Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I find the urn/tombstone of deceased sims?

This is getting annoying. Yuki Behr died and I wanted to collect her urn like her sister, but I cannot find it anywhere and it's not on their former home lot. This is getting annoying.

Comments

• Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Don't ghosts keep their tombstones in their inventory? If you can find her ghost & add it to the household, you can see if she has it.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    GwastenMicaGwastenMica Posts: 76 Member
    If you have the show_sims_info mod you can click on the deceased photo and it will tell you where Yuki is, which in this case would be her urn.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    If you have the show_sims_info mod you can click on the deceased photo and it will tell you where Yuki is, which in this case would be her urn.

Thanks @GwastenMica I've been wondering about this, too. In one case the ghost is still haunting their home lot, but even if I know where the ghost hides in the morning, I can't locate the urn. Wondering if it's stuck between floors, like sims sometimes can be.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    FreakAboutSimsFreakAboutSims Posts: 795 Member

What will tell me her location?

How is this suppose to help me find her grave?
    OSNjMaL.png
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I believe that unplayed household sims do not leave an urn when they die. I found a possible workaround
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NOT-BUG-Sim-dies-while-I-m-not-playing-the-family-now-I-can-t/td-p/3711545
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    sunblond wrote: »
    I believe that unplayed household sims do not leave an urn when they die. I found a possible workaround
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NOT-BUG-Sim-dies-while-I-m-not-playing-the-family-now-I-can-t/td-p/3711545

They do, I have the urns for the Goths and Candy Behr and I'm not controlling them.

It's literally a hunt since I think the urns drop where the sims drop. Candy's urn was on the edges of her lot, but Yuki's isn't anywhere on the lot.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    They do, I have the urns for the Goths and Candy Behr and I'm not controlling them.

It's literally a hunt since I think the urns drop where the sims drop. Candy's urn was on the edges of her lot, but Yuki's isn't anywhere on the lot.

There is a difference between "active" sim households and "played" sim households. The former are the sims you are currently controlling and their household. The latter are any households that you have ever played, or marked as played in any way. I think that @sunblond is correct that sims that are not flagged as played do not drop an urn/tombstone unless you have an active sim in the immediate area when they die.

It is confirmed as true by a guru in this thread, unless it was changed in a patch since then. I certainly have never found urns for unplayed sims that didn't die when I had active sims around.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Stormkeep wrote: »

There is a difference between "active" sim households and "played" sim households. The former are the sims you are currently controlling and their household. The latter are any households that you have ever played, or marked as played in any way. I think that @sunblond is correct that sims that are not flagged as played do not drop an urn/tombstone unless you have an active sim in the immediate area when they die.

It is confirmed as true by a guru in this thread, unless it was changed in a patch since then. I certainly have never found urns for unplayed sims that didn't die when I had active sims around.

The only ghost sim I have in my game that is a part of my household is Candy. That's after I went over to their household to fetch their urn. The Goths, whose urns I have acquired are not in my household. So I went back to the former Behr residence to see if there was another urn for Yuki and there wasn't.

Here's an image of my underground Goth mausoleum with the UI interface on so you could see that they're not a part of the active household.

NUbPtew.png

Oh and here's Mortimer's ghost just chilling around the facility.

ZqbIzxa.jpg

And I ended up first acquiring Mortimer's tombstone for some reason when my sim wasn't even friends or good friends with him. It just appeared in his inventory.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I get that they aren't in your active household and you got urns, @FreakAboutSims, but are you sure they weren't tagged as 'played' despite not being in the active household? That tag can be on a household without you ever actually controlling the sims in question through a couple of different means.

