Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are so many dorm roomates sad and crying so often

I had a roommate, and she would almost always walk around "sad", and would often go under her covers and cry. It got annoying so I got a new roommate. Same thing started to happen with new roommate. Is this just a result of their classes / homework / stress?

Comments

• Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Could be a variety of things only ever had one or two roommates not all of them. I THINK there is a emo archetype roommate, but dunno if their quirk is always gloomy or what.

You ould temporarily add roommate to your active household to see what buff they have and just remove them by shift clicking.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Someone else can give more detail but that's the "emo loner" roommate trait. The roommates have various traits to do things like fixing an item, bringing food or throwing parties. I've only had one who has had it so far, crying and leaving notes before he moved out at the end of the semester. It sounds like you have had several.

There are people like this. I remember going to a summer camp where someone would cry every morning, irritating everyone else. That person was homesick.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Because they saw their ex with someone else and couldn't deal. Because their crush didn't notice them. Because they were in another breakup. Because they were still together but he forgot their 2-months-together anniversary. Because they had a contraception malfunction or caught herpes. Because he hadn't texted in 2 whole days! The reasons are limitless. How much of that pertains to the game, though, who knows.

Hope your gloomy tearful roommate isn't making you hate the game. If that were my game, I'd get my Sim turned into a vampire, and Drink Uncontrollably til my roommate problem was all gone. >:)
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    That is because they have a hidden trait. All roommates get hidden traits to make it more "fun". It is most likely the hidden trait called trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_EmoLoner which gives them a sad buff that does not go away.

I personally find this trait to be a bit too much to be honest. It reminds me of people with depression.
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    i love the realism in this game
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    The reminds me of my dorm experience, except substitute the crying with guys running down the hall screaming in their underwear.

Actually that’s totally different. I’ll just show myself out.
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    edited November 2019
    logion wrote: »
    That is because they have a hidden trait. All roommates get hidden traits to make it more "fun". It is most likely the hidden trait called trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_EmoLoner which gives them a sad buff that does not go away.

I personally find this trait to be a bit too much to be honest. It reminds me of people with depression.

Hey, do these new hidden traits affect Sims in other worlds, or is it limited to Uni?

I'm fascinated because Caleb Vatore went off the deep end in rage due to Cassandra cheating on him (I did a little dollhouse smashing in my game for the grim joy of being a homewrecker, but repented and quit without saving so they are happy again now) but I saw the strangest urn, and I am suspecting it's a spellcaster urn, but I don't have that pack (yet...planning on getting it this sale). Is this a spellcaster urn, and if so, that must mean I have spellcasters in my game despite not having the Realms of Magic Pack? Does that mean I can also encounter Sims with hidden traits like you were talking about?
    3E3wC2j.png
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member

Hey, do these new hidden traits affect Sims in other worlds, or is it limited to Uni?

I'm fascinated because Caleb Vatore went off the deep end in rage due to Cassandra cheating on him (I did a little dollhouse smashing in my game for the grim joy of being a homewrecker, but repented and quit without saving so they are happy again now) but I saw the strangest urn, and I am suspecting it's a spellcaster urn, but I don't have that pack (yet...planning on getting it this sale). Is this a spellcaster urn, and if so, that must mean I have spellcasters in my game despite not having the Realms of Magic Pack? Does that mean I can also encounter Sims with hidden traits like you were talking about?
    3E3wC2j.png

Looks like an alien urn. I recently had an alien die, and it looked like that.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    College?
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I haven't run into this with Chance's roomates in the dorm at Foxbury, but in TS3 I ran into a glitch with my fraternity house where roommates weren't eating. It isn't that there wasn't a kitchen, plus dorm fridges and/or microwaves in the 2 common rooms. They simply failed to care for themselves. Within a week, all seven roommates died in a week. My Sim had a REALLY rough term! After that, I made on-campus luxury housing just for him.
  • Options
    TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    Would if it was just because they got stuck living with your sim? That would be pretty funny.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    Have you ever been to college? Crying and wanting to die is basically a requirement there these days.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2019

It's only when they are roommates, so don't worry, if they are not roommates, then they won't have these hidden traits. I also tried to add one roommate to my family and when that happens the game removes the RoommateNPC traits.