Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bird-sighting: hawk in birdbath!

TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
I had the blinds closed to keep out the heat, but opened them after several minutes of hearing a lot of jays calling out alarms. I was expecting one of the cats (there's one that I think is feral, & one I think must live with people nearby). I noticed a very large bird in my ground-level birdbath. I stared at it a second or two before realizing that it was a hawk. A hawk, all fluffed up and splashing enthusiastically in the water! Water flying everywhere!--and then it saw me, unfortunately, & after staring back a moment, it flew heavily (waterlogged!) over the back fence & disappeared in the trees. I didn't see enough to recognize the species. We haven't been in this neighborhood all that long, & this is the first time I've seen a hawk here.

Would've loved to get a picture but didn't even think of it in the brief time all that happened.

Thought there might be some fellow bird-lovers who would enjoy hearing about it. I've never witnessed a hawk bathing before. Years ago, in a different home, there were a couple times one landed on the balcony railing, & in our last place, every spring a family of red-shouldered hawks (parent/s & fledglings) would regularly perch on the apt. complex's playground set. They'd preen, sunbathe a bit, & the young-un's would hunt grasshoppers while waiting for something better from the parent/s.

Have any bird-watching stories you'd like to relate? :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    That's awesome! I love seeing birds out in the garden. We often get monk parrots walking around ours, they are so cute! It definitely makes my day seeing them and all the other birds.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    That sounds wonderful, @kittymeow ! The only parrots I've seen flying about on their own have been escapees - a cockatiel I was able to catch for her owner, & a nanday conure that came to our bird feeder and laughed at my efforts to capture him/her.

I'll never get there, but ever since some birding friends told us of seeing galah cockatoos wandering picnic grounds in Australia as crows do here, I've wanted to see it for myself. I do wonder which N. American birds seem exotic to people from continents where those birds don't exist!

edit: typo
    Post edited by Tiarella on
  • Options
    kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    It is! I am from the UK but now living in South America, so it wasn't usual for me to see parrots flying around before. That's great you managed to catch the cockatiel, I don't know what I'd do if my budgies escaped.

I would love to see that, I love parrots and all other birds. I'd like to go bird watching, I find it very peaceful. How great is that to having a hawk using your bird bath though!
  • Options
    I hope you're able to do lots of bird-watching where you are, @kittymeow - there must be some amazing birds around! Thank you for chatting with me about the hawk--I was so excited to have seen one bathe! :lol: I enjoy seeing any bird bathe; they're so darn cute when they fluff up and dance around in the water! Seeing a big old buteo hawk acting exactly like every sparrow, robin, & dove was a delight! :heart: