Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't 'clean up' trash in Sulani

I keep finding volcanic 'trash' (they look more like mud pots to me, but evidently, they're bad) and large pieces of trash in Sulani, but the interaction 'clean up' doesn't work. My Sim just waves her arms around and has a 'blocked route' thought bubble. There are also some trash piles that have the interaction 'throw away', and those my Sim can clean up.

Does she need to be in the conservationist career to 'clean up'?
I just want things to match. :'(

Comments

• Options
    missmaddmissmadd Posts: 7 New Member
    I keep having my Sims beachcomb for trash it seems to be working but not saving the process of cleaning up Sulani.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Any sim can clean up Mua Pel'am not just the ones doing the career. Are you trying to clean up the "puddles" by the sulfur pool? If so, they take several tries to clean up. Just keep clicking "clean up" and you'll eventually get them.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i had that with the piles of sulfur (the ones outside the sulfur pool down near the coast) at first...it turned out to mostly be townie conservationists had targeted them for the 'take a sample' interaction so they cancelled out my sim's 'clean up' interaction (same as if another sim in a household beat the one you were actively playing to using the fridge when both were hungry)

i also seem to recall similar with the ash piles (up near the top of the volcano) when i very first loaded up in mua pel'am but that seemed to fix itself after an exit and reload of the lot (same happened with the lava boulders from the volcanic lot trait, which is actually why i left the lot and returned)

and @missmadd, picking up trash on the island of mua pel'am does indeed count for conservation efforts there. you should get a green leaf over your sim and a short note played to signify that. it takes 50 'points' to change the island to the second stage and another 50 'points' to change it to the third and final stage. and picking up trash counts for one point each, so it can take a while
  • Options
    HannaSarasHannaSaras Posts: 25 Member
    I had that issue too. For me, having my sim move around the pile and try from different angles would eventually work. But combing the beach for trash also helps to clean up the island so I'd probably suggest doing that instead, because trying to find the right spot where your sim will get to the pile gets quite tiresome quite fast. You don't have to do the career to clean up the island, but it'll be faster from what I've gathered.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    fishing actually seems to be one of the quickest ways to clean up the island (outside the conservationist-only interactions with anti-conservationists, litterbugs and fish poachers)

catching an invasive species (goldfish, perch, celestial grouper) counts as 1 point
    'catching' 'trash' (treasure chests, gardening harvestables, seaweed, driftwood, maps and such) counts as 1 point
    releasing an endangered species as opposed to keeping it (butterfly fish, leopard shark, golden mahi mahi, bluefin tuna, royal sabrefish) counts as 1 point

add to that the fact that fishing is more or less a 'fire and forget' interaction where your sim can do it for hours on end without needing a break to fix their moods, those points start to add up fast

the conservationist-specific ones with those townie roles can be worth up to 10 points each, but are prone to failure (esp the 'ask nicely to leave') though there is a backup plan of earning points by fighting the sim, if you're ok with a bad reputation
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited July 2019
    Thanks, everyone - I'll try to 'clean up' some of those spots again.

Editing to add - yes, it's working just fine, now. I must have had bad luck with the first ones I tried.
    Post edited by invisiblgirl on
    I just want things to match. :'(