Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dirty dishes issue, is it some bug or just game mechanics

Every time I try to get sims to clean up the dishes they'll go around picking some up just to place them somewhere random and not put them in the dishwasher or sink. I'm forever finding plates stacked on a high shelves that I didnt know were there.
I'm sure it used to be fine and they'd clean them up. I always have to drag them myself into the sink
Even when automatically a sim starts to clean up after eating theyll end up putting somewhere random

Comments

• Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    This has happened in my game since the beginning of time, but it's gotten worse as of recently. I feel like Sims are ignoring their dishes altogether more, too.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Do you have a trash barrel? I've noticed that my Sims tend to go to the barrel first to scrape the plates and then wash the dishes afterwards. I don't know if this is something that got retuned because some of my Sims used to just go straight to the sink. I think if there's food still on the plate they need to scrape it off?

If it's not that, make sure the pathways are clear. Sometimes when there are kitchen cabinets above the sink, it causes routing problems.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    I have had this issue for a while now - even with a handy trash bin. Luckley we can pick those dishes up ourselves and deposit them into the trash PIA that it is. Another thing to be fixed
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    I think it's just buggy and getting buggier, but I find it satisfying in a self-hating sort of way; the Sims is supposed to be a life simulator, after all, and it reminds me there's literally nowhere I can go or be that I don't get stuck doing the dishes.
  • Options
    VampireSapphireVampireSapphire Posts: 90 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Do you have a trash barrel? I've noticed that my Sims tend to go to the barrel first to scrape the plates and then wash the dishes afterwards. I don't know if this is something that got retuned because some of my Sims used to just go straight to the sink. I think if there's food still on the plate they need to scrape it off?

If it's not that, make sure the pathways are clear. Sometimes when there are kitchen cabinets above the sink, it causes routing problems.

Iv not got a barrel and theres not a cabinet on top of the sink or the dishwasher. Frustrating. I wondered at first if there was too many dishes and that's why they were having issues but I dont think it's that even as they even do it when theres only a couple plates so
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Some of my sims need more prodding to do the dishes than others. I don't mind it, but stacks of dirty dishes in community lots is annoying
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    edited February 2020
    I haven’t experienced this as of late, tho it has happened in the past. What I do see all the time is that despite having an expensive, amazing and handy sink in the kitchen my sims choose to go out of their way to wash them in the bathroom sink. There’s nothing obstructing their use it of it either because they will use it from time to time. 🤷🏽‍♀️
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited February 2020
    Have you checked all possibilities where sims can put dirty plates? They sometimes put empty plates on shelves, but they don't take them away again. If there is an empty plate hidden somewhere on a shelf, even the butler won't clean dishes anymore.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    It tends to work for me, if they put the dirty dishes down in my game it is mostly because they are either trying to pick up an item that they are not being able to pick up, or that someone else is trying to pick up the dishes as well, or that some item is in the way or close to the sink, or that someone is eating, and generally the last sim who finishes a meal is the one who will pick up the dishes.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    When this happens in my game I hunt around with the walls up and look for dishes my Sim can't reach. The last culprit was the new self from Tiny Living. I had it above the counters in the kitchen and sure enough there was a plate on it. I drug the plate down and now my Sim does the dishes. Later, I added a small plant to the shelf to avoid it in the future. Also, watch higher half walls. They put stuff up there but can't get it down. I think they also still have problems with the big coffee tables and big round tables unless that was fixed.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I play with households of 8 so I just get the trash barrel that pays 10 per sim and then I throw the plates away myself for $80 per plate lol. My sims are a bit lazy with dishes but I figured it'd cuz I always cancel them doing it so that I can haha. Maybe not after all.
  • Options
    CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I recall this being an issue with ovens for some reason. A plate would get stuck in it somehow and that would prevent Sims from doing the dishes.
  • Options
    VampireSapphireVampireSapphire Posts: 90 Member
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    I haven’t experienced this as of late, tho it has happened in the past. What I do see all the time is that despite having an expensive, amazing and handy sink in the kitchen my sims choose to go out of their way to wash them in the bathroom sink. There’s nothing obstructing their use it of it either because they will use it from time to time. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I have autonomy on and this reminded me of why the hell do my sims when they need toilet when on the 2nd floor (which has a bathroom) go past the 1st floor (also has a bathroom) and go to the bathroom in the basement. The bathroom on the 2nd floor is right next to the bedroom and closer than the stairs so why do they do this 😂
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I made a Neat sim the other day. It had been a while since I last played one with that trait and I couldn't believe that she kept setting the dirty dish down on a table or some other surface. I always thought Neat sims cleaned up after themselves immediately. There's definitely something going on.
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    My Sim will make food and walk out of the kitchen, past the dining room table and put it on the coffee table. The dirty dishes they always end up on the coffee table or a half wall somewhere.

Dishes also get taken to be washed in the farthest sink actually so that is also bad lol.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    'Tis a buggy game mechanic, I'm afraid :/

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    Shenice92Shenice92 Posts: 1 New Member
    THANKS for everyone's help! i figured out the issue for MY game . my sim would not clean dishes, she just picked them up and put them back down somewhere else. so what i did was put up all my walls and found all the free standing plate people put on shelves and behind stuff and put everything in the kitchen with my sim. as soon as i hit play she started cleaning up everything i did not even have to tell her . so i guess when sims are cleaning they are trying to pick up everything and if they can't do to it being on a shelf or out of their reach they will put everything down . so essentially its a ALL or none thing . THANK YOU