Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm back and fairly impressed

BuckinghartBuckinghart Posts: 135 Member
Long time simmer (from the stone age, pre-sims even) and have always been a big fan of the franchise. I couldn't wait for this game when it was released but was sorely disappointed. I got the outdoor pack when it came out and gave up. I hated the game. Hated the look, the feel. I did love the new in depth sim creation options and some of the game play but for the most part got bored after an hour or so and put it aside. That has *never* happened with any of the others, even with just a base game to play with.

Fast forward..several years? Ive still been playing sims 3 from time to time but it's so laggy. One day I decided to dust off Sims 4 again. Had to reinstall and then I see there is a sale..well I wanted to try Pets and see how they stacked up in this incarnation. I wound up going from having just that to I think all the expansion packs, most of the game packs and a good handful of stuff packs and I haven't stopped playing in a week lol. (In my free time, of course!)

I still find some bugs but the whole feel of the game now is much better. The expanded content is nice but I didn't need it before in 3 to keep my interest. I rather like how it seems different neighborhoods have different weather? I haven't played enough to find my way around a lot yet.

I think I'm back for good this time.

When's the next sale going to be?? lol

Comments

• Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I was a bit like you back then - I did hate The Sims 4 as thought it was so boring.

Once they added a few updates and expansion packs - the game is quite playable and in fact more enjoyable than it was on the day it was released!
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I've always been a fan of the direction they went with Sims 4 :) Im a long time sims player. I started with Sims 1. Sims 4, never disappointed me. Most likely because I didnt connect with Sims 3 , the way that some people did. So i had no reason to feel like I lost anything when they made the changes they did <3
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    @TheHarbinger_51 to back her point - I never connected with The Sims 3 - it is hard to explain why I didn't connect to TS3 as I feel like it was... too realistic as I played since Sims 1 as well and I really love the whole cartoony silliness and their funny moments when they failed to do something that was so simple in real life. When I first played The Sims 2 - my first household was the Goths and getting that Cassandra to marry the lover boy but she got left by the altar which made me think I am in love this drama lol!
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    edited January 2019
    Welcome back @Buckinghart ! I loved ts3, and hated ts4 with only base game. Too plastic, gloomy, barbie kind of feel. But it's a totally different game now, with plenty of content and so many ways to use and combine various features.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    welcome back!
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I know the feeling. Sims 3 base game was quite enjoyable, while Sims 4 was lacking and kinda boring. Now, after all the packs and updates we got, I have to say it's a great game, and I hope they release a lot more packs before moving to Sims 5.
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    edited January 2019
    Like @TheHarbinger_51 and @Finbar659 said, I never connected with 3 as much. I did love World Adventures, but the game eventually became too laggy. I was really in love with TS2, so TS4 feels like a nice homage to that era of the Sims, which is why I've loved TS4 since the base game. Also, I don't think I can ever go back to a Sims world where multitasking isn't a thing now.

Glad you're enjoying the game.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Oh I definitely couldn't do that! I love the multi-tasking! :)@ShadyLady89
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Long time simmer also. It took Seasons to get me back and playing (I am not a big fan of seasons, but this one held my attention). Then the Celebrity Pack came out and I am loving it (been waiting on celebrities since the beginning).

I have recently packed away all my prior sims games (Sims3 will always be my love, think it was the open world, caw, and color wheel). I also know they are there if I ever decide to go back.......but for now.......it is Sims4, loving it!
  • Options
    Without a doubt - once they release The Sims 5 - we would all be complaining about something missing that bothers us so badly! This has happened with The Sims 3 as i did recall once someone complaining about diving pools being missing that was released as a free update once they release their Seasons Pack.

