Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does Sims 4 have better textures on the PS4 Pro vs the PS4?

Does Myshuno City look better on the PS4 Pro?

On PS4 its blurry.

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I have a pro, my niece has a standard console. I think it looks better in the pro. According to this article better textures was one of the things the pro and the x box one x got. I remember it in the patch notes but I can’t remember which month it was.

https://simscommunity.info/2018/09/06/the-sims-4-console-new-update-brings-visual-improvements-for-xbox-one-x-and-ps4-pro/
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    edited April 2019
    It's the post processing effect, on pc you can tick it off. It handles global illumination and depth of field and it's a high quality effect and both base and pro consoles have it enabled :)
    Only difference between pro and base consoles are sim quality and frame rate, everything else is the same.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    sikasika18 wrote: »
    It's the post processing effect, on pc you can tick it off. It handles global illumination and depth of field and it's a high quality effect and both base and pro consoles have it enabled :)
    Only difference between pro and base consoles are sim quality and frame rate, everything else is the same.

How are those different?
  • Options

How are those different?

The simquality on base consoles are set to high and don't use uncompressed textures while the x and pro use very high and uncompressed textures. This setting is the most demanding one on the pc so it's no surprise. They patched in the better textures a while back on the pro and X.
  • Options
    StevieJohn88StevieJohn88 Posts: 181 Member

How are those different?

The simquality on base consoles are set to high and don't use uncompressed textures while the x and pro use very high and uncompressed textures. This setting is the most demanding one on the pc so it's no surprise. They patched in the better textures a while back on the pro and X.

Objects still need a tweek though
  • Options
    I'm really surprised at the price of PS4 Pros. Their $399 and up. Way too high.
  • Options
    vyvexthornevyvexthorne Posts: 66 Member
    Yeah both the ps4 pro and xbox one x are still outrageously priced.. If new consoles are truly coming out in the next couple years then it's not worth it to buy either the pro or x. Just keep on using your old systems and save up for the new consoles.
  • Options

How are those different?

Objects still need a tweek though

You might be right about that as I did take a closer look today at objects and the textures on them and indeed they too look a bit blurred. The sims 4 is very heavy on the CPU and don't need a beast of a GPU at all to run decent but the CPU in all consoles are very very weak so the blame lies there.
  • Options
    Yeah both the ps4 pro and xbox one x are still outrageously priced.. If new consoles are truly coming out in the next couple years then it's not worth it to buy either the pro or x. Just keep on using your old systems and save up for the new consoles.

Problem is the PS5 most likely won't be backward compatible and I don't think Maxis intends on releasing The Sims 4 on a new platform. Same with Xbox.
  • Options
    The thing about Ultra on PC is you need to turn off post processing effects to eliminate the blur of the distance meaning even on PC ultra has blurry backgrounds. I've found when you turn processing off it switches to custom but the high graphics on my card stay high on custom plus the background Is no longer blurry. Ultra improves objects that are close not far like the city lights of Del Sol Valley and Myshuno.
  • Options
    The thing about Ultra on PC is you need to turn off post processing effects to eliminate the blur of the distance meaning even on PC ultra has blurry backgrounds. I've found when you turn processing off it switches to custom but the high graphics on my card stay high on custom plus the background Is no longer blurry. Ultra improves objects that are close not far like the city lights of Del Sol Valley and Myshuno.

It's a matter of taste, I would consider the distant blur a positive for the visuals. It's a high end effect and most games has a form of this in one way or another. The sims 4 uses it to an advantage to hide the ugly and flat backdrops and to me that's necessary because without the blur the you'll see the "fakeness" of it all.
    It also introduces light shafts from the sun which is a huge deal too imo.
    But it's nice to have the options to tweak our games and it would be better for everyone if we could at least get 2 presets on consoles "performance" and "visuals" and the performance option would obviously have such effects disabled for better frame rate.