The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get to Work - My Dilemma

Ok guys i have been wanting GTW forever. I have been so hesitant because of the aliens. I have been trying to read up on the situation, and a lot of older threads, I’m not sure if they are relevant anymore since EA updated GTW and minimized the amount of aliens. It seems every lot on the gallery i want uses GTW items, and i really want them! I want everything about the expansion except aliens. I don’t want them in my gameplay at all. I have read about the settings in MCCC and the satellite dish. So what should I do? Is there a way to avoid or really lower the chances of aliens in this pack? What are your experiences?
7He4osW.png?1
Check out my 1920s homes on the gallery: Vanderhoot13

Comments

• Options
    LinzzLinzz Posts: 323 Member
    Well I had GTW for a long time and I hardly see any aliens in my game anymore. Once in a while I run into one that's in disguise but it's not a big deal. If you have a satellite dish on your lot or a telescope (I think?) it attracts more aliens in your town and more abductions. Other than that it's not a problem like it used to be. I haven't even seen any aliens spawn in my town in a long time to think of it. I used to just go into manage households and delete a bunch of them cause I hated having so many but I haven't had to do that in a long while.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Linzz wrote: »
    Well I had GTW for a long time and I hardly see any aliens in my game anymore. Once in a while I run into one that's in disguise but it's not a big deal. If you have a satellite dish on your lot or a telescope (I think?) it attracts more aliens in your town and more abductions. Other than that it's not a problem like it used to be. I haven't even seen any aliens spawn in my town in a long time to think of it. I used to just go into manage households and delete a bunch of them cause I hated having so many but I haven't had to do that in a long while.

You can set the dish to bar abductions IIRC, or to Welcome Aliens. And with MCCC you can both set for low/no abductions or to force aliens into human disguise. They're actually pretty innocuous -- maybe one will use their brain power autonomously once in a long while. I witnessed a Sim freeze to death in San Myshuno and I was surprised to find he was an alien.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2019
    I don’t like aliens or vampires so I use MCCC to disable them both. This way, I get all of the objects, CAS items, and worlds from the packs WITHOUT the supernaturals. So yes, it’s definitely possible because I’ve yet to see either in my gameplay and it’s fantastic! There’s an option within the mod where it asks the number of them you want in your town and I have mine set to the lowest which is 0 or -1, can’t remember exactly but this prevents new ones from being generated in the game.

(Actually, in addition to MCCC I have 2-3 other mods to keep vampires out of my game and I believe I found them all on ModTheSims.com. I didn’t need any additional mods to stop the aliens.)
  • Options
    AddamsFamilyAddamsFamily Posts: 151 Member
    Just curious makes you not not vampires or aliens?
  • Options
    VanderhootVanderhoot Posts: 192 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I don’t like aliens or vampires so I use MCCC to disable them both. This way, I get all of the objects, CAS items, and worlds from the packs WITHOUT the supernaturals. So yes, it’s definitely possible because I’ve yet to see either in my gameplay and it’s fantastic! There’s an option within the mod where it asks the number of them you want in your town and I have mine set to the lowest which is 0 or -1, can’t remember exactly but this prevents new ones from being generated in the game.

(Actually, in addition to MCCC I have 2-3 other mods to keep vampires out of my game and I believe I found them all on ModTheSims.com. I didn’t need any additional mods to stop the aliens.)

Glad to hear this works well for you and you’re in the same boat as me with the aliens! I also would like the Vampire build mode items, so maybe I’ll do that too. However the GTW items are way more used than the Vampire ones.

7He4osW.png?1
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited March 2019
    Honestly so long as you don’t go into the bars on Alien Night (if you have Get Together) your chance of actually running into an alien in the wild if you’re not playing the Science Career is pretty slim. I’ve only come across one hidden alien in my time of playing the game and that was years ago. And the only non-science career abductions I’ve had is after my sims have gotten into a relationship with an alien and/or had a baby with them. It varies for everyone but I think the chance is pretty remote these days. They’re definitely not as intrusive as Vamps unless you go to the bar night and have the game spawn a bunch of them. Once they’re spawned from alien night they wander around neighborhoods and show up on lots like any townie in the pool. Though if it happens you can go into Manage Sims and delete them.

