Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you recommend?

Im missing 5 packs atm: Tiny Living, Discover University, Realm of Magic, Moschino and Strangerville.
Im willing to get a few more. I may make a bundle or buy one or two but im still deciding which one(s).
Just to contextualize, im a legacy player, so family play is essential to me, and i also like occults and crazyness. What do you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    going by you like occults then the only one there i would suggest is Realm of Magic , but even that has a pretty short shelf life , Once you have got a sim to the top of the skill there's not a lot to keep it interesting or make you want to do it over and over
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited April 2020
    I completely agree with @julienrob2004 about the short shelf life with ROM. I don't get the same enjoyment from the TS4 Spellcasters as I did from their TS3 counterparts. If you do decide on this pack, just keep in mind that hybrids are very glitchy and have a ton of issues. I use the MCCC mod and have it set up to where occults can't have children with different occult types to avoid a ton of issues.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    thanks for your imput @julienrob2004 and @LaBlue0314 . How are your feelings about Strangerville? This one's story i guess has a shelf life even shorter... but what about after the story?

@LaBlue0314 i like very much the witches in sims 3. What i like more is to play a low profile witch. All the duel things that i've read about RoM doesn't captivate me... is it possible to play a low profile witch on RoM? And how does the bloodlines work? I guess making it even easier... :(
  • Options
    The only places the Spellcasters will have their duels at is in the magical realm. If your sim sees them in any of the other towns, they won't be acting any differently than the other nonmagical sims. Compaired to Sims 3, the TS4 spellcasters are much more low key.
  • Options
    Carl Sims goes into more detail about Spellcasters.
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/gamepacks/realmofmagic/spellcasters/
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I completely agree with @julienrob2004 about the short shelf life with ROM. I don't get the same enjoyment from the TS4 Spellcasters as I did from their TS3 counterparts. If you do decide on this pack, just keep in mind that hybrids are very glitchy and have a ton of issues. I use the MCCC mod and have it set up to where occults can't have children with different occult types to avoid a ton of issues.

What kind of issues? My vampire just has a baby with a spell caster !
  • Options
    I really like Strangerville I wish it was longer ...
  • Options
    Carl Sims goes into more detail about Spellcasters.
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/gamepacks/realmofmagic/spellcasters/

Thank you @LaBlue0314 . By now i have read a lot of guides (carl's included) and reviews in Youtube. I'm on my "final stage" :lol: now i'm looking for some insight from regular players.
  • Options
    jimbbq wrote: »

What kind of issues? My vampire just has a baby with a spell caster !

https://www.modthesims.info/d/640572/motive-sort-override.html
  • Options
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I really like Strangerville I wish it was longer ...

@jimbbq how do you see the pack after the mistery? I think i will like the story cause it seems that it is somehow related to Stranger things :lol: ...but as it is always the same story, i'm more concerned about how do you see it besides the story...?
  • Options
    I was highly sceptical of Strangerville before getting it. The actual story is probably just 1-2 hours if you focus only on the story. I weaved in regular life gameplay, with my kid sim starting the investigation and didn't solve the mystery until he almost turned adult. So I got 4-5 hour gameplay out of it. In fact after I solved the mystery , I started a new family with a sim whose is a tree hugging politician who thinks the “mother” is part of nature that needs to be saved so his goal is to restore the the strangeness of the town, and the cycle continues :)

In fact I feel like I will replay it with a different mix to the story , eg vampire or spellcaster + Strangerville etc.

Yes eventually you will get bored of it but it is true for most packs.

Outside the story, the military career is decent with work from home option. The town is really nice. I do like the listening device I think I can use it in my storytelling gameplay.

It is a very unusual game pack unlike others I am glad I gave it a try. I hope you will like it too.
  • Options
    Ps I don’t even like stranger things after season 1 :)
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    If you like Occults, Realm of Magic is nice without being terribly obtrusive. CAS assets are fairly diverse, and the Edwardian/Art Nouveau BB assets are a little more niche, but charming.

Discover University is another I have and enjoy, but I'll hedge a bit - depending on HOW you do legacy play, it may overwhelm a bit. Degrees take time to earn. On even a medium lifespan, they can eat up a big chunk of the YA stage. I play with aging off, and take things at a leisurely pace. If you are in a hurry to get on with the baby-making, DU may not suit your style.

