Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

good witch or bad witch?

yes, I know they are called "spellcasters" and not witches, but I'm still going to personally label my females witches. lol. Anyway, I didn't finish the livestream because I didn't want to be completely spoiled so I didn't see all what we can do with the magic. Is it possible to have a "good" spellcaster and a "bad" spellcaster? The answer to this question may altar how I may start playing the game.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member
    NO, there are no alignment system like in TS2, just magic schools. What a shame.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    They said that using magic in malevolent ways can guve your Sim a bad reputation (if you have Get Famous installed) so in that way you could defintely have a bad witch. I prefer no alignment system because it allows the spellcasters more individuality. I prefer characters that are morally grey rather than just good or bad.
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    There is no system/recognition of a good/bad witch. You could definitely play it that way though. If anything livestream showed that. It all comes down to your perception and play style. It is very open to player interpretation.
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    Kamio wrote: »
    There is no system/recognition of a good/bad witch. You could definitely play it that way though. If anything livestream showed that. It all comes down to your perception and play style. It is very open to player interpretation.

ok good to know. Thanks!
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I prefer using reputation as a measure of how good or bad a witch is, I think. It means we can do the alignment thing if we want to but aren't locked into it.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member
    1. You can interpret all you want but the game itself doesn't recognize it, period.
    2. Reputation system needs Get Famous installed, so don't bring it here.
    3. Alignment system was never about just good or bad. It always had neutrals (grey witches in TS2), so it is wrong to say it limits you.
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Faust-RSI wrote: »
    1. You can interpret all you want but the game itself doesn't recognize it, period.
    3. Alignment system was never about just good or bad. It always had neutrals (grey witches in TS2), so it is wrong to say it limits you.

Says the person not buying it and is extremely vocal about not buying and how stupid RoM is. If we who have GF want to use rep as an alignment system then so we can.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member

The Alignment system for TS2 witches was extremely limiting, and I say that as a fan of the game and those particular witches. Good witches couldn’t do evil spells, period, and vice versa. A fully neutral witch was the most limited of all being unable to do either good or evil spells (at least the others could do neutral spells with the right reagents etc). This greatly limited the gameplay around each individual witch. Plus performing each spell inevitably set witches on a certain path whether you wanted it or not, until their skins were turning bluish and sparkling or horribly wicked witch of the West green. I am glad there aren’t these constraints in this pack because I can imagine scenarios where some spells and potions could have both good and evil applications.

• Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »

Says the person not buying it and is extremely vocal about not buying and how stupid RoM is. If we who have GF want to use rep as an alignment system then so we can.

Don't even respond to that person. Constant negativity and attacking those who like Realm of Magic.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Just as in real life, morality is not in the tool, but in how you apply it. Yes, you can play good casters, or bad casters. But it isn't coded as "good" versus "evil" - it's "Practical", "Mischief" and "Untamed", plus potions.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited September 2019
    How you use magic is up to you... to a certain extent.

I know for me, I have spell casters that are perceived to be Good and Evil.

It's not the spells, that make them a good or bad, it's their intentions, and I think the sims 4 allows room for that.
    I say all that matters is how you see your sim, not how the game recognizes your sim
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    How you use magic is up to you... to a certain extent.
    Still bummed you can cast Lightning and Frost on sims, but you can't cast Fire on sim's because it will kill them? Who says it has to kill them? If I throw a fire ball at another sim and they fail to deflect it. The could probably make them appear Charred, or knock them back a couple of feet, doesn't have to kill them.

You can set sims on fire, they don’t die either just get charred. They did it in the stream.

—T
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    There is no good or bad spellcaster. Though if you use certain magic and have Get Famous, they can probably get a bad reputation (sims don't like being set on fire probably) which can make them seem like a bad witch. Practical magic would probably do the opposite and help you get a good reputation.

I like it better this way as it gives my sim more opportunities to try and learn different magic without just being seen as bad.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I agree with MasonGamer, it's how your spellcaster uses the magic. Personally my spellcaster will be a little of both, hehe. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'll definitely make good and evil spellcasters and those that are somewhere in the middle. Yes the game doesn't decide to make them either Glinda the Good Witch or the Wicked Witch of the West and woohoo I'm glad of that. You pick their traits and decide what you want them to be and how they will use their powers.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited September 2019
    It depends on how the spells are used. For example, you can put out fires with with the same spell that mischievously freezes a sim. You could use a love spell between two single sims who you think would suit each other, or you could use it on enemies/their spouses to make them cheat on each other.

GF reputation system comes into play here, as others have said. If you don't have GF, then you would likely have to judge based on ratio of friends to enemies, or the intent behind actions (even if the results weren't as desired).
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'll want my evil witches to be seen publicly as good mostly.... I hope that's possible :)
    egTcBMc.png