Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Connect split levels, landings, window wells, basement/foundation windows, hand rail, ramps,and more

SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
edited February 2019 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I know that there are ways to get around some of the issues and connect two rooms/structures that have different heights, but it doesn't always work & it would be nice to have some tool or setting built-in to allow us to attach a garage or ground level structure to one on foundation without it trying to add foundation or mess with the roof or refuse to do it. I'm not sure exactly how it would be executed, but even if it requires a cheat code, it would be nice to not have to jump through hoops to get it done & still have mixed results.

It would also be nice to be able to have basements that extend slightly above the ground level or merge the foundation walls with the basement by removing the basement's ceiling & allowing window placement. Another feature that would help for structures that are raised up would be to have ramps (and allow users to adjust width, length, and slope like roofs). So if someone wants to have an attached garage but still have it at the same level a the rest of the house, they could have ramps.

There could be window wells that can be placed against the basement wall which dig out the space around where a window can go (can be of adjustable depth, width, and pattern). It would be really cool to be able to manipulate the terrain to have it flush against a sunken wall for homes on a hill. Digressing a bit, but one of my childhood homes was built on a hill. From the front it appeared to be a normal 2 story house with garage, but the hill sloped down along the side and down behind the house for a full story so from the back you could see all 3 stories and there was a sliding glass door at the back of the basement. Subsequent owners expanded the deck, added a gazebo, and leveled out one of the sides to have another driveway & garage (it was a corner lot). I was able to find street view pics from google maps (which I will post further down the thread).

It would also be nice if there were crawlspaces inside the foundation/under porch areas where pets could hang out with little pet doors, louvered vents, windows, etc. I did figure out how to have stairs going down to a roofless basement portion to have exterior stairs in a walled in area, but it would be nice to have more options for basement entry points including ladders, spiral stairs, angled cellar doors/hatches, etc.

Since at least one of my homes had L-shaped stairs, I would love to have landings or the ability to place stairs & floor tiles on top of half-walls & have columns the same height as half-walls. I know that people can use foundations for stairs, but it sometimes creates issues & it would be nice if it was included as a feature & not something we had to do workarounds to get. Plus, it would be nice to be able to use the space under the stairs to have bookcases, small closets, a tiny Harry Potter bedroom, half bath, etc.

Another feature that would be nice for stairs is the ability to have asymmetrical rails (apply rail to one side only & mix styles). In particular, I'd like the ability to have wall-mounted stair rails. They can be designed to match rails that mount to the steps & be placed independently.

Since I'm mentioning stairs, why not have steps/stairs for pools as well as ladders?

TL: DR?
*Attached garages/split level as a feature w/o having to jump through hoops
*Basements that aren't just complete underground dark pits
*Basement windows/window wells/foundation windows
*Ramps for porches / foundation / split levels / hills
*Cellar doors/hatches
*Ladders & spiral/curved stairs
*Foundation/crawlspace vents & crawlspaces for pets
*Landings for modular stairs / half-height columns, load-bearing half-walls
*Asymmetrical rails & wall-mount stair rails
*Pool stairs/steps

Split level house from the front:
tumblr_pn1b8fexIY1qkwd9ao3_540.png

From the side
tumblr_pn1b8fexIY1qkwd9ao2_540.png
tumblr_pn1b8fexIY1qkwd9ao1_540.png

Back (as much as it can go) Out of view is on main floor there was a sliding glass door leading out to the porch and there was a sliding glass door to the basement.
tumblr_pn1b8fexIY1qkwd9ao4_540.png
View larger

Window wells & basement/foundation windows:
tumblr_pn1cqw0Rbu1qku51so4_540.jpg
tumblr_pmzvsggVm51qku51so1_400.jpg
tumblr_pn1cqw0Rbu1qku51so1_400.jpg
tumblr_pn1cqw0Rbu1qku51so5_400.jpg
tumblr_pn1cqw0Rbu1qku51so2_540.jpg
tumblr_pn1cqw0Rbu1qku51so3_540.jpg
tumblr_pn1cqw0Rbu1qku51so6_540.jpg

Foundation/Crawlspace vents
tumblr_pn1d7bebTL1qku51so5_400.png
tumblr_pn1d7bebTL1qku51so3_400.jpg
tumblr_pn1d7bebTL1qku51so4_540.jpg
tumblr_pn1d7bebTL1qku51so1_540.jpg
tumblr_pn1d7bebTL1qku51so2_540.jpg

Ramps
tumblr_pn1dbd6WLh1qku51so4_540.jpg
tumblr_pn1dbd6WLh1qku51so3_540.jpg
tumblr_pn1dbd6WLh1qku51so2_250.jpg
tumblr_pn1dbd6WLh1qku51so1_250.jpg

Wall-mounted stair rails/bannisters
tumblr_pn1e6jlefh1qku51so2_540.jpg
tumblr_pn1e6jlefh1qku51so4_400.jpg
tumblr_pn1e6jlefh1qku51so3_500.jpg
tumblr_pn1e6jlefh1qku51so1_540.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'd love to have the option to raise basements above floor level and connected split levels! Would love to build a split level house like this.
    73401-b600.jpg
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    That's a cool looking house!
  • Options
    JamesHansenJamesHansen Posts: 3 New Member
    I know this post is a few months old, but I hope this doesn't qualify as necro-posting (or whatever it was called, I'm new to the forum format). I would definitely like to see these ideas implemented in the Sims 4, especially the split-level, attached garage, and L-shaped stairs ideas. If it's too much to include in a patch or even a series of patches perhaps these features could be included in a game or expansion pack?
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited August 2019
    Check out Kate Emerald on youtube. She has some tutorials that cover some of this. :)
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    100% Agree. It always infuriates me when I start a split level and everything goes to heck. I was able to do them a couple of months ago, but something happened, somewhere down the line, and all of a sudden I can't get them to always work right. I wept.
  • Options
    Toz91Toz91 Posts: 117 Member
    Agreed. They need split-level houses for more interesting and realistic builds. Sims 3 let you connect walls to the foundation. They should have improved on this, not gone backwards. For instance, my Aunt's house is a duplex and she has stairs that are split-level, going up to a little carpeted platform before coming up, the other way, for a carpeted second floor. I'd love it if you could have houses like this. I'm not a builder, I'm a fashionista, but I like interesting houses for my sims to live in.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've lived in split-level houses before. The street view pics of the house in my first post was a house I used to live in over 30 years ago (although it didn't have the covered landing or the side driveway-- used to just slope straight down to the back & we would ride sleds down the hill when it snowed.
    Another house I lived in had a landing with L-shaped stairs. It also had some spaces where the floor was lower for two of the first floor rooms. I even had an apartment once where there was a step down before going to the front door.

I tried the tutorials from Kate Emerald but had trouble getting things to work properly.
  • Options
    They should officially support split level houses in Sims 4! We had them in Sims 2...
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    I hope it's something they will add in a patch at some point.
  • Options
    Suceress wrote: »
    I hope it's something they will add in a patch at some point.

Yes, and curved walls as well!

maxresdefault.jpg
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Ooh, curved walls would be nice!