Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing a world from the exchange.

Hi
There are some worlds I want to install into my game that need store content.
I do have all the store content but have installed it using Cian’s method.
https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/866577/how-to-install-store-items/p1
Which means in my dccash folder there are several ebc files numbered 0-30 or a number close to that.

So my question is do I need to have the ebc with the store stuff that the world needs in my game when I install the world or just when I go to play that world?

My second question is if I do have the store files in my game when I install and the world adds to an ebc file which will it add to. Example if I have ebc files 0,1,2,3,4, will the world add to file 0 or file 4?
Thank you I hope you can help me with my little conundrum.

Comments

• Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited July 2019
    I just tested to download and install a venue from the Exchange, in a new sims 3 folder. I then downloaded and installed one of the required Store items listed on its page. Started a new save, placed the lot/venue. The store item I had installed after having installed the venue was present on the lot.

The .ebc-files in DCCache are for Sims 3 Store items; third party custom content installed have extension: .dbc, that includes imported sims you exported yourself.

Here is an explanation of the user files in the Sims 3 folder:
    https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

I don't really know the answer to your question on the numbers, except that in my own DCCache the .ebc 1-7 are of approximate size 200-300 000 kB; while nr 8 is 83 000. So my guess is that any further downloaded and installed store items would go in the latest number batch. But to test this I would have to download and install a lot of items, which I don't really want to have in my folder. But you can test it yourself; or post in the Store section of the forum; since I think it might be frequented by different players than this one. :smile:

Edit: Sorry, I am a little confused today. I just downloaded and installed a small store item, which made the .ebc nr 8 go up in size. :smile:
    Post edited by Auroraskies on
  • Options
    TeaniasTeanias Posts: 2,160 Member
    @Auroraskies Thank you so much for testing out your own game to answer my questions! I wouldn’t have thought to use venue to do a test! They are so different to me but to the game the only difference should be the size of the file. Thank you also for doing so much to get the answer to my second question as well! Now if the world won’t install without the ebc files I know to make sure that my last file has space Incase it adds to it. I am not that computer savvy and messing with the files always makes me nervous. You have helped to calm my worries on this! ( I still get nervous when I delete those cash files.)
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited July 2019
    You are welcome! But unless it is a EA Store world, I think it will create a .dbc file; not add to your existing .ebc files. Which world is it that you wish to download? I could check that too!

I do not know enough of how the ebc works, but I don't think they run out of space, but that the items are compressed to a new batch when the last is full enough. The players in Store section will know more. It might effect performance though, having so much installed.

Edit: Oh, and don't be nervous to trash the cache; they will always come back to you :tongue:

Edit 2: And if I understand you correctly: it might depend on the world and the store items in question; but I do not think the actual install of the world would be hindered by a couple of missing store items. In the venue I installed, the store items I had not installed in the folder just wasn’t there on the lot; it did not effect the lot's function.