As for the Science career it’s def harder to avoid them if you have a sim in the career because it’s designed around them. You can use the dish to stop abductions but unless you’re using a mod to stop them from spawning at all you’re going to get a few of them to spawn for the career.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,919 Member
    Aliens need be no problem in GTW if you don't want to use them. I deleted all the aliens in the Family bin, never had a Sims abducted (wouldn't have minded though), haven't been to Sixam either. They do tend to turn up in bars though. Just use the mods as above because GTW can be great to play.

But.....I have GTW and just ignored the aliens but now have downloaded those Sims 2 families from Strangetown (Nervous Subject etc.) after buying StrangerVille and both families are busy building their own spaceship to get away from Mother. They add a lot to the storyline of StrangerVille for me.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2019
    Just curious makes you not not vampires or aliens?

I despise things in game that stray too far from reality. The other things in the game that aren’t very realistic (like emotional deaths) I find funny but I have no desire to actually play or be visited by or marry a vampire or alien. I don’t even use any of those bizarre skin tones like red or blue that they added.

Back when I played TS3 I loved that we could just tick them off in the options pane and that’s exactly what I did. Zombies who? Werewolves where? Not on my watch! Lol
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 974 Member
    Frankly, I think you should not buy Get to Work, if you don't like aliens.

Going to work with sims is fun for a while, but after a few sim days, abduction by aliens is about the most interesting part of that pack.
    At least I tend to send the sims alone at work after a few days,
  • Options
    @BoergeAarg61 i definitely see where you are coming from. I don’t do much with the expansions i have in terms of functionality, but i like having access to the build and CAS items. I also would really like to open a store, and have access to the hobbies in GTW.
    7He4osW.png?1
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    If you're in the science career or an alien lives on the lot you may experience abductions but honestly the chance was so low when I was recently playing I installed mccommand to make it happen :/ I'm pretty sure there is a setting to prevent alien abductions and a button to "humanize" occults.
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,722 Member
    I had GTW since release, and I hardly ran into any aliens at all. I've not played the science career all through, though. One day every week there is alien nights in the bars. I discovered that only a few months ago, guess I did not frequent those bars often enough, lol. When I decided that one of my single females should have an alien baby, I actually had no idea how to find aliens... The baby was born, but there isn't any more aliens about. I guess if you just ignore them, they will not invade your town.

Agree there are lots of cool objects in that pack, I use them all the time, especially good for community lots.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Alien Night came with Get Together. It happens once a week on Tuesday's. If you're there when it starts the game will start generating aliens until there's a handful of them there. I usually will see them wandering around on public lots and in my neighborhoods after that. The only way to have a female sim have a full alien baby without cheats is for them to be an alien and have an alien partner.

For those that might be curious (or want to avoid them) here are the other bar nights:
    Happy Hour (Everyday) – Drinks are discounted by 50% for everyone.

• Bear’s Night (Monday) – Requires the Outdoor Retreat Game Pack. Drinks are discounted 50% for Bears Only.

• Alien Night (Tuesday) – Requires the Get To Work Expansion Pack. Drinks are discounted 25% for Aliens only.

• Ghost Nights (Wednesday) – Drinks are discounted 25% for Ghosts only.

• Knight Nights (Thursday) – Requires the Knight Outfit. Drinks are discounted 50% for Knights only.

• Ladies Nights (Friday) – Drinks are discounted 25% for Ladies only.

• Singles Nights (Saturday) – Drinks are discounted 25% for singles only.

• Guys Nights (Sunday) – Drinks are discounted 25% for Guys only

The only ones to really look out for are Alien Night and Ghost night because those will spawn aliens and ghosts which might then wander about the town. Bear Night and Knight Nights have the costumes but they'll either be townies already in the game or new ones will spawn but outside of the nights they won't be wearing the costumes.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    I hardly ever see aliens in my game. If your sim happens to get pregnant from an abduction, you can send the kid(s) back to their homeworld when they're babies. The option disappears once they become toddlers, though.

It actually got the point where I had to send one of my aliens to Sixam to find an alien partner to marry because I couldn't find any the normal way.

You can also use MCCC to turn off alien nights at the bar if you want.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Options
    MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 102 Member
    I think Get to Work is definitely worth the careers, build/buy/CAS, etc! It's one of my favorite packs. I know it's different for everyone, and that there are mods to disable aliens, but I've literally never noticed an alien besides at Alien Night at the bars haha. In years of playing the pack, no aliens! I say get the pack :)
    I completely forgot they existed. Or do they exist............
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I have read that turning off Alien Night only cancels the notification, but if you go to a bar on a Tuesday night, it is still happening...true?
    7He4osW.png?1