Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why home remedies never work for sickness?

My sims is getting too sick often I'm not sure if it's a bug but it's annoying to constantly buy a medicine to cure a sim then switch to another household then bam they're sick also..and its not even allergies seasons (its summer)

I tried drinking orange juice and herbal tea but they only give you a combat cold moodlet for an hour then it disappear and they sick again..

I don't understand what's the point of having them in the game if they never work?

Comments

• Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    The point is gameplay and a touch of realism. The home remedies alleviate debillitating moodlets for a while just like they do in real life (you get my point, I hope). In my experience, most of the sicknesses go away after 2-3 days of in-game time without using any medicine.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I've noticed they lessen the length of a sickness moodlet. I think it's designed to allow them to feel better but it takes a little longer than the medicines will, as far as I can tell.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    The point is gameplay and a touch of realism. The home remedies alleviate debillitating moodlets for a while just like they do in real life (you get my point, I hope). In my experience, most of the sicknesses go away after 2-3 days of in-game time without using any medicine.

Well if it really would go for realism then taking medicine wouldn't cure you immediately, it should take at least few hours in game til they start better..honestly the whole sickness in game is so unrealistic and random..

But I get your point..however I thought leaving your sim sick without taking medicine will make them worse..it wont?
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Not realistic at all, but a forced reality that medicines work 'better' than natural remedies.
    Herb teas would be a great cure for these sickness and could go nice with ROM and herbalists sims. Would love for the devs to turn a little this way and expand these options.
  • Options
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    I've noticed they lessen the length of a sickness moodlet. I think it's designed to allow them to feel better but it takes a little longer than the medicines will, as far as I can tell.

So the home remedies can really shortens you sickness in game? Like the more you drink the faster you get healed?

I also don't know which herbal tea in the game that cure the fastest..or they're all have same effect on sickness?
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    You'll need the green tea.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    graventhe wrote: »

So the home remedies can really shortens you sickness in game? Like the more you drink the faster you get healed?

I also don't know which herbal tea in the game that cure the fastest..or they're all have same effect on sickness?

I think so, yeah. I've not had much sickness but I did note that much. I think I've had them drink two glassess of orange juice one after the other and that did seem to help.
  • Options
    graventhe wrote: »

I think so, yeah. I've not had much sickness but I did note that much. I think I've had them drink two glassess of orange juice one after the other and that did seem to help.

I did that and they got sick again after two hours..lol
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    You'll need the green tea.

I second that.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I usually follow the OJ with a nap and that nips it in the bud.
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    Yeah I found sickness slightly annoying, especially while playing rotationally, which is why I used a mod from here to lessen sickness.
    https://www.deichschafblog.de/s4/mods-fuer-an-die-arbeit/

But it was to the point where my sims almost never got sick and I found myself starting to miss that part of the game. Weirdly enough. I'll probably put the mod back in when I get sick of sickness (heh) again.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I find that if one family member gets it , it's spreads to the others as well. It can be an ongoing problem if you have a large household.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I think it is pretty realistic and hope they don't tone it down. The medicine makes a sim energized because they feel better but also because it probably has stimulants in it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    The medicine only goes so far. I tend not to use it on my sims unless I really have to. The best things that work are healthy green tea and plenty of rest. Using soaks in the tub or hot and spicy foods tend to help but healthy green and plenty of rest help.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    I think it is pretty realistic and hope they don't tone it down. The medicine makes a sim energized because they feel better but also because it probably has stimulants in it.

It's not realistic to get cured immediately..they should make medicine take few hours to take effects not instantly, also I bet you never played rotationally?
    When you switch to another household suddenly they're sick..then play another household in another world they also get sick same day!
    Sorry but this is not realistic this is so random and dumb..
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I went through a few Sim days in which every member of the household got sick, and then they kept getting sick (with different illnesses). I was starting to wonder if there was some hidden penalty for too much magic - 'a pox on your house', so to speak. ;) More likely, sickness either got a bit overtuned, or we've just been unlucky (or lucky, depending on how you see it). Sometimes, I'll go entire generations without any sickness at all.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    I've never had the rotational problem and I'm rotating every sim week, so I'm going to take a guess that's not happening every time then? Not had anybody sick for quite a while and no mods to that effect, either.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Actually, sometimes tea or rest help. Look for wants of curing illness in either of those means.
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    My sims recently started getting sick. First time in the five months I've played. I don't have RoM. Must just be that time of year (shrugs).
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    That's why I love the scientist career, snake oil they can synthesize on the chemical table takes care of sickness.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    With the illnesses I'd prefer to use a remedy, medicine or go to the hospital(why can't we go to the hospital?). Some of my sims get sick constantly and some never. Not sure if sickly sims are a mechanic or not, kind of cool. I have them drinking water, tea, orange juice and napping. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Not sure if all things work on same illnesses.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Make them sleep it off if they can. I found that out recently. My sim kept getting moodlets for a tummy bug so I made her go to bed and it started the moodlet started counting down really quickly and soon it was gone.
  • Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    The green tea from the teapot and taking naps both help, at least in my game :)
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    the home remedies do tend to help, but you need to do them more than once... i often have a sim brew a pot of green tea, everyone in the household then drinks the tea, the sims that get the 'combating cold' buff then go take naps and later on, i have everyone drink orange juice just in case

and as someone else pointed out, large families can get problematic, even if everyone drinks medicine at the same time... someone's bound to still reinfect others near them (...i'm actually wondering if it's the pets carrying it and unable to get sick/cured) and you get to start the whole thing over

i've actually resorted to giving some sims (especially my vampires and ghosts) the doctor's 'sickness resistant' trait to help, even though that still doesn't give immunity
  • Options
    stephanie132392stephanie132392 Posts: 91 Member
    Usually, green tea or orange juice followed by a nap does the trick.