Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need ideas fot custom holidays

I just got Seasons (yay!), and I have the seasons on the longest setting, so I have plenty of time for some custom holidays, but I have no idea what kind of holidays to create. Please share your holiday ideas. Can be anything from very realistic to super silly.
BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Comments

• Options
    SimmerUnikornSimmerUnikorn Posts: 80 Member
    Add easter in the spring time!
    -Simmer Unikorn
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    edited November 2018
    In my game there are a handful custom holidays. the one I like the best is "Leaf Burning" taking place on the last day of Fall. It's quite cozy seeing the leaf piles burning after dark. You can add BBQ or singing etc to make it more like a big thing, but in my game sims don't even get the day off work/school.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited November 2018
    I play with 3-week seasons (a mod gives that option) and have at least 1 holiday per week. I also use a mod that adds some additional holiday traditions to help round them out. Each season has at least 3 holidays. Spring and Winter have 4, and I don't have all of them tagged to be an off-work-day... unless vacation is used, of course (designated by asterisks in my list).

The Holidays I have set up, in order, are:

Spring:
    • Spring Has Sprung - at the start of spring, basically just a spring cleaning holiday with Cleaning and gardening being the holiday traditions.
    • Day of Famine* - Friday before Easter, with Attend Ceremony, Fasting and Decorate as the traditions.
    • Springfest - Basically Easter Sunday, with Decorate, Egg Hunt, Flower Bunny, Grand Meal, and invite guests traditions.
    • Day of Song - A day to celebrate the arts, with Art & Music Spirit, Decorate and BBQ traditions. From the mod, I also have Art Exhibition and Go to a Music Concert traditions here.
    Summer:
    • Llama day - 4th of July/Independence day for the sims. Decorate, Drinking, Fireworks, BBQ and Water Fun traditions
    • Summerfest* - I'm from the Milwaukee area of Wisconsin, this emulates a concert event that happens there. Traditions are Drinking and Go to a Music Concert
    • Day of Remembrance - Tell Stories, Remembrance, Fire, Go on a Vacation/Travel traditions. Also from the mod, Hiking Trip tradition. -- sorta my mother's day, father day, memorial day all rolled into one.
    Fall:
    • Oktoberfest - BBQ, Gardening, Drinking, Party Spirit, Holiday gnomes traditions.
    • Spooky Day - Wear Costumes, Trick or Treat, Spooky Spirit, Decorate and Mischief Spirit traditions.
    • Harvestfest (basically Thanksgiving) - Thankful Spirit, Sports TV, Decorate, Grand Meal, Invite Guests
    Winter:
    • Polar Plunge* - Again..from wisconsin, so I had to have this in there. Polar Bear Plunge and Drinking as traditions.
    • Winterfest Eve - Give Gifts, Father Winter, Decorate, Baking, Attend Holiday Ceremony traditions
    • Winterfest - Festive Lighting, Decorate, Festive Spirit, Open Presents, Grand Meal
    • New Years Eve - Party Spirit, Make Resolutions, Decorate, Drinking, Countdown to Midnight
    • Love Day - Watch Romantic TV, Romantic Spirit, Go on a Date, Give Flowers, Decorate

Been through one full year cycle so far since setting them up and things have been nice. Frequent enough holidays to enjoy them, but enough days in between to lead a normal sim life most of the time.
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    In Summer I usually add a Llama day for their Independence day when the watcher lets them do whatever they want mostly involves water fun and drinking with streaking and a bonfire at the end I'll also add a Summer's end with a BBQ and a random Friday with school off so that's the vacation time for the kids.

Other seasons I just add what I would celebrate in real life and I'd probably add an extra holiday in Spring with Easter, Egg day, so more kids can meet the Flower Bunny. There is always baking and an egg hunt involved with giving flowers on either day.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Someone had something like a survival of the fittest day where you did things like streaking and swimming in Winter.
  • Options
    xabbynip09xabbynip09 Posts: 17 Member
    Well, I’m not from Mexico, but if you watch the movie coco, then add day of the dead at the start of fall.
    "Now, don't you go shortening the word family by cutting out my three favorite letters. I-L-Y." ~Patton (Thomas Sanders) from Sander Sides
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    Add "The Sims Day" in Fall (that's when Sims 4 come out in fall season" add playing game. LOL
    Day of fasting in fall season" add no eat food for few hours" no work help so few along other.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Thank you everyone for your awesome ideas, and thank you @Stormkeep for your super detailed post. @Simmerville I really like the idea of leaf burning on the last day of fall.

Here’s one I thought of: Praise the Watcher Day with Thankful Spirit, Party Spirit, and Fire.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    @QueenofMyshuno, Add the gnomes one to that Praise the Watcher day...cause those buggers ARE the Watchers. They scare me...
  • Options
    PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    Mothers/Fathers Day (any other family day) - Movie Marathon Night? Pizza Paloooooza