Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roommates

I am loving the roommates-in-normal-houses gameplay, it seems to bring out different personalities. Has anyone else found that?

My two uni sims live in Oasis Springs and are attending uni from there, but they have a spare room so advertised for a roommate. The first one they had was evil and immediately came in having arguments and falling out with my sims. They ditched her and got a guy, who was a right whinger lol. He moaned all the time, never did anything except mope around and refused to shower. He decided that the place was dreadful and left of his own accord.

Now they have another guy who is really friendly and chatty. He's always taking the opportunity to socialize, has friends come round to visit and is happily making friends with my two sims. He showers regularly and does the washing up :)

I am really pleased that they have seemed to be so different from each other, this is what I love to see!

Comments

• Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Now if only they can apply that to all sims, since we know it's possible!

I really should play with that more. I kind of forgot about it and it was one of the reasons I initially wanted the pack... hehe :# I'm glad to see you had such a positive experience with it and it makes me want to make my own household and give it a go.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Yeah, I've been having a lot of fun with roommates. I really love it for the aspect that my couples can sometimes live together too, but I can leave one to their own devices. I've had a lot of rather interesting things happen since I've started using the roommate system.

My rather long roommate experience/story:
    One of my fresh university graduates moved into a small house with 3 pretty tiny bedrooms. I decided I'd give it a shot and place an ad for a roommate or two. He (name is Terence Shepherd) ended up renting a room out to Kathrina Kim-Lewis-Goth (the daughter of exactly who you'd expect). She was super clingy and would follow Terence around much of the day, constantly talking off his ears. But they still hit it off, one thing led to another, and they got together! As mentioned before, I really, really enjoy playing roommate couples. It was great. It helped that after becoming a roommate, she was automatically assigned the same career (tech) as Terence, so I could imagine they worked together.

Unfortunately, risky WooHoo and one fateful night later led to a pregnancy and by Kathrina's second trimester (I play long pregnancies) she moved out for reasons that didn't make sense, so I just ended up adding her to the household. That's when I found out that she already had a boyfriend!
    Deciding to make things interesting, I had her ask her boyfriend to be a roommate (by this point her and Terence were now broken up) and they shared a room.
    Her boyfriend is an awful roommate. He's hot-headed, so he's always leaving nasty notes everywhere and would argue with their other roommate who had come along during Terence and Kathrina's romance (and is since gone). He also always picks fights with Terence; they nearly despise each other. Not to mention, the guy is in and out of the house at all hours of the day/night, is an entertainer, and constantly plays his violin and he does it horribly. But he and Kathrina get it on well, at least, so I leave it all be.

And then...

Terence has the day off, Kathrina's at work, and her boyfriend is at home doing whatever. He has a friend that visits quite frequently (literally says "Roommates Friend") and this said Sim happens to show up. The two are chatting in the living room, the friend appears flirty, but I'm not paying much attention to it all. Until the two start walking toward the bedroom together and end up WooHooing! I couldn't believe it. My first thought was, can anyone not cheat on each other in this house? Followed by the fact that it must be a game of domino-karma.

This was a thing that went on for a bit, Kathrina eventually found out, and was angry and upset, but didn't break things off. Time passed, relations were mended, and she actually got close with her boyfriend's... boyfriend? Her and Terence's baby has since also been born, named Alexander Shepherd.

And now as I'm typing this, the three are all engaged to each other to be wed, Terence has a rekindled love with someone, and they're all living their happy (tolerable?), yet dysfunctional little virtual lives together in a rather cramped Willow Creek house. 😂

I'm sure some of my mods have helped to make parts of this experience more interesting, and although I'm a controlling player, I've been having a blast with this very unexpected storyline and all of its twists.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    @elanorbreton I haven't put a sim through university but I wish to have them living with roommates but not on campus. I take it from your post that it is possible but how do you go about it?

I also play rotationally so can you rotate after a sim completes a term with no consequences?
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    @elanorbreton I haven't put a sim through university but I wish to have them living with roommates but not on campus. I take it from your post that it is possible but how do you go about it?

I also play rotationally so can you rotate after a sim completes a term with no consequences?

Yes, you can with a caveat. You can't leave a Sim in the beginning or a middle of a term unless you want bad or even a failing grade. They don't do their studies if you aren't around.

The way I do it and learnt here on this forum is that I enroll them early on saturday morning (I prefer that so I can get a bit of a headstart on homeworks and other things) and IF they live in a dorm or a university housing I play the whole week through except on a friday, I save and exit completely before 5pm. That way you aren't forced to enroll again because that causes your Sim to go through next term without you and they will get a failing grade. If you are going to play them for more than one term you just play through and enroll them again after the term and play them through the week, but remember, if you want to leave that household to the next one. Better to wait till friday and leave before 5pm.

