Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Revisiting Outdoor Retreat

So for the first time in ages I've been playing a Sim who wants to max the Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration & I'm reminded of several things that I feel are lacking in this GP. Firstly the coolers; why on earth can't we put things into them? Like the fish we catch or whatever. They seem more or less useless since all you can do with them is sit on them or get a drink/quick meal from them. When you grill food it makes eight servings but there is no way (if you are camping) that you can keep the food fresh to eat later. That seems like a big miss to me. Wondering if there's a mod that addresses this issue?

Also I hate how difficult it is to find insects, in particular, but also plants. What I wouldn't give for the TS3 reward that enabled you to see where collectibles are spawning!

This is also the first time I've visited Granite Falls since I got the Seasons pack & EVERY time I go there it buckets down with rain! There's also been huge thunderstorms, which I know I can turn off. It makes it so hard to do anything when it's so wet. Even with the waterproof reward my Sim still wants to run inside all the time!

Also is there a way to catch fire ants? My Sim is almost a level 10 herbalist but he can't catch fire ants, he just gets bitten all the time. He has a whole load of insect repellent & uses that each day but that doesn't seem to help as I was hoping it might.

Something I also noticed just recently which rather amused me; the hermit who lives in the Deep Woods (who is an erratic loner) has found himself a job - as a cop! That made me giggle a bit.

Comments

• Options
    cauliflowersimscauliflowersims Posts: 35 Member
    I also just revisted the Outdoor Retreat gamepack. For me, it was also raining almost all the time. I have no idea why that is but it is definitely annoying. I found this mod on LittleMssam's tumblr called 'Cooler are cooling'. I haven't tested it myself, but I have some of her other mods and they work great. Happy Simming.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    So for the first time in ages I've been playing a Sim who wants to max the Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration & I'm reminded of several things that I feel are lacking in this GP. Firstly the coolers; why on earth can't we put things into them? Like the fish we catch or whatever. They seem more or less useless since all you can do with them is sit on them or get a drink/quick meal from them. When you grill food it makes eight servings but there is no way (if you are camping) that you can keep the food fresh to eat later. That seems like a big miss to me. Wondering if there's a mod that addresses this issue?

Also I hate how difficult it is to find insects, in particular, but also plants. What I wouldn't give for the TS3 reward that enabled you to see where collectibles are spawning!

This is also the first time I've visited Granite Falls since I got the Seasons pack & EVERY time I go there it buckets down with rain! There's also been huge thunderstorms, which I know I can turn off. It makes it so hard to do anything when it's so wet. Even with the waterproof reward my Sim still wants to run inside all the time!

Also is there a way to catch fire ants? My Sim is almost a level 10 herbalist but he can't catch fire ants, he just gets bitten all the time. He has a whole load of insect repellent & uses that each day but that doesn't seem to help as I was hoping it might.

Something I also noticed just recently which rather amused me; the hermit who lives in the Deep Woods (who is an erratic loner) has found himself a job - as a cop! That made me giggle a bit.

I do turn thunderstorms off when I visit Granite Falls. I like them when my Sims have a nice, safe house to 'run inside', but they always camp in tents. It might be realistic to go on an out-of-doors-type holiday and end up playing cards in a hotel room while it rains and rains and rains, but that's one bit of realism I don't need in my game. (If you turn off thunderstorms, the rain won't bother your 'waterproof' Sims. It's the thunderstorm that makes them want to 'run inside'.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    grevilliabluegrevilliablue Posts: 304 Member
    I also just revisted the Outdoor Retreat gamepack. For me, it was also raining almost all the time. I have no idea why that is but it is definitely annoying. I found this mod on LittleMssam's tumblr called 'Cooler are cooling'. I haven't tested it myself, but I have some of her other mods and they work great. Happy Simming.

Thanks - I'll check that out!
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    don't forget about the 'stormchaser' reward trait that makes sims not scared of thunderstorms. that might be a good one to pair with the 'waterproof' one for outdoor enthusiasts and such

and those coolers may seem rather pointless in outdoor retreat, but they're great to have in jungle adventure when you're nowhere near a place with even a grill set up when your sims start complaining about hunger. i've also set them up in my central parks (along with a few tents) just so the 'homeless' sims spawned on them can grab food and a nap as needed

for the plants, they always spawn in the same places but summer is now the best time to go, since pretty much everything should be growing then. other seasons will have several of the granite falls plants dormant. i believe someone's made a map of both the locations each plant spawns at as well as the spawning points for each insect not too long after the pack was released

and last up, i'm surprised it's taken that long to catch fire ants. i know they and bees can both sting you if you try to catch them, but my sims have generally had a 50/50 chance of getting stung/bitten or catching. i think the clumsy ones have leaned more towards 'get hurt', but that'd make sense
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Even if you get bitten by the fire ants you should catching them when you try. Nothing else looks like the fire ants so there can be no question of what they are. They only spawn in the rental areas not in the areas surrounding the National Park or in the hidden area. I don't ever use repellent there .. usually my sims don't stay that uncomfortable or I have them take a bath/sleep it off or get other moodlets to top it. I don't always have it off but I usually turn rain/thunderstorms off in options before they go on vacation there.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Guess it definitely varies with the weather for Granite Falls and what season. Went there during the summer was mostly hot and a heatwave. Had got rain one of the days my sim was roughing it there then it went back to being hot the next day.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    edited January 2019
    I revisited Granite Falls, and done the outdoor aspiration and discovered a new tab on the notebook from the cell phone. My sim already had the herbalism skill at maximum, she knows all the receipes and have found all the plants and the insects too. I have showed a picture of it on another subject from the French Forum. No one there seems to know about this new tab one the notebook.

I don't kown how to upload pictures here, so here's the link, my ID is Melfic in there.

Please tell me if you have this too. I wonder if this is a bug or a glitch into my game, or something or what ? It's the purple/blue square with the herbalism (herboristerie in French) but there is no listing under it at all.

https://forums.thesims.com/fr_FR/discussion/comment/12741781#Comment_12741781

and yes, it's always raining there in my game.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I was curious about tent camping in the winter, so I created a new save and started with winter in Granite Falls. I discovered that when it's freezing out, Sims can hike but shouldn't do yoga, and a fast way to warm your blue Sims after ill-advised yoga is woohoo in the tent.

They're perfectly fine sleeping in a tent, and can take a shower in the tarp shower when it's freezing. So long as they're wearing their winter clothing, they're quite happy to sit at the campsite reading. I haven't had a blizzard yet - I'd imagine they'd be confined to the tent. (I'm hoping they won't try to pile up in the little toilet building I built at the site.)

You can plant spinach if the temperature is just above freezing - useful for bait if you want to do some fishing. (Fishing is only possible when it's above freezing, of course.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    grevilliabluegrevilliablue Posts: 304 Member

I downloaded the "Cooler are cooling" mod & it works perfectly! You have to place the esky in the world but once there you can open it up & put fish or plates of food in there. It all remains perfectly fresh until you get back to civilisation. You could even load it up with food cooked at home & take it with you so you don't have to cook on your camping trip.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I definitely agree about the cooler--I think I actually use coolers more in the jungle of selvadora for a quick free food source my sim can carry around. I basically never use it in granite falls, which is kinda hilarious since that's the pack they came in ;-P