That and there is the distinction of whether you had an active sim nearby when they died, which could happen without you being aware. I've had NPC sims die on commercial lots when my active sim(s) where in that neighborhood, but not present in the immediate area. Urns did drop for those unplayed Sims.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    I only played one household on this game save. The only time I played the Goth household was when I entered their household long after the three died to where only Alexander was the only resident. No, my sim was not present when they did, and for even weirder results I got the another tombstone of a townie which my sim friended. Given how this game tends to be a buggy piece of crap at times this could just be some weird glitches. Not sure if he was a townie or not, but his name was Baako Jang.
  • Options
    X_SparkerX_Sparker Posts: 1 New Member
    So I have had both situations happen to me. I have 2 sons that got old enough so I moved them out into a house in Willow Creek. The mother's household is the active household that I play most normally, and I have not played these two sons ever since I moved them out and got each of them their own jobs, although they are marked as a "played" (but not active) household in my Manage World screen.

Eventually, older son dies of old age while I was playing mom's household. I get a notification in my active household and everybody gets the 2 day sad moodlet. I bring the whole active household to his house in Willow Creek. The younger brother who also lived in the house and is still alive lets them in, and voila! There is older son's urn in the house on the ground. Great! I have them all mourn, then put the urn in a room on a dresser.

Fast forward a couple sim weeks, now younger brother dies of old age, again while I'm not playing him. I get the notification in my active household again, same thing with the sad moodlets. I figured I'd do the same thing again, visit the house and mourn at the urn, and while I'm at it just collect all the urns off the lot completely to build a cemetery somewhere else. I take the mother to the house in Willow Creek (now empty with no household living there), but I can't find younger brother's urn anywhere on the lot! Older brother's urn is still in the room, same as before, but younger brother's urn is nowhere to be found. I thought the only possible explanation is that he was out in town elsewhere in the world, instead of on his home lot when he died. Which means his urn/grave is somewhere out in the vast world or even completely missing and it would be impossible/impractical for me to search for it. I did not think to check the household inventory in build mode. Ultimately, I resorted to cheats and MC command center mod to get his grave:

1. Using the get simID cheat, I summoned his ghost to my active household using his simID ("sims.get_sim_id_by_name firstname lastname" and "sims.summon_sim_to_zone simID")
    2. With cheats enabled, I shift click on his ghost and added him back to my active household. Also I checked his inventory at this point and there was definitely no urn there.
    3. With his ghost selected/playing as active sim, I revived him temporarily using the "traits.remove_trait oldage" cheat (you may have to enable full CAS edit mode "cas.fulleditmode" and go into CAS then get out again before trying to remove the old age trait. It took me a few tries for some reason as the first 10 minutes of trying to use "remove trait" didn't work). He becomes solid and colorful and alive again.
    4. I then kill him again with the MC command center mod (also through old age, just to keep the consistency). Some people say if you don't want to use MC mod, you can use the add buff cheat, but some people also say that the Gurus removed the add buff cheat codes at one of the update patches, so I don't know if that works or not.
    5. The death process/animation runs, Grim Reaper comes to take his life, and he is dead again. His ghost is removed from the active household and a grave/urn sits where he died.

Then finally I have mom collect the urn and go plot the graves in an empty lot next to her house. I've built it out to be a nice little private family cemetery for them, I may also change the lot type to generic so no NPC would come disturbing. Now family members can come visit the cemetery and mourn/strengthen connections.

According to another thread on here (titled "Where do the dead sims go?"), an update made it so that any housed Sim would get an urn/grave in their house lot even when they are not played, and the urn/grave could be in someone's inventory or in the household inventory. That would explain why older brother's urn was so easily right there when I first visited, and it was also possible that second brother's urn was in the household inventory but I didn't check. I can go check it tonight when I go home, but I'm not sure it'll be there as I've already retrieved it again by reviving and killing him once more. But either way, if you can't find a dead sim's urn/grave on their house lot, you can use cheats and mod to retrieve it, as long as you're ok with using cheats.

