Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin sale: expansion packs; Now with potential workaround

puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
Origin is currently holding a sale on TS3 expansion packs (and, from the look of things, a number of other games). All EPs are priced at $5 U.S. Stuff packs, worlds, and points still have their normal price.

I know many of us play through disc or Steam, but those who use Origin (and haven't bought all the packs yet) might find this convenient.

I couldn't find an end date for the sale, but it's for Black Friday, so it should be good at least through then (November 23).
Post edited by puzzlezaddict on

Comments

• Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I was browsing Origin, and noticed some of TS3 EPS are 75% off (I didn’t look to see if it’s all of them, but for sure Showtime and Pets) however, it says your need “the sims 3 starter pack” now, I have this, but I didn’t get it through Origin as I have the discs version. Does anyone know if this won’t work unless I have the specific Origin bundle?
  • Options
    vochickvochick Posts: 10 New Member
    > @Olivesplum06 said:
    > I was browsing Origin, and noticed some of TS3 EPS are 75% off (I didn’t look to see if it’s all of them, but for sure Showtime and Pets) however, it says your need “the sims 3 starter pack” now, I have this, but I didn’t get it through Origin as I have the discs version. Does anyone know if this won’t work unless I have the specific Origin bundle?

I own base game, not the starter pack version, and I am seeing this too. I don't remember if mine is disc or not. I am trying to buy Island Paradise but it's telling me that I already own it, which I do not, and it won't let me purchase it.
  • Options
    @Olivesplum06 It looks like Origin doesn't sell the base game separately anymore, although you can of course buy it somewhere else and then add the code to your account. So instead of requiring you to own a product that it doesn't sell, Origin lists the starter pack, which is the only combo pack available (and the only product that contains the base game, which is of course required).

You're supposed to be able to buy, download, and install other packs without owning the starter pack specifically; you're also supposed to get credit for owning the starter pack if you own its components (Late Night and High-End Loft Stuff). In practice, some players run into the occasional error, but it's usually resolved by either clearing Origin's cache, or manually uninstalling and reinstalling Origin itself.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

If you still can't buy packs from Origin, please post about it at AHQ, where EA staff are more likely to see your thread and forward it to the appropriate destination.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/bd-p/the-sims-3
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    vochick wrote: »
    > @Olivesplum06 said:
    > I was browsing Origin, and noticed some of TS3 EPS are 75% off (I didn’t look to see if it’s all of them, but for sure Showtime and Pets) however, it says your need “the sims 3 starter pack” now, I have this, but I didn’t get it through Origin as I have the discs version. Does anyone know if this won’t work unless I have the specific Origin bundle?

I own base game, not the starter pack version, and I am seeing this too. I don't remember if mine is disc or not. I am trying to buy Island Paradise but it's telling me that I already own it, which I do not, and it won't let me purchase it.

Hmm, maybe contact EA chat and talk to someone? I’ll try buying one later today and tell you what happens.
  • Options
    @vochick Your issue is a bit different and, as far as we can tell, is unrelated to whether you own the "starter pack" or not. A couple of players have had success either using filters within the Origin app or buying through the website instead. Perhaps one of these techniques will work for you as well:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/You-already-have-all-the-games-in-this-order/m-p/7187687#M233177

If these steps don't help you either (and it might be useful to clear Origin's cache or uninstall and reinstall it; see my comment above for the links), please click Me Too on the initial post and reply describing what you've tried and which packs you can't buy. The more people post, the better chance there is that the issue will be resolved. (I wish it didn't work that way, but it does.)
  • Options
    I tried clearing the Origin cache, using filters and tried to purchase via Origin website and it still doesn't work. Reinstalling sounds to risky. God I'd hate to contact them since that's always awkward for me. lol Maybe I'm not meant to get this sale today.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    A little surprising coming from Origin. They pretty much stopped doing sales for Sims 3 a while ago and if any, not very much off. This sale is great for those who are interested. :)
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    > @vochick said:
    > I tried clearing the Origin cache, using filters and tried to purchase via Origin website and it still doesn't work. Reinstalling sounds to risky. God I'd hate to contact them since that's always awkward for me. lol Maybe I'm not meant to get this sale today.

