August 16 - Ready for the Friday Highlight? Check it out here!
August 16 - Guru Garage day! SimGurus are ready to continue with the Guru Games - details here!
August 15 - We have updated the forum rules. Learn more here.

Off the grid and icky plumbing

So, my sim is living on an off the grid lot and has a sink that can be used off the grid. The sink is now dirty but the option to clean it is greyed out because of the off the grid lot trait. Is there a way to clean off the grid plumbing or are you eventually destined to have icky plumbing.
I like the limitations on the plumbing but I wish they would patch in a rain barrel for those who have seasons. Also a more realistic toilet option (others have mentioned this) like a bucket.
19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr

Comments

  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 14,044 Member
    treece01 wrote: »
    So, my sim is living on an off the grid lot and has a sink that can be used off the grid. The sink is now dirty but the option to clean it is greyed out because of the off the grid lot trait. Is there a way to clean off the grid plumbing or are you eventually destined to have icky plumbing.
    I like the limitations on the plumbing but I wish they would patch in a rain barrel for those who have seasons. Also a more realistic toilet option (others have mentioned this) like a bucket.

    It should be a privy hole, you know an outhouse. I can't think of any reason, though, that we shouldn't be able to clean the plumbing. That's just gross on so many different levels. Ick. Glad I read this before I sent my favorite Sim to live there.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MarvinKoshMarvinKosh Posts: 19 Member
    You can upgrade the object to be self-cleaning.

    Uh, how exactly that works, I don't know, but it works. :smiley:
  • treece01treece01 Posts: 995 Member
    edited June 24
    MarvinKosh wrote: »
    You can upgrade the object to be self-cleaning.

    Uh, how exactly that works, I don't know, but it works. :smiley:

    Lol... didn't even occur to me... thanks.!
    Yeah, apparently you can't clean it with the brackish water but with limited plumbing and no electricity your sim can rig it to clean itself. :p Maybe the sims come up with some kind of Gilligan's island perpetual motion contraption.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 466 Member
    edited June 24
    treece01 wrote: »
    MarvinKosh wrote: »
    You can upgrade the object to be self-cleaning.

    Uh, how exactly that works, I don't know, but it works. :smiley:

    Lol... didn't even occur to me... thanks.!
    Yeah, apparently you can't clean it with the brackish water but with limited plumbing and no electricity your sim can rig it to clean itself. :p Maybe the sims come up with some kind of Gilligan's island perpetual motion contraption.

    Actually if you had high handiness and logic that would be a fantastic option. Have your sims invent better ways to live off the grid. Honestly, living off the grid shouldn't be icky. I hope we get solar panels and other items soon. As for no cell phone that is nuts as you still can use a cell phone without power, you charge it away or with solar chargers.

    Edited to correct a typo which make a big difference in how I view off the grid.
    Post edited by verlainem on
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • treece01treece01 Posts: 995 Member
    treece01 wrote: »
    So, my sim is living on an off the grid lot and has a sink that can be used off the grid. The sink is now dirty but the option to clean it is greyed out because of the off the grid lot trait. Is there a way to clean off the grid plumbing or are you eventually destined to have icky plumbing.
    I like the limitations on the plumbing but I wish they would patch in a rain barrel for those who have seasons. Also a more realistic toilet option (others have mentioned this) like a bucket.

    It should be a privy hole, you know an outhouse. I can't think of any reason, though, that we shouldn't be able to clean the plumbing. That's just gross on so many different levels. Ick. Glad I read this before I sent my favorite Sim to live there.

    I know this is probably a really weird/stupid thing to want as much as I do... but I would love a privy hole. :D
    In my defense, I have a whole rags to riches save game, a "medieval" save and plan on a Robinson Caruso (sp?) Type thing.
    Pee bushes are ok but out houses always remind me of my grandfather's cabin and make me nostalgic.
    I build a lot of out houses but can never get them exactly how I want.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 802 Member
    edited June 24
    It seems unnatural to me to see a modern looking functioning toilet on an off the grid lot. I think I will just have my sims pee in bushes until they add an appropriate looking toilet. :D
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 714 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    It seems unnatural to me to see a modern looking functioning toilet on an off the grid lot. I think I will just have my sims pee in bushes until they add an appropriate looking toilet. :D

    Same. A more appropriate toilet for off the grid would be appreciated.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • treece01treece01 Posts: 995 Member
    verlainem wrote: »
    treece01 wrote: »
    MarvinKosh wrote: »
    You can upgrade the object to be self-cleaning.

    Uh, how exactly that works, I don't know, but it works. :smiley:

    Lol... didn't even occur to me... thanks.!
    Yeah, apparently you can't clean it with the brackish water but with limited plumbing and no electricity your sim can rig it to clean itself. :p Maybe the sims come up with some kind of Gilligan's island perpetual motion contraption.

    Actually if you had high handiness and logic that would be a fantastic option. Have your sims invent better ways to live off the grid. Honestly, living off the grid should be icky. I hope we get solar panels and other items soon. As for no cell phone that is nuts as you still can use a cell phone without power, you charge it away or with solar chargers.

    I think it'd be cool if there was kind of a conservationist sim trait (not like slob) that gave sim's positive buffs for "sacrificing" comfort for the earth... in addition to cleaning up etc. I wonder if snob sims get negative buffs on off the grid lots.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 800 Member
    There's a CC one at Mod The Sims that I've been meaning to download.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 1,900 Member
    I think this is a known bug. I’ve read reports about it happening to others.
    4p7s6oo.jpg
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 466 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    It seems unnatural to me to see a modern looking functioning toilet on an off the grid lot. I think I will just have my sims pee in bushes until they add an appropriate looking toilet. :D

    You could imagine that they are composting toilets, they look very similar to actual toilets.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 3,233 Member
    Well, it seems whoever came up with the lot trait at Maxis didn't think it thru. At all.
    Or forgot that things get dirty (is that person playing with "always clean" mods?)

    As it works now you have to either remove the lot trait and pretend that it's there, OR mod the game so you can actually clean your dirty sinks and toilets.

    In theory you can always upgrade everything to Self Cleaning, but since you can't order any parts you have to rely on fishing to randomly find the parts you need. And if you, like me, play with the Child of The Ocean trait, there will be no fishing.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top