Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Didn't turn into a mermaid after eating kelp

I purchased a mermaid kelp from the reward store and my sim ate it and got a 24 hour energized moodlet abd I thought after it ends she'll turn into a mermaid but she didn't!
I found it ridiculous there's no traditional way of turning your ordinary sim into a mermaid even if you're married to a mermaid..
Tried checking the caves, playing fetching with dolphins..nope..there should be a way your mermaid friend or lover can hand you a kelp..
Anyway anyone else experiencing this? The buff has gone and she still human..

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Did you have her go into the ocean? That's the only way to see the change.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    There's no visual effects other than the moodlet telling you what you need to do about answering the call to the ocean. You have to go into the water to be able to change into a mermaid/merman. If not, you just don't turn into one.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    There's no visual effects other than the moodlet telling you what you need to do about answering the call to the ocean. You have to go into the water to be able to change into a mermaid/merman. If not, you just don't turn into one.

So within the active moodlet I have to go to the ocean? Sorry I didnt know that..so if the moodlet wears off I have to eat the kelp again or I can go to the ocean now?
    Also is there a better way instead of getting it thro rewards store I find it very boring and not great for story telling
  • Options
    fiercephoenix91fiercephoenix91 Posts: 175 Member
    The moodlet gives 24 hours and within the 24 hours during the moodlet, your Sim has to go into the water. I know there's like some little store/kiosk somewhere that might have the Kelp (not positive), but I know on the island with the volcano there is a cave to explore. It's rare, but there is a chance to find the Kelp. I personally keep using the Rewards points if I don't create a Mermaid/Merman in CAS or have one of my Sims marry a Mermaid/Merman to make the possibility of a Mermaid/Merman is born.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    While exploring the cave, or a dolphin can bring one back, but it's rare. If you want it that way you have to keep trying.

And yes the moodlet says your sim feels compelled to go into the water. Didn't you read it ?
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    My sim went into the cave and she came out with 10 kelp. She consumed one, now I don't really know what to do with the other 9....she is already married to merman (the one that comes with the game).
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    My sim went into the cave and she came out with 10 kelp. She consumed one, now I don't really know what to do with the other 9....she is already married to merman (the one that comes with the game).

Ha ha, if you could swing by my sim it would be great. Keep on going spelunking and looking for treasure but still no kelp. Gahh....
  • Options
    Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Some people have reported getting kelp on their second trip into the cave. It took me at least 20 trips.
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    How do you get into the cave? My sims don’t have any interaction options when I select the cave. :/
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Jase wrote: »
    How do you get into the cave? My sims don’t have any interaction options when I select the cave. :/

Make sure it's the right cave - you want the one behind the lot with the airplane crash.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    I purchased a mermaid kelp from the reward store and my sim ate it and got a 24 hour energized moodlet abd I thought after it ends she'll turn into a mermaid but she didn't!
    I found it ridiculous there's no traditional way of turning your ordinary sim into a mermaid even if you're married to a mermaid..
    Tried checking the caves, playing fetching with dolphins..nope..there should be a way your mermaid friend or lover can hand you a kelp..

I believe in a live-stream they mentioned your sim has to eat it 3 times to turn.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited June 2019
    Then go into the water.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    graventhe wrote: »

I believe in a live-stream they mentioned your sim has to eat it 3 times to turn.

Just once for a human to turn into merfolk, but only after they enter the water (ocean), if merfolk eat it twice, it will turn them back into a human.
  • Options
    minimochiminimochi Posts: 4 New Member
    > @LaBlue0314 said:
    > Just once for a human to turn into merfolk, but only after they enter the water (ocean), if merfolk eat it twice, it will turn them back into a human.

My sims ate mermaid kelp and it did not turn him into a mermaid. I'm not sure why. It did not prompt any moodlet or weird behavior. Just, nothing happened. I ate it again the next day (sims time) and the same thing happen. I tried going into water to see if anything happen, but nothing. What's wrong?
  • Options
    KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited August 2021
    Deleted. (Didn't realise this was such an old thread).
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Options
    minimochiminimochi Posts: 4 New Member
    >
    > My sims ate mermaid kelp and it did not turn him into a mermaid. I'm not sure why. It did not prompt any moodlet or weird behavior. Just, nothing happened. I ate it again the next day (sims time) and the same thing happen. I tried going into water to see if anything happen, but nothing. What's wrong?

I just want to update. I found the reason why.

With the new update, you can now select your sims preference of likes and dislikes. Separated into 3 categories. In "activity", If you have "gardening" select to dislike, your sims will find eating veggie produce gross. Hence, it will not prompt the moodlet telling you about answering the call to the ocean (this is your que to transform into mermaid).

After, deselecting dislike to gardening (I let it be neutral), my sims ate the mermaid kelp and it triggered the moodlet to appear. I now have a mermaid sim :smile:

I'm not sure if there are other reasons as to why, but for me this works. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Yeah, this was always a glitch that was never fixed, unfortunately. Oh well. :'(