@puzzlezaddict

I tried the filters again and it worked!!! I am now $5 broker! Of course I didn't filter correctly the first time.

So yes, using the filters instead DO work if you have the game through Origin.

Thank you for the links!
  • Options
    NellionkingiNellionkingi Posts: 28 Member
    Yess, I can finally get the University pack!
    I’ll show you the dark side.
  • Options
    I did a bit of poking around last night, and so for anyone who's still seeing the "you already have all the games in this order" error, there may be a temporary solution, although I'm not sure it will still work when the sale is over.

Instead of trying to buy the packs you want though your game library, or searching for them directly, open the Origin app and then click on the "Celebrate Black Friday" banner across the top of the Origin window. (It doesn't always show, but clicking on Browse on the left of the screen usually made it appear for me.) This will bring up a list of all discounted games, which is a lot; you can use the "sort & filter" function in the upper right corner to narrow the list. I used "simulation." Then you'll be able to click on any TS3 EP and select "Add to Order" instead of "Buy Now," and you'll see a Buy button towards the top of the screen. You should be able to buy all the EPs you want, although SPs won't be available through this method, since they're not on sale.

It's hard for me to test this approach, since I already own all expansions, but it did work for someone else's account. If any of you are still having trouble, hopefully you can use this workaround to buy the content you want before the sale ends.
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I was able to get all of the TS3 EPs I was missing in this sale. Now I am waiting for the SPs to go on sale.
  • Options
    @EricasFreePlay I don't know when, or if, the SPs will go on sale in Origin. But Steam is offering all TS3 packs at $5 each until November 27th. You'd have to buy a copy of the base game as well (also $5), but the discount would still be significant. Plus, if you register your extra copy of the base game to your account, you get another free 1,000 SimPoints at the store.
  • Options
    Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    I'm so tempted to get TS4 while it's on offer but I'd feel like I was cheating on my beloved TS3 lol
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    If I bought the games from steam, is it possible to transfer my saves and all my content over to them?
  • Options
    @Springfairy556 Yes, you can register your Steam purchases in Origin. Steam provides CD keys for the base game and each pack you buy, which you can add to your EA/Origin account just as you would a disc code.

You would have to buy the base game specifically in Steam, but it also costs only $5 (a bundle may be cheaper overall) until tomorrow morning. You'd also get another 1,000 SimPoints for it (and 1,000 for World Adventures, if you buy a second copy), so it's still a good deal.
  • Options
    @Springfairy556 Yes, you can register your Steam purchases in Origin. Steam provides CD keys for the base game and each pack you buy, which you can add to your EA/Origin account just as you would a disc code.

Awesome! Thanks.I hope they do this again, at this moment and time I don't have the money, but for future, wanted to make sure I could move over my saves without much issues.
  • Options
    @Springfairy556 Sorry I wasn't totally clear on what you were asking before. But yes, you can transfer your saves and other content from an Origin install to a Steam one. The only exception is store stuff, which would have to be reinstalled (but could of course be redownloaded for free). I did this a few months ago, also moving from mac OS to Windows, and everything went fine.

Steam usually has a sale around New Year's, and last year, the prices were exactly the same as you're seeing now. That's no guarantee, but there have been a few similar sales so far this year, so it's entirely feasible to rebuy the game. Just remember that the packs you own in Origin would not transfer to Steam—you'd have to rebuy them all.
  • Options
    @Springfairy556 Sorry I wasn't totally clear on what you were asking before. But yes, you can transfer your saves and other content from an Origin install to a Steam one. The only exception is store stuff, which would have to be reinstalled (but could of course be redownloaded for free). I did this a few months ago, also moving from mac OS to Windows, and everything went fine.

Steam usually has a sale around New Year's, and last year, the prices were exactly the same as you're seeing now. That's no guarantee, but there have been a few similar sales so far this year, so it's entirely feasible to rebuy the game. Just remember that the packs you own in Origin would not transfer to Steam—you'd have to rebuy them all.

Yeah, that's why I'm not doing it right now.94.00 for all the games isn't a bad price at all! just at the holiday season kind of tough lol.Though I may just grab the base and couple of them.