Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I just bought a new computer for the game, is it good enough?

My old desktop died last year so I haven't been able to play the game much since. I have a very basic laptop that I will play the game on once in a while with very low settings, but obviously the game isn't as much fun when it looks like crap. My boyfriend recently helped me pick out a new laptop and bought it for me as a gift (we have nowhere in our new apartment for a desktop). I'm waiting for it in the mail currently. Below are the specs. I'm assuming the game will play fine on it, but I'm not an expert. I don't expect amazing graphics, I just want to be able to play it on medium at least.

Also if this is the wrong place to post this then please let me know where I should post this at? Thank you in advance for any input :smile:

HP Omen Laptop - 15T
  • Windows 10 Home 64
  • HP Wide Vision HD Camera + Dual Mic 1050
  • 4-cell, 70 Wh Li-ion polymer
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8750H (2.2 GHz, up to 4.1 GHz, 9 MB cache, 6 cores)+NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • Full-size backlit keyboard with numeric keypad and N-Key Rollover (White Legend)
  • 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
  • 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo
  • 15.6" diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
tumblr_mepseko5hO1r4j4oj.gif

Comments

• Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Yep, your good. You'll want to install the game on your 1TB HDD, your SSD is too small to game on.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    pamy1124pamy1124 Posts: 525 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Yep, your good. You'll want to install the game on your 1TB HDD, your SSD is too small to game on.

Ok, thank you!!!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    How nice of your boyfriend. <3 It's usually a good thing to worry about specs before purchasing the computer :p ... but this is fine as @ChelleJo says. Running on Ultra should give you no trouble if you wish to play with those settings.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    How nice of your boyfriend. <3 It's usually a good thing to worry about specs before purchasing the computer :p ... but this is fine as @ChelleJo says. Running on Ultra should give you no trouble if you wish to play with those settings.

Really? That's wonderful, thank you! I don't know much about computers so I looked up the recommended specs online for the base game and my boyfriend looked at that and then picked this out for me. I wasn't sure though since the specs were only for the base game and with all the packs added you might need better specs? At least that was my experience with the sims 3... I have all of them so far for The Sims 4 except Get Famous. And the computer is a birthday/Christmas present. Today is my birthday so it's like a 2 for 1 gift because it was so expensive. I'm very lucky, I have a wonderful boyfriend :blush:
  • Options
    Happy Birthday :)

Correct... packs add to the game requirements. This laptop should carry you through the series.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Yep, Happy Birthday! You have a keeper for a boyfriend! :)

Jen is correct (she's a smart cookie, she'll never steer ya wrong ;) ). This laptop will carry you through the series just fine, on max settings. You are correct, too, more packs add to the requirements, and a laptop needs to be stronger than a desktop. So you and boyfriend did good with this laptop. :)

Edited for spelling error LOL
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,616 Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes it is good enough but you will still experience stuttering cuz the game has a bad fps rate especially on laptops.

My laptop is quite similar to yours but just a tad bit older CPU. I just bought mine like early this year tho. XD I still get stutters especially when spinning the camera around.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Normally I keep v-sync turned on but turning it off for this game helped me. Frames no longer locked with more room to fluctuate. So when you get the computer, if you experience the FPS issue pretty bad, it's worth a shot. The option for v-sync (vertical sync) can be found in Game Options > Gameplay under Display. Just make sure your laptop isn't overheating with v-sync off.
  • Options
    Normally I keep v-sync turned on but turning it off for this game helped me. Frames no longer locked with more room to fluctuate. So when you get the computer, if you experience the FPS issue pretty bad, it's worth a shot. The option for v-sync (vertical sync) can be found in Game Options > Gameplay under Display. Just make sure your laptop isn't overheating with v-sync off.

Really? Hmmmm. We both have a GTX 1070, what would be a "safe" fps max high? I'll try with my V-sync off as long as I know what I should be looking for in the too high category.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Yep, Happy Birthday! You have a keeper for a boyfriend! :)

Jen is correct (she's a smart cookie, she'll never steer ya wrong ;) ). This laptop will carry you through the series just fine, on max settings. You are correct, too, more packs add to the requirements, and a laptop needs to be stronger than a desktop. So you and boyfriend did good with this laptop. :)

Edited for spelling error LOL
    Happy Birthday :)

Correct... packs add to the game requirements. This laptop should carry you through the series.

Thank you both! :blush: And that's good to hear! I was nervous about the addition of more packs in the future causing it to not run as well. My boyfriend knows all about computers and is a gamer, I don't play many games besides The Sims and Cities Skylines.
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    Yes it is good enough but you will still experience stuttering cuz the game has a bad fps rate especially on laptops.

My laptop is quite similar to yours but just a tad bit older CPU. I just bought mine like early this year tho. XD I still get stutters especially when spinning the camera around.

