Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The 'Emotion Bomb' Quirk Deadly?

IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
So recently I was playing a Hot-Headed celebrity, and while away at work they became "Fine", which is normal, just due to moodlets timing out and needs decreasing naturally over time.
But when he arrived back home his Hot-Headed trait activated and he got the +1 Angry moodlet, which made him angry, which then turned around and activated his Emotion Bomb quirk, giving him another Angry moodlet, a whopping +8 Angry moodlet!
b14a47b1d6.png
This of course pushed him over to Enraged. Now he hasn't died of cardiac explosion YET, but if all it takes is for him to become Angry (not even VERY angry) even once to cause his Emotion Bomb to activate and enrage him, this seems like a really dangerous quirk!

Can a Sim with Emotion Bomb die from Emotion Bomb's enraged moodlet? Or does it give the Sim some special protection from it until the moodlet's over. The moodlets lasts like... 3 hours. Which seems like long enough to be a real threat to a Sim's life.

Comments

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I was wondering about this as well when I saw the quirk. I just took a look at the code and at a glance, it looks like there is special protection for it.

But... if they are willing to outright disable whims being visible by default, I think they should just do the same treatment for emotional deaths at this point. Or at least make an official option to disable them.

They seem to have embraced the idea that making emotions more intense is necessary for them to be impactful to the sim, since they can otherwise get easily lost under layers of +1 and +2s.

But it makes Angry, Playful, and Embarrassed an increasing cause for concern if they embrace such, and those three being possible death seems pretty arbitrary to me. I get the thought behind it; heart attack from anger (makes a kind of pseudo-realistic sense), dying of laughter and dying of embarrassment (it's a silly game in some ways). But it doesn't seem to be meaningful or interesting based on how most people seem to talk about it. Maybe their collated feedback says otherwise, but that's the impression I get.

On the other hand, officially supporting them being turned off would open up way more freedom with those emotions, I feel. Instead of pushing so much emphasis on going straight to the mirror to calm down, there could be more emphasis on acting on the emotion, creating more interesting and dynamic gameplay, instead of it being a passing phase to get out of and avoid as much as possible. This is a game, after all. Embracing some negative emotions could be fun and interesting, and fit with the quirky tone of the game.

To give a sense of the absurdity of it from a design standpoint, if I'm reading the code right, it basically says that if the sim has the emotion bomb anger moodlet, then they can't die of anger. So it almost seems like they are trying to move away from emotional deaths, but without taking an official stance on it yet. *shrug*
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    @Triplis
    Wow, thanks for the info!
    I guess I won't have worry about him so much.

And yeah, I really wish emotional deaths were a toggle.
    Hysterical deaths are really easy to get with so many Happy moodlets at our disposal.
    And it's ~hysterically~ easy to get that death with a Geek using a streaming drone, as they get a huge +10 Happy moodlet from it, for as long as they're being recorded by it.
    I'd love being able to turn them off for normal play, just so I could have my Sims be happy without worrying about them becoming the wrong KIND of happy.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    I was wondering about this as well when I saw the quirk. I just took a look at the code and at a glance, it looks like there is special protection for it.

But... if they are willing to outright disable whims being visible by default, I think they should just do the same treatment for emotional deaths at this point. Or at least make an official option to disable them.

They seem to have embraced the idea that making emotions more intense is necessary for them to be impactful to the sim, since they can otherwise get easily lost under layers of +1 and +2s.

But it makes Angry, Playful, and Embarrassed an increasing cause for concern if they embrace such, and those three being possible death seems pretty arbitrary to me. I get the thought behind it; heart attack from anger (makes a kind of pseudo-realistic sense), dying of laughter and dying of embarrassment (it's a silly game in some ways). But it doesn't seem to be meaningful or interesting based on how most people seem to talk about it. Maybe their collated feedback says otherwise, but that's the impression I get.

On the other hand, officially supporting them being turned off would open up way more freedom with those emotions, I feel. Instead of pushing so much emphasis on going straight to the mirror to calm down, there could be more emphasis on acting on the emotion, creating more interesting and dynamic gameplay, instead of it being a passing phase to get out of and avoid as much as possible. This is a game, after all. Embracing some negative emotions could be fun and interesting, and fit with the quirky tone of the game.

To give a sense of the absurdity of it from a design standpoint, if I'm reading the code right, it basically says that if the sim has the emotion bomb anger moodlet, then they can't die of anger. So it almost seems like they are trying to move away from emotional deaths, but without taking an official stance on it yet. *shrug*

That was a great point. When one of my sims is playful I just go panic-mode running for the nearest mirror. I have never really played with a sim in playful because I don’t want that sim to die. Playful=panic in my book.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited December 2018
    Triplis wrote: »

That was a great point. When one of my sims is playful I just go panic-mode running for the nearest mirror. I have never really played with a sim in playful because I don’t want that sim to die. Playful=panic in my book.

Agreed. Specially if toddlers are involved, I had so many parents die that way. Sometimes, once you notice, it's already too late. It can be good to have random events, in fact I like that, but having your sim die unexpectedly because the toddler is really cute or funny and there's a nice painting in the room is a bit too much. Specially when it happens so often.

Good to know how this traits works, thanks for the insight, @Triplis
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I think they finally saw some sense and tweaked how emotional deaths work! From the release day of this game I found the concept of emotional deaths STUPID AND RIDICULOUS. Can't say it any nicer than that. Why would a game add emotions as a big feature and then punish you for having them in extreme emotional states? It just has zero sense to it!! Our goal shouldn't be to have our sims in a perpetual joyful state. What fun is that? I use MCC to immediately turn off all emotional deaths.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    b14a47b1d6.png
    Oh hey! I use that house too but I renovated it!

F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    So, Sims can’t die an emotional death from the Emotion Bomb Quirk, then?

If so, then that would make me so happy and I can get the Quirk without fear! I :)

I just hate, hate, haaaaate emotional deaths so much, lol.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)