Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Babies and Toddlers Combined, a Solution to the Inanimate Babies.

A lot of people have been talking about how to improve babies recently. I have been thinking about it a lot, and I have come up with a solution that I actually really love: baby and toddler life stages combined. Babies could start out as a baby in a crib, but slowly they would gain skills that allow them to become like how we currently know toddlers to be. The life stage could be 1.5 weeks and could just be called baby. You could edit in CAS throughout the entire life stage. Skills would be able to reach a higher level since there is more time to work on them. Some ideas of interactions you could do with babies to help them gain skills in the very beginning could be:
  • Play clapping and singing games with baby (increase imagination or communication skill)
  • Give baby tummy time where they can learn to push up from floor, sit, crawl, then eventually walk (increases movement skill)
  • Talk to baby (increase communication)
  • Take baby out in stroller and then (when they can walk) out for walks/adventures with parent (increase thinking skill because they are watching the world)
  • Play with baby and toys on floor (increase thinking, imagination, or communication)
  • Nurse baby on couch or chair (doesn't gain skills, but nicer than standing)
  • If multiple babies are in one room, even if they can't walk/crawl yet, they could babble at each other and gain a relationship and communication skills.
  • Babies could have mobiles above their beds/cribs to play with (could gain imagination, movement or thinking skill)
In the beginning babies would just cry when they need anything, but with a certain level of communication they could ask for specific things such as a bath or food. With movement skill at a certain level they would be able to push up from the floor, then later they would learn to sit, then later they would learn to crawl and escape from crib, and then walk, then run. Toddler beds would work, too, but there could be a higher chance of them staying in bed all night with a crib.

Once a baby reached, say, level four in any skill, they would start behaving like toddlers currently do at level one on any given skill. The skills could go up to level eight or ten. Potty could stick with three or five levels because they cannot start to learn potty until all their other skills are a little higher. There could be funny mishaps that occur if you try to teach potty too early.

Babies could start eating solid foods in a high chair once they reach movement level three or something like that.

There should be many more interactions available between babies and children or other babies. Children could ask to hold the baby (when it is little) with help from their parents. Babies could play with each other without using toys, like just poke each other and giggle and babble and touch each other's toes and things like that (once they can sit only). Children could sing to babies or play with toys with them.

I want to write more about my idea of taking them on walks, too. As babies in strollers, they could just talk to their caregiver who is taking them out, and they could do the "watch" and "what's that?" interactions with people and interesting object outside as they roll along. They would do those autonomously. Once they can walk on their own, they could hold an older sim's hand to go on a walk/adventure and play with things they find along the way. There could be outdoor interactions such as "play in dirt" or "play in grass" that they could perform while on a walk/adventure.

A lot of people say that it is too sad to have babies taken out of the crib because they just get lost, I disagree. Interactions where babies are taken out of the crib before they can crawl/walk on their own could be mandatory for the sims to finish. When a sim is peeing themselves or having an energy failure, they can't just suddenly get up and do something else because they get distracted. These interactions with babies could work a similar way. If you click cancel on something they are currently doing with a baby sim, they would always just pick up the baby and put them back away into the crib before doing anything else.

Those are my thoughts, feel free to comment any new ideas for interactions, thought, concerns, or anything you wish!

Comments

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited January 2020
    I replied to this comment in another thread. This idea blows me out of the water!! It's the best one yet!! It's like having the best of both worlds. And all of the ideas you have to go with it are excellent 👌👌👌👌👌👌
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I don't see how this would feasibly work, nor do I see how this would be efficient.

There are two separate models for the babies and toddlers, so I don't even think they could possibly be merged. Like seriously, how would that work? In the beginning they have the baby model, but then as time goes by, they become the toddler, yet the entire stage is just called baby and there's no aging up involved? Sorry, I don't understand. It sounds very awkward and confusing. It would also be extremely weird if the 3 year old looking tots in TS4 would be labeled as "baby", imo. I don't want to sound rude, but what you're suggesting just sounds technically impossible.

Second, I don't see how this would help either stage. Honestly, I think the toddlers stand decently fine on their own (They're severally lacking, in terms of content, but gameplay wise they're okay). Also, the current babies are newborns, while the toddlers look 3. It seems much more sensible, to me at least, to fill in the missing gap with an overhauled baby stage rather than mashing to two into one, which sounds awkward.

