Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help

Hi. I had to reset my laptop and I have reinstalled the sims 3. I have to put it on D Drive as C is my SSD and its not big enough. I put my downloads folder and documents folder and stuff in D too. Anyway after installation, the EA stuff didn't go into the documents folder. I moved it into there but it just keeps regenerating a new file so I have too. I need it in documents because of my mods. Any ideas what I should do please? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2019
    The procedure here is not to move the Documents folder to D or to move the TS3 user game folder. It's to instruct Windows as to where your Documents folder should reside. If the user Documents folder is already set to be on D in its entirety, then that is what the game should use. Is this what you have done at the Windows level?
    igazor wrote: »
    It shouldn't matter which drive your Documents folder really resides on, but if you are out of or tight on space on the SSD, it would be best to redirect your entire Documents folder to the HDD.
    http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10
    (sorry for the "dummies" link, but they do a good job of describing and illustrating this)

The above is for Win 10, but the concept and procedures are almost the same for all versions.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Lilia1971Lilia1971 Posts: 391 Member
    Hi. Yes I’ve done that & ive put origin and sims in d drive but the ea file doesn’t go into the documents folder and when I move it, it regenerated out of it again.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2019
    Lilia1971 wrote: »
    Hi. Yes I’ve done that & ive put origin and sims in d drive but the ea file doesn’t go into the documents folder and when I move it, it regenerated out of it again.
    Just to clarify then, not thinking about the game or any of its components, if you open Windows Explorer and navigate to your Documents library, or save let's say a text or Word document to Documents, does it not land on D where you have instructed Windows that it should be?

If so and the game is not honoring that setup, that's very unusual. It doesn't matter on which drive the game and Origin are installed, the game folder will always try to spawn and be read from Documents. What we want here is for Documents itself, in its entirety, to be on D. Is it by any chance trying to use a game folder in OneDrive?

You can't just move the user game folder as the game will then be unable to find it, moving the folder around is for making copies and for when we expect the game to spawn a new one on its next launch.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Hi. I think it’s to do with OneDrive. I thought I’d disabled it but the documents folder was still there. Im trying to get rid of it and will then start again. Thanks.
  • Options
    Ok. I uninstalled OneDrive then started again. I left the documents in C and installed the game on d. Everything was ok. I then transferred the document file to d via properties and then it went wrong again and EA file was on its own not inside documents. I’m then unable to transfer the documents back to c. I’m having to reset the laptop again just to get back to the start. I don’t understand why it’s doing this.
  • Options
    Ignore previous post. I have sorted it now. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    BailsBails Posts: 3 New Member
    My problem is that all the files I try to download are internet files and when I try to download the Resource.cfg file just download as Resource with the internet icon, please help, I have tried so many time, looked on so many websites, watched so many videos and I don't know what to do