I think we need to learn to be patient once a base game is released (we gotta admit, all base games were terrible when they were released before they release updates and many gaming content)
  • Options
    I think sims 5 could even out do sims 3 in terms of features and tools and there would still be some people saying its not as good as sims 3. It's just , you cant please everyone and we're all different @Finbar659
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I've always been a fan of the direction they went with Sims 4 :) Im a long time sims player. I started with Sims 1. Sims 4, never disappointed me. Most likely because I didnt connect with Sims 3 , the way that some people did. So i had no reason to feel like I lost anything when they made the changes they did <3

I had a love/hate relationship with Sims3, but I confess, I still played it daily. (Try figuring that one out.) I got excited about Sims4, after they dropped the notion of it being an online game. I had a few bad encounters with WoW, and didn't wish to allow anybody to mess with my Sims. I didn't even like sending my singer Sim off on tour to others' games, although they couldn't play him. It was just odd. Long story short, the Sims in Sims4, while not quite as funny as those in Sims2, were much closer than the ones in Sims3. Suffice it to say I liked them better. I decided to go ahead and purchase packs as they were released, which I promised not to do if the game itself didn't wow me.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I used to be a Simmer like you, then I took a plumbob in the knee. :D
    :# (don't mind me, jus' being silly)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

Let me guess, someone stole your plumbob.
  • Options
    TropicanaCatTropicanaCat Posts: 93 Member
    The expansions, game packs and stuff packs make a huge difference.
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    This is something I felt too. TS3 was something I tried to enjoy after finding so much enjoyment with Sims 1 and especially Sims 2 but the Sims 3 I just could not connect. Then I saw the TS4 and immediately I loved the art direction and gameplay ideas.... But when I got it I felt as though it fell flat.

It wasn't until a year or two ago I impulsively decided to purchase it on my PS4 during a sale thinking it was my crummy computer that was the culprit for not enjoying it. Alas it was not the case I just could not get over the console controls. Then they added the virtual cursor update and finally I fell in love.

I now own all the released console packs and some game and stuff packs. It is not perfect but I finally understand the appeal of TS4. :D
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Completely understand. When I first got the game it was a gift and I played base game for a year. I was quickly hooked though, because I had been on a sims hiatus for a year since something went wrong with my Sims 3 saves and destroyed them (whether it was Sims 3 being Sims 3 or my brother thinking he was helping me organize my computer when be actually wasn't, I still don't know), so I was just glad to have Sims. Any Sims.

I'd gotten 4 a year after release though, which meant I didn't suffer exactly the same way. I'd held off getting it because I'd heard about what was being left out (toddlers, ghosts, pools, terrain, open world, the list goes on) and wasn't sure I wanted to invest until I played a friend's. I can't imagine I'd have been very happy if I'd played earlier. It was like four steps backwards. But it's come a long long way and really improved. If they keep adding in the classic things that had been left out, it might compete with 2 as my favorite. I actually enjoy it's design and look. Much as I loved and played 3, I didn't "connect" as others have said (and the render was always a nightmare for me).
  • Options
    BuckinghartBuckinghart Posts: 135 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

Let me guess, someone stole your plumbob.

:D:D:D

Elder Scrolls fan since Arena as well. y'all are killing me bwuahahah
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I dunno what it is about the Sims, I have ended up playing each iteration less than the last.

I was totally addicted to 2, played it far too much for my own good. 3 came along and I loved it even more, but played it less for some reason. Then came 4, and what an abysmal mess it was...

It is, of course, much better now with the addition of toddlers, pools, landscaping tools etc. But, somehow, it can never hold my attention for a long time. There's still something missing... still a lot wrong with it.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    The last sale actually lasted for til the first week of January and the longest I've seen a sale on just about every pack for the Sims 4. It was crazy.
    Who knows might be another sale in a month or so, since they are pretty common.

I did enjoy the Sims 4 when it came out, but it definitely needed way more improvement especially for the asking price back then. Actually liked it more than the Sims 3 base game, since the rabbitholes pretty much killed it for me among lack of things to do the more I played it. Not to mention constant corrupt saves. With the patches of extra content, adding things that were missing and clothing, new jobs and world base game is far better than what it was. Last year was a pretty good year for the Sims 4 in terms of content (cept for maybe my first pet stuff derp).

Looking forward to see what more is in in store this year.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    From what I understand in another thread there seems to be a different stuff pack on sale every week recently also. So keep checking the origin for sales or buy in bundles. Also know there are sales pretty frequently.. maybe you can have the willpower to wait :).
    Glad you are having fun in the game.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I didn't play when 4 was first released... I joined in after toddlers were released and I really love it as it is now :).