Lastly, this is just a personal thing, but I just don't want a 'baby-toddler combined' lifestage. I think they should each be their own thing. Maybe if the toddlers we had were much younger, something like this could have worked, but as it stands, I think it would be much more efficient to just get a baby overhaul in the future instead of trying to combine two different very different life stages to mesh into each other.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I love this! It's so cute, and even if it doesn't work out this is a really great idea.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I love this idea and it would be so great if it could work.
  • Options
    RhiannonravenRhiannonraven Posts: 128 Member
    I replied to this comment in another thread. This idea blows me out of the water!! It's the best one yet!! It's like having the best of both worlds. And all of the ideas you have to go with it are excellent 👌👌👌👌👌👌

Thank you so much!
  • Options
    RhiannonravenRhiannonraven Posts: 128 Member
    I don't see how this would feasibly work, nor do I see how this would be efficient.

There are two separate models for the babies and toddlers, so I don't even think they could possibly be merged. Like seriously, how would that work? In the beginning they have the baby model, but then as time goes by, they become the toddler, yet the entire stage is just called baby and there's no aging up involved? Sorry, I don't understand. It sounds very awkward and confusing. It would also be extremely weird if the 3 year old looking tots in TS4 would be labeled as "baby", imo. I don't want to sound rude, but what you're suggesting just sounds technically impossible.

Second, I don't see how this would help either stage. Honestly, I think the toddlers stand decently fine on their own (They're severally lacking, in terms of content, but gameplay wise they're okay). Also, the current babies are newborns, while the toddlers look 3. It seems much more sensible, to me at least, to fill in the missing gap with an overhauled baby stage rather than mashing to two into one, which sounds awkward.

Lastly, this is just a personal thing, but I just don't want a 'baby-toddler combined' lifestage. I think they should each be their own thing. Maybe if the toddlers we had were much younger, something like this could have worked, but as it stands, I think it would be much more efficient to just get a baby overhaul in the future instead of trying to combine two different very different life stages to mesh into each other.

I do think it is probably pretty far fetched, but I would love for it to work somehow. Currently there are things that toddlers can't do until they reach a certain level in a certain skill, like going potty alone and running. This would function basically the same way. Baby cannot walk until movement level x, baby cannot ask for food until communication level x. I think it could work.

For the size issue, it would be a little awkward, but I think they could just look like two year olds the whole time. I would be fine with that, but I do appreciate that some people would find it very irritating.

Once they baby reached a certain level in their skills, they would behave as toddlers currently do, so there would be nothing missing that had previously been in the toddler stage.

Of course you are free to disagree, just thought I would explain things a bit more, sorry if that's annoying. I am definitely not trying to start an argument (:
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member

I agree. I want two different life stages. Babies and toddlers are not the same and I don't want them to feel like the teen and adult life stages we currently have. Babies are smaller and toddlers are bigger and in the sims 4 look pre-school age. I really like the toddlers we have in the sims 4.I also wouldn't want my baby that was just born looking like a two-year-old.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member

I do think it is probably pretty far fetched, but I would love for it to work somehow. Currently there are things that toddlers can't do until they reach a certain level in a certain skill, like going potty alone and running. This would function basically the same way. Baby cannot walk until movement level x, baby cannot ask for food until communication level x. I think it could work.

For the size issue, it would be a little awkward, but I think they could just look like two year olds the whole time. I would be fine with that, but I do appreciate that some people would find it very irritating.

Once they baby reached a certain level in their skills, they would behave as toddlers currently do, so there would be nothing missing that had previously been in the toddler stage.

Of course you are free to disagree, just thought I would explain things a bit more, sorry if that's annoying. I am definitely not trying to start an argument (:

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. I may not agree with yours but we can agree to disagree and no one should be made to feel like their opinion doesn't matter. Keep voicing your opinions! :)
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    How would it work for those that play with aging off and want to have a baby and a toddler in the family forever? (this is how I like playing haha... A tot with a baby sibling)

I like the idea of gradual aging for all Sims tbh but as long as it can be started and stopped at any age. Like I wish I could create a baby in cas and say it was 6mo old and another was 1.5 lol
  • Options
    motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    A lot of people have been talking about how to improve babies recently. I have been thinking about it a lot, and I have come up with a solution that I actually really love: baby and toddler life stages combined. Babies could start out as a baby in a crib, but slowly they would gain skills that allow them to become like how we currently know toddlers to be. The life stage could be 1.5 weeks and could just be called baby. You could edit in CAS throughout the entire life stage. Skills would be able to reach a higher level since there is more time to work on them. Some ideas of interactions you could do with babies to help them gain skills in the very beginning could be:
    • Play clapping and singing games with baby (increase imagination or communication skill)
    • Give baby tummy time where they can learn to push up from floor, sit, crawl, then eventually walk (increases movement skill)
    • Talk to baby (increase communication)
    • Take baby out in stroller and then (when they can walk) out for walks/adventures with parent (increase thinking skill because they are watching the world)
    • Play with baby and toys on floor (increase thinking, imagination, or communication)
    • Nurse baby on couch or chair (doesn't gain skills, but nicer than standing)
    • If multiple babies are in one room, even if they can't walk/crawl yet, they could babble at each other and gain a relationship and communication skills.
    • Babies could have mobiles above their beds/cribs to play with (could gain imagination, movement or thinking skill)
    In the beginning babies would just cry when they need anything, but with a certain level of communication they could ask for specific things such as a bath or food. With movement skill at a certain level they would be able to push up from the floor, then later they would learn to sit, then later they would learn to crawl and escape from crib, and then walk, then run. Toddler beds would work, too, but there could be a higher chance of them staying in bed all night with a crib.