Now, if you live at home you can stay past 5pm when the term ends with no conseqences as long as you don't enroll again. Not enrolling will just put your Sim's studies on hold until you are ready to play that household again and enroll him or her back into their studies. The reasons you can't do that with university housing, that is not enroll your Sim, is that you have to move said Sim(s) out of the university housing into normal housings.

That works well for me. That being said. I had 2 Sims in dorm living in my game that I sent home for summer holidays after their terms. I have been playing with University bound Sims all winter (Sim seasonal winter that is) and it is now spring in my game so, the two Sims I have in university and living in dorms are now either at home or in a home where they work as a housekeeper/babysitter and they will stay there until late fall or early winter rolls over.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    You have to have enough spare beds for the number of roommates you want or the system will not let you have any.

Once you have the beds, click on a computer and 'advertise for roommates'. You will then have random sims turning up at your house/apartment as potential roommates. You can chat and get to know them and, if you decide you like them, accept as roommate. They will then move in and you can assign them a bed, lock them out of certain rooms and computers etc.

I also called up a friend and ask them to visit and when they arrived I asked them to be a roommate. I believe they have to not be living in another Lot for this to be possible.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    There are definitely situations where I will use them, but I haven't yet.

Well, I have once.

Cassandra Goth is the sister-in-law of my 1st Gen Heir, who married Alexander. I had her living with them as a nanny for a bit, then took the opportunity of getting Discover University to move her out on her own. At Britechester, I had her live in the house on campus with two bedrooms. The game assigned her three male roommates. She's a Loner - solitude is important for maintaining her wellbeing - so she got one bedroom to herself. I had to research the cheat to enable me to remodel the house, in order to give poor roommate #3 access to a bed! After that, things went... okay. But I did take the opportunity at the end of term to have Cass buy herself the starter home in Gibb's Hill, instead. Blessed solitude!

We'll give roommates another go sometime, with a more gregarious Sim!
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Oh. I misread :blush: Sorry. I thought you meant how to rotate with Sims enrolled in University :lol: I haven't even tried to roommate feature yet.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @elanorbreton So my sim can buy a house and have a roommate sleeping in the spare bedroom? I'm hoping to use the roommate system to find potential spouses for my sims. You know, two people living together hitting it off and all that.

@Stina1701A Don't apologise. You gave me some valuable information. So if you have a sim living on campus and you decline to enrol again, you need to buy them a new home to move into and you can enrol them again once you've rotated back to them?
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    Just a heads up pets effect the roommate system. Each pet takes up one bed (single or double doesn't matter).
  • Options
    ButteredToastButteredToast Posts: 47 Member
    > @calaprfy said:
    > @elanorbreton So my sim can buy a house and have a roommate sleeping in the spare bedroom? I'm hoping to use the roommate system to find potential spouses for my sims. You know, two people living together hitting it off and all that.
    >

Btw, you can also befriend NPC and ask him/her to be your roommate (under roommate interaction). This way you can find out first if the NPC has the traits that you want. I found most of my sims' roommates this way so I can avoid slobs.
  • Options
    @elanorbreton So my sim can buy a house and have a roommate sleeping in the spare bedroom? I'm hoping to use the roommate system to find potential spouses for my sims. You know, two people living together hitting it off and all that.
    Yes, exactly.

@Stina1701A I thought that was what the question had been too. The only reason I didn't answer that one was because you had already answered it so well.
  • Options
    TikaaniaTikaania Posts: 65 Member
    Hi, I would like to know how can my sim add her boyfriend as a roommate? Is there a cheat or how do I make him homeless to add him?
  • Options
    Tikaania wrote: »
    Hi, I would like to know how can my sim add her boyfriend as a roommate? Is there a cheat or how do I make him homeless to add him?

I wouldn't advise it as, in my experience, it seems roommates are programmed to behave in a certain way. But maybe other simmers have had better.
  • Options
    Tikaania wrote: »
    If he's in a house just evict him. Then your sim can invite him round and ask him to be a roommate. Make sure to have a bed for him.
  • Options
    simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    I love reading these positive experiences 🙂✨
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    University is the only ep i don't have and it seems to have some very good features. Roommates are def something i would love in my game, as attending uni from home is something that i always wanted...
  • Options
    telmarina wrote: »
    University is the only ep i don't have and it seems to have some very good features. Roommates are def something i would love in my game, as attending uni from home is something that i always wanted...
    You should treat yourself whilst it is 50% off!

I never liked uni in previous packs but I love it this time around and there is so much to use outside of uni too! It has some great build/buy and CAS assets, and I love watching my sims ride their bikes around. Of course, everyone is different, so I'm sure plenty of people dislike the pack.
  • Options
    Is there a bug regarding vanishing roommates?
  • Options
    vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    I can’t keep a sim a roommate longer than two to three days. There’s a bug. 😔 it always ends with them complaining about the living conditions... seriously there’s 8 bedrooms, 5 baths and a butler what are you talking about.