It us however GREAT for accelerating career. With a distinguished degree, my Foxbury grad entered the Computer Engineering career at rank 8. So time invested in a degree is time saved climbing up the ladder.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Well I enjoy both ROM and Strangerville. I'm still using them, both.
    First ROM...because I like making spellcasters. They are over-powered but I think it's fun to be able to do housework and copy things and make plants spring out of the ground, a bunch of the spells are fun just to use in daily play.. especially if you like to make things easier for your household or make things harder for others.
    As for Strangerville. I mostly never play with the storyline that comes with it. I love the world itself it's.. strange. I like seeing the military there almost like its occupied for whatever reason you might decide to play it that way. I enjoy playing possessed sims also. They have certain benefits like all their needs fill after their possessed state... so basically your sim never has to sleep. I can use it in multiple scenerios and have. I like offering the fruit to other sims too.. lol. Pass on the wealth!
    So just saying if you like craziness you can get it with both packs eventually. Especially if you actively play your sims.

I think as a legacy player you should think about getting University also. I've personally never tried to send multiple sims to college at once though and I understand that can be hard to do, but it adds to normal and somewhat realistic play for that period of life. I like things like servo more in the long run but am still now and then sending someone to Uni. I really like that you can go from home also and that you aren't locked into any particular place until they are done.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Discover university is acceptable with 6 or 8 credit mod. I hope mc command will add a feature for us to change the credit to anything we like soon. I can only play uni for max two sims weeks not more than that !
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    If you like occult and multi-generational family play, I'd definitely make Realm of Magic a priority. Spellcasters are pretty fun, and since you can become one OR be born one, like vampires, but they aren't immortal (like vampires) you can play a whole dynasty of magic users if you want pretty easily. It's pretty flexible too--you can make magic your sim's life, or just dabble, or ignore it completely--and of the game packs specifically that I've played, aside from parenthood obviously, it's probably added the most fun elements for me in terms of playing multiple generations.

University's pretty good, it's a nice addition to family play for me, giving something extra to teens aging up and becoming young adults, BUT it's a little tricky, cause you really have to focus on the sim going to university for them to do well there, and if you move them out/into the dorms, you end up spending weeks and weeks JUST on them while neglecting the rest of the household. I've ended up using mods to shorten the amount of credits needed to graduate, or turning off aging while going to university, or using mods to pretty significantly extend the length of life stages, since otherwise, as sim lives aren't all that long, university ends up eating into a big chunk of that life span, both for the sim in question AND any other sims left behind. It's an okay pack, I like elements of it a lot, but in my experience, it's utterly unplayable without mods.

I'm not a big fan of Strangerville, as there's not much to it besides the linear story line, and as such I haven't managed to integrate it into the rest of my game very well. Besides CAS and build items, I honestly barely use it in most of my games. I played through the mystery once in one save and that was about it, unfortunately.

Aaaand, those are the only packs of the ones you mentioned that I have, so I can't really speak to the other two. Hope that helps at all!
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Moschino is good for taking portraits of family members to put on your walls. That's about all I use it for and I'm happy with my purchase.

I am finishing Strangerville now for the first time. My plan is after solving the mystery I'm going to have the hero's children grow up and open a diner in town and just play the family that way, then have one of the grandchildren get curious about the family hero and go poking around in forbidden places and accidentally start things up again as a teen. Multi-generational family play is my thing, so that's how I hope to keep things interesting after I finish the story once.

I haven't gotten very far into Realm of Magic yet, and don't own the others myself, so that's all I can recommend.
  • Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    I love occults, but I enjoyed Strangerville more than I enjoy Realm of Magic. If you like crazyness, Strangervilles is the craziest of all. I only solved the mystery twice (for different outcomes), but I still play in that world with new saves even with all the crazies twisting about (I don't mind them, but a lot of people do and I completely get how they could be annoying).

I like Discover University a lot, though you'd think there'd be just a bit more family play involved. Sometimes parents randomly show up to visit at the dorm (though my college student never has time to hang out with them lol) and there's the occassional call from the parents to come visit and once you're there you get the "Hang out with family" prompt, but that's all there is to it, I think.

Tiny Living has that relationship boost to offer if you don't need much space for your family.

And Moschino doesn't have too much offer on those fronts, but I love the build items and the photographer career (the jobs are actually interesting and fun to complete) if that's anything you'd be interested in.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your help! Ive just bought a bundle and i went with Discover University, Strangerville and Moschino. Sooner or later i will get the others though. Im just always half to a year late :)