Once a baby reached, say, level four in any skill, they would start behaving like toddlers currently do at level one on any given skill. The skills could go up to level eight or ten. Potty could stick with three or five levels because they cannot start to learn potty until all their other skills are a little higher. There could be funny mishaps that occur if you try to teach potty too early.

Babies could start eating solid foods in a high chair once they reach movement level three or something like that.

There should be many more interactions available between babies and children or other babies. Children could ask to hold the baby (when it is little) with help from their parents. Babies could play with each other without using toys, like just poke each other and giggle and babble and touch each other's toes and things like that (once they can sit only). Children could sing to babies or play with toys with them.

I want to write more about my idea of taking them on walks, too. As babies in strollers, they could just talk to their caregiver who is taking them out, and they could do the "watch" and "what's that?" interactions with people and interesting object outside as they roll along. They would do those autonomously. Once they can walk on their own, they could hold an older sim's hand to go on a walk/adventure and play with things they find along the way. There could be outdoor interactions such as "play in dirt" or "play in grass" that they could perform while on a walk/adventure.

A lot of people say that it is too sad to have babies taken out of the crib because they just get lost, I disagree. Interactions where babies are taken out of the crib before they can crawl/walk on their own could be mandatory for the sims to finish. When a sim is peeing themselves or having an energy failure, they can't just suddenly get up and do something else because they get distracted. These interactions with babies could work a similar way. If you click cancel on something they are currently doing with a baby sim, they would always just pick up the baby and put them back away into the crib before doing anything else.

Those are my thoughts, feel free to comment any new ideas for interactions, thought, concerns, or anything you wish!

I agree that babies and toddlers, children need more interactions
  • Options
    SewcialSewcial Posts: 2 New Member
    I love this idea and it is so much more realistic. It would be easy to make baby stage 1 and baby stage 2 for the transition from helpless newborn to the baby sitting and learning the new skills before the toddler stage kicks in.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Sewcial wrote: »
    I love this idea and it is so much more realistic. It would be easy to make baby stage 1 and baby stage 2 for the transition from helpless newborn to the baby sitting and learning the new skills before the toddler stage kicks in.

Stage 1 (0-6 months) would end with independent sitting and crawling, and stage 2 (6-12 months) would feature first words and steps.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I like a lot of the ideas you mentioned besides babies and toddlers being merged I think both should be completly sepeate life stages with their own model combining the two in my opinion just wont work or look good. With toddlers just leave them as in and add in all the baby improvements you would see in the first year of life from gaining strength with tummy time to learning to crawl and eventually being able to prop themselves up holding onto objects like a coffee table and with that they are ready to age into a toddler who's just learning to walk.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    PaulineAngel34PaulineAngel34 Posts: 3 New Member
    J'adore cette idée et ce serait superbe si ça pouvait fonctionner
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    The thing I don't like about making babies far more than they already are, is that I don't want the only play style my Sims can have, if they dare have one of those, to be practically uable to relieve their own bladder unless the plunk the baby into something that is just a bassinet replacement. A baby containment unit. There is no babywearing so containers are a necessity.😅
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    KARENsLIFE_7X7KARENsLIFE_7X7 Posts: 13 New Member
    I think this is a great idea. Ofcourse I would just love a baby stage, but if ea isn't going to give us a better one, this is the best of both worlds. I would also love it, if in CAS you can make your baby a baby again, even after a birthday like all the other sims. I do hope EA sees this, because there are so many people who want a very active baby stage. Cribs, changing table, stroller for walks, tummy time. I'm surprised EA hasn't come up with something other than it's original. So many people are wanting this. I've been playing sims 4 for three years, and the baby stage definately needs to be much more hands on and interactive. Also, would love a option from toddler to teens to visit grandparents on weekends. Also, to be able to switch households easier, than what it is now.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I would love for the toddlers to be more like babies at the beginning & not instantly be able to stand & walk.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I don't like this idea at all. I love toddlers because they're more independent. I would hate for them to be saddled in the same life stage as babies.