack development, the pack comes outs to focus on one feature and have depth in the feature. Dine Out, Vampires, Parenthood, Jungle Adventure, Realm of Magic, Get Together and Get Famous has this approach and if you liked the theme, chances are you can enjoy this packs because of the depth that they adds. One may argue that Realm of Magic while having depth is not enough, it is more because of the RoM is an Game Pack rather than an Expansion Pack. This is why I think Game Packs have been straight Solid. I know that Pack development is a Team Effort but in the end it is the producers who decide what features will be in and out, developed or not, and not the concept artist, designers, and animators.

Expansion Packs have been Hit or miss. While Eco Lifestyle is great I find it similar to Island Living. Not enough depth. They should have focused the gampelay on the Eco Meter, rather than having the team to create naps that would change the looks of Evergreen Harbor. Modernization changes the style of the world I agree its great. but what if the budget for having architectural changes and designs in Evergreen Harbor that affects nothing but visual was used to add layers of garbage for industrial and more perhaps plants for older worlds? And this changes affects gameplay to with sims starts receiving an actual illness or something that changes your gameplay? Seasons added gradual snow, puddles, and terrain paints to all worlds, thus they have to go back and add and support all the neighborhoods in the game, in exchange of the new world. So why in Eco Lifestyle instead of doing the same, they have a new world but everything is locked in, and they added once again a bunch of feature resulting to some questionable design choices, leaving the Eco Meter feel more like an after thought?

I wish they just applied the approach that was used in Get Together or Get Famous. Things would have been so much better. All of the team in the studio are great, but I just personally think that this approach is what they should do in their expansion packs if they cannot add depth to a bunch of major features in an EP.