Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't crack open lava rocks

I've had several fall on my sim's lot. She can't crack any of them open. The interaction is avaiable and she'll walk a little way toward them and then do the "I can't get there" wave like there's a routing problem. Opening the lot to edit it, I can't move them unless she makes them decorative (tried that with one and was able to move it, the break open interaction was still there but she still couldn't do it) and there's absolutely nothing surrounding them and no reason she shouldn't be able to reach the rocks to break them open.
moxiegraphix on Origin

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    Is this happening without mods/CC installed?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    Is this happening without mods/CC installed?

As someone who has played since TS1, that should have been the first thing I checked. So, naturally, it wasn't.

Time to track down which mod is causing it. Fortunately, I hadn't put all my mods back in so it shouldn't take long. LOL
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    jadedjae8jadedjae8 Posts: 1 New Member
    I have no mods installed whatsoever (nor have I at any time) and I also have this issue with my Sim.
  • Options
    awaitkateawaitkate Posts: 2 New Member
    I am also having this problem. The first rock was opened fine, but a few others have fallen and nothing is getting them to work.
  • Options
    dino-zombiedino-zombie Posts: 1 New Member
    This is also happening to me, no mods on either. The Rock also is called "Lava rock place holder name" so I kinda wonder if this is an unfinished part of the new expansion?
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited June 2019
    i had this problem as well, but it seems that having your sim go to another lot and then return home lets you crack the rocks open. they might be still listed as 'too hot' for it until you swap lots or something

figured i'd add a few screenshots in:
    sim cracking one (of four) lava boulders open:
    8bac5a747154fc7e0db4a3d44af6172c.jpg
    the cloud of ash when a boulder breaks:
    a8e8a65a2ef8a5a89fb514cf299a0773.png
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    I wasn't able to trace it to a mod but, it worked after reloading my game so, there's that, too.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    Out16Out16 Posts: 51 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    i had this problem as well, but it seems that having your sim go to another lot and then return home lets you crack the rocks open. they might be still listed as 'too hot' for it until you swap lots or something

figured i'd add a few screenshots in:
    sim cracking one (of four) lava boulders open:
    8bac5a747154fc7e0db4a3d44af6172c.jpg
    the cloud of ash when a boulder breaks:
    a8e8a65a2ef8a5a89fb514cf299a0773.png

I tried that for mine and it ended up deleting the rocks when they returned home lol. I updated all my mods, so I don't think it could be mod related for me as well. I will try to reload my game when it happens again like what Elisabetta said worked for her.
  • Options
    did you set the rocks as decorative before you left the lot?

i'd always been doing that and then going into build mode to move them (some indoors, some as a sort of fence along one lot wall) waiting for them to get fixed, then i noticed after my sim went to dinner at a restaurant that the rocks were breakable like they're supposed to be from the start

also, it's absolutely not mod-related. i really do think it has something to do with the 'on fire' period, possibly when it cools off it doesn't actually flag itself as cooled off, so the break interaction thinks it's still too hot or something
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm going to tag @SimGuruNick on this -- folks might want to post this over at AHQ ( https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-reported-Gameplay-Issues/td-p/3445209 ).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Out16Out16 Posts: 51 Member
    did you set the rocks as decorative before you left the lot?

i'd always been doing that and then going into build mode to move them (some indoors, some as a sort of fence along one lot wall) waiting for them to get fixed, then i noticed after my sim went to dinner at a restaurant that the rocks were breakable like they're supposed to be from the start

also, it's absolutely not mod-related. i really do think it has something to do with the 'on fire' period, possibly when it cools off it doesn't actually flag itself as cooled off, so the break interaction thinks it's still too hot or something

I did not because I wasn't sure if you would be able to still break them open or not. I'm restarting my game up because my sim is also not wanting to pick up the trash along the beach, getting that same issue as if they can't get over there. I have the volcano lot trait so I just need to wait till I get another eruption that brings them to try again.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    i had a similar issue with the piles of stuff right outside the sulfur pool (down at the base of the volcano). got route fail errors a few times, but tried the next sim day and could go clean them up. weird stuff

also, it seems the sulani elementals can cause lava boulders, too. that really caught me offguard. had one of my sims with the child of the islands trait summon the elementals then offer them and the rest of the household kava, that got him judged favorably, had both him and the elemental that judged him go playful. then the elemental summoned fire between its hands, shot it up into the sky and a boulder dropped into the yard outside. was absolutely not expecting that
  • Options
    anairamakanairamak Posts: 1 New Member
    Ive figured out a way... if you use cheat codes just do that random cheat "set as head" and then your sims head will turn into a gigantic lava rock and then you could crack it open. but the original lava rock won't open, just the one you set as your head.
  • Options
    112061112061 Posts: 273 Member
    where are the lava rocks?
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,898 Member
    edited July 2019
    i had a similar issue with the piles of stuff right outside the sulfur pool (down at the base of the volcano). got route fail errors a few times, but tried the next sim day and could go clean them up. weird stuff

This is many times caused by npc conservationists wanting to take samples from the sulfur piles. Apparently they constantly do this with those piles and the waterfall, as I saw when I started playing the Kealoha house in one of my saves. Makoa had 99+ samples in his inventory :#

112061 wrote: »
    where are the lava rocks?

They have a chance to fall on lots with the Volcanic Activity lot trait
  • Options
    @112061 as kathykins mentioned, they can fall on lots with the 'volcanic activity' lot trait, but also sims with the 'sulani mana' hidden/reward trait can summon one every few hours (by default, only the island elementals/ancestors created when a sim with 'child of the islands' summons them have this trait, but they can reward it to sims with the 'child of the islands' trait if said sim does enough to appease them quite a bit...which is mostly helping both the islands themselves and the island community... and kids of any sim (including the elementals, if you invite them into the family!) with the trait can inherit the trait, too)
  • Options
    112061112061 Posts: 273 Member
    Thank you!