TL;DR - check dead sim's house lot first for the urn/grave, check household inventory next, if all else fails, revive and rekill to get urn/grave.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member

I wasn't playing the Landgraab household when Geoffrey burned to death at home there was an urn and my sim was able to strengthen the connection. In a different saved game, when Nancy Landgraab died of old age my sims were present on the lot, but her urn was at the house and my sims were able to strengthen the connection

In my game my sim will get notifications of sims they know who have died, many I didn't know they knew and don't care about, sometimes I will get seven notifications in a row about a sims death. When I go to their home lot I can't find the urn. The notifications should tell us where to go to find the urn so we can strengthen their connection, or don't notify us at all.

Sometimes I find the urn, but most times I don't because the sim was probably walking about somewhere and dropped dead. And this has occured across multiple saved games. Some sims I want to strengthen and have them haunt a house and some I don't. In TS3 all graves went to the mauseluem if they weren't in the controlled household. I wish TS4 had that same thing, even if it was only one mauseluem lot for all of the worlds. Then you could choose which ghosts stayed on and which passed on.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    mordarlarmordarlar Posts: 38 Member
    I always just bring them back to life with mccc and then kill them in the presence of a playable. It's tedious but i love a historical cemetery.
  • Options
    troshalom wrote: »

I wasn't playing the Landgraab household when Geoffrey burned to death at home there was an urn and my sim was able to strengthen the connection. In a different saved game, when Nancy Landgraab died of old age my sims were present on the lot, but her urn was at the house and my sims were able to strengthen the connection

In my game my sim will get notifications of sims they know who have died, many I didn't know they knew and don't care about, sometimes I will get seven notifications in a row about a sims death. When I go to their home lot I can't find the urn. The notifications should tell us where to go to find the urn so we can strengthen their connection, or don't notify us at all.

Sometimes I find the urn, but most times I don't because the sim was probably walking about somewhere and dropped dead. And this has occured across multiple saved games. Some sims I want to strengthen and have them haunt a house and some I don't. In TS3 all graves went to the mauseluem if they weren't in the controlled household. I wish TS4 had that same thing, even if it was only one mauseluem lot for all of the worlds. Then you could choose which ghosts stayed on and which passed on.

How do you find the urns in-between areas that you don't have access to when entering build/buy mode?
  • Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    this is a big problem. i like to keep my family tree intact, so any relevant sims need to be collected and added to the family plot. but sometimes a relative im not currently playing dies somewhere and i can never find them. i usually keep my close relations in a house nearby my legacy home, but even this has backfired a few times. sometimes the game moves sims around and then i have no idea where they died. the only fix i have really found is to add the ghost to my household and bring them back to life and kill them again. which seems kinda messed up lol. i hope EA fixes this at some point cause its irritating
  • Options
    gladlypantsgladlypants Posts: 122 Member
    I use the mod by LittleMsSam called Release All The Ghosts. It's a god-send (as a lot of her small mods are) for my cemetary where I keep a lot of my original townie family founders and my favorite Sims who have died. You only need an urn or tombstone (that is inhabited) to click on to use the menu, either in your inventory or on a shelf/the ground.

Scroll to the bottom of this tumblr post, it's under Random.
    TB88pBc.png
    Gallery ID: gladlypants
    favorite gallery hashtag: #redditexchange
    gladlypants.tumblr.com
  • Options
    verysickboyverysickboy Posts: 3 New Member
    > @FreakAboutSims said:
    > This is getting annoying. Yuki Behr died and I wanted to collect her urn like her sister, but I cannot find it anywhere and it's not on their former home lot. This is getting annoying.

YOU LET SWEET LITTLE YUKI DIE WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU???!!! >:)
  • Options
    CoreyCorey Posts: 1 New Member
    One of my sims died and I had just stop controlling the household. He was last at the graveyard but is nowhere to be found. I checked all around the house and found nothing.
  • Options
    CoffeecrumblecakeCoffeecrumblecake Posts: 6,549 Member
    Honestly, in my opinion, it gets awkward having a ghost around the house once the two-week mark passes or so, especially if it was a partner or something. Like, my sim made the decision to finally move on and have a date in the house. But nooooo~ The deceased Paulo Roca decided to crash it out of jealousy. 😂
  • Options
    EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top