Ok, I'll see if I have any issues and then do that if I have to. My boyfriend has an external laptop fan he uses for his laptop sometimes, would something like that help if my laptop does over heat with v-sync off?
  • Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member

I disagree. Assuming OP mainly plays the Sims, put the game on the SSD and everything else (game wise) on the HDD. Load times are non-existent with an SSD.

As for the OP. The laptop will play it, but don't expect miracles. Laptops are awful for gaming.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    NoTalent wrote: »

I disagree. Assuming OP mainly plays the Sims, put the game on the SSD and everything else (game wise) on the HDD. Load times are non-existent with an SSD.

As for the OP. The laptop will play it, but don't expect miracles. Laptops are awful for gaming.

I'm sorry you disagree, but if they have all packs, will be using cc and mods, and want future packs, 128GB is NOT enough to game on. You have to leave space on a drive, you can't fill up the whole 128GB's.

Also, I have a 1TB SSD on my desktop and a 128GB SSD on my laptop, so I'm quite familiar with SSD vs HDD, the load times are not that massively different from SSD to HDD. Yes, there is a difference, but not enough of one that I would tell someone to game on a tiny SSD that they'd likely have to uninstall and reinstall later on their HHD.

ETA: And laptops are not awful for gaming. I game on my laptop every night just fine. With specs much like the OP's. Never have had a problem.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    edited November 2018
    NoTalent wrote: »

I'm sorry you disagree, but if they have all packs, will be using cc and mods, and want future packs, 128GB is NOT enough to game on. You have to leave space on a drive, you can't fill up the whole 128GB's.

Also, I have a 1TB SSD on my desktop and a 128GB SSD on my laptop, so I'm quite familiar with SSD vs HDD, the load times are not that massively different from SSD to HDD. Yes, there is a difference, but not enough of one that I would tell someone to game on a tiny SSD that they'd likely have to uninstall and reinstall later on their HHD.

ETA: And laptops are not awful for gaming. I game on my laptop every night just fine. With specs much like the OP's. Never have had a problem.

Lmao. Okay.

1. Without an SSD, this game takes about 27 seconds per load screen. With one, it's 8 seconds. That's 19 seconds per load screen difference. Other games have the same results. TW:WII, for example, has a one minute and thirty seconds turn timer on an HDD, it's around forty-two seconds on an SSD.

2. The Sims is only around 30GB (with all DLC). My CC folder is about 10GB, so 40GB total. A measly amount if all you do is play Sims 4. You're not going to use that SSD space unless you dump things onto it, which you should not do. Also, you're not going to notice a difference between an HDD and an SSD if you don't actually use it. General browsing won't change a thing as that's internet based, as is facebook and checking emails.

IE: fa76b56f6b06c7da6971e0832307c705.png

3. Laptops are awful for gaming unless you have a gaming laptop. A laptops lifespan is almost 80% shorter than a desktops, which is proven. They overheat, burn components, and then they're done. Your laptop will last two years while my desktop will last ten. Not to mention run better due to a) being built myself and b) not being filled to the brim with bloatware which are on prepurchased computers.

4. You don't need to uninstall and reinstall to move the game between directories. SImply change the install directory and move the files and voila. It takes 15 seconds.
  • Options
    I'm not gonna argue with someone, I'll just say.

1. 19 seconds is not a massive difference. Not enough for the headache of future problems gaming on a small SSD.

2. When you take a 40GB game (Currently, future will be larger) and at least 40GB open, and windows 10... that's pushing the limit of the size already, so they WILL have to move it eventually.

3. The OP DOES have a gaming laptop. You said "laptops" not "non-gaming laptops" and since we're talking to the OP, and they have a gaming laptop, it's incorrect to tell them that "laptops (generalized) is horrible for gaming". They are not. Under powered laptops, yeah, people will struggle. Again, THE OP isn't trying to play on an underpowered laptop.

4. When they go to tech support, AHQ, or Origin support when they have problems, they won't be told how to transfer files from one drive to the next. They'll be told to uninstall and reinstall.

Again. I'm not gonna argue on the forums. I'm done responding. I feel the OP got enough information without the derailment from someone wanting to argue.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @ChelleJo thank you for your information. I don't want anyone to argue, but I appreciate you responding.
    @NoTalent I don't plan on putting the game on my SSD. The extra seconds of load time doesn't bother me. I currently play the game on the lowest settings on a crappy laptop so it really won't bother me if it takes 27 seconds to load when with my current laptop it takes several minutes sometimes. 27 seconds sounds great to be honest, the loading screens don't bother me that much. Also, as I said in my original post a desktop is currently not possible for me. I don't have room for it in my new apartment. Maybe in a few years my bf and I can afford a house or bigger place and I can look in to getting a decent desktop then. Until then, I think this gaming laptop will work fine.

Thank you to everyone who responded and for the information. I feel very confident in this lap top and am excited to start playing the game more with better graphics! :smiley: