Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about planting/growing morning glory flowers.

TSandersTSanders Posts: 89 Member
So around March-April, I planted some morning glory flowers. The seed packets were for solid color flowers. I had purple, red, blue, and white. I did plant them close together and that may have been the wrong thing to do, I don't know. I also had moonflower seeds planted in between the morning glory seeds.

Anyway, I forgot to take a picture of it sadly and I woke up too late to see it in bloom but I saw the bud last night. It had thick red and white stripes.
I was wondering if it is possible to get multi-colored flowers out of solid color packets or did me planting the flowers so close to one another have some sort of effect? The shared image is the closest one I could find to show the thickness of the stripes, even though I am pretty sure this isn't a morning glory flower:
1627-red-white-flowers.jpg
BabyBunBunOfDoom on Origin

Comments

• Options
    lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    Based upon what I know about biology, seeds cannot cross genetics while in seed form. The DNA is surrounded by the seed coating keeping it inside. Plants cannot willynilly just put two seeds together and go hey let's cross breed. They pollinate. If I remember correctly, flowers have both male and female parts, the golden things are coated in pollen. Think of them like eggs. There is a longer center thing I think is called an anther. Think of that like the male part. Bees, butterflies, etc will carry the pollen from one flower to another, thus cross pollinating. Flowers can also self pollinate. I'm not an expert in it but that's pretty basic.

Now as for your striped flowers, I've seen those before. They would have come out of your seed packet. When the flower's parents cross pollinated, the person growing the seeds probably didn't realized red crossed with white. It's rare. Normally red cross with white in flowers leads to pink, not stripes, but some species will do stripes.

Long story short, the stripes have nothing to do with your close planting. They're pretty though, aren't they?
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls