Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Garden doesn't need watering and weeding

It started a couple months ago from what I remember. My sim has garden which is located in a greenhouse. At first nothing was wrong but then the garden doesn't need tending at all even after lots of days passed. Anyone have this kind of problem?
Origin ID: lotary00

Comments

• Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    edited December 2018
    I have this problem but only at the science lab. Can't order co workers to garden when the task pops up because they never get the option until they go bad and I have to dispose of them.(The plants, not the workers ;p)
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    My greenhouse garden doesn't need tending very often, and, IIRC, if you have or have had a Sim with the 'green thumb' trait, it needs even less attention. So, yes, I'd say it's not abnormal for plants to go several days without needing water or weeding - they actually need fertiliser more often. If they're dying from lack of water or have weeds you can see but can't remove, however, then something is wrong.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    lotarylotary Posts: 111 Member
    My greenhouse garden doesn't need tending very often, and, IIRC, if you have or have had a Sim with the 'green thumb' trait, it needs even less attention. So, yes, I'd say it's not abnormal for plants to go several days without needing water or weeding - they actually need fertiliser more often. If they're dying from lack of water or have weeds you can see but can't remove, however, then something is wrong.

Due to real life issues, I almost forgot that I made this thread. Pardon me for the late reply.

Back to the topic, the problem is my garden seems inactive. The harvestables don't add up and the only watering needed is when my Sim plants a new seed. It frustates me as I want to make my Sim a botanist, but without gardening I doubt he can reach the top level or even be promoted. Yes, there's a cheat, but I want to avoid using cheat as possible as I could.
    Origin ID: lotary00
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I can't figure out gardening anymore either. I used to love it, but then it got altered and so darn restricted :/

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    lotary wrote: »

Due to real life issues, I almost forgot that I made this thread. Pardon me for the late reply.

Back to the topic, the problem is my garden seems inactive. The harvestables don't add up and the only watering needed is when my Sim plants a new seed. It frustates me as I want to make my Sim a botanist, but without gardening I doubt he can reach the top level or even be promoted. Yes, there's a cheat, but I want to avoid using cheat as possible as I could.

They need more water in summer, even if they're in the greenhouse. And some plants don't produce harvestables every day, and don't produce many when they do. I did have trouble getting the 'weed or water plants ten times' aspiration goal completed, because even though I had six plants in my greenhouse, they so rarely needed either that it took a while to get to ten times. (I eventually started four new plants - three for the splicing I knew I would have to do in the next stage of the aspiration, and a cow plant, which I would need later.)

If you're just trying to level up their gardening, try researching the plants (I think that requires the second level, and a plant can't be researched until it actually sprouts.) That builds gardening very quickly. And, of course, you can always have your Sim read the gardening skill books. But I'm not discounting the possibility that you've got something bugged in your game.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Sheltered plants grow slower than non sheltered plants. I think it's even as much four times slower? At least when it comes to quality increase, but it may extend to everything. It's been some time since I played a family that has a greenhouse though.
    Anyway, I always put the plants that are in season outdoors. They're more profitable that way.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited January 2019
    Do you keep your sims at home for the 5am turnover time? If you travel with your sims a lot the plants might not be progressing. Keep your sim home for a few days in a row (you can go to work/school) and see if they need care. I love gardening again now but it was hard for me to get use to and enjoy again.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Adding a bit - I've currently only got one YA in my household. She has full gardening skills but not the 'green thumb' trait. She has six perfect plants and six in various stages of evolving, two outdoors and the rest in the greenhouse. I played Wed to Tues, winter-spring, last night, and only three or four plants required watering during that time.

Spinach, pears, carrots and growfruit are pretty reliable for harvestables - they'll produce something nearly every day, and the spinach and carrots don't take long from planting to start producing, as long as their either in season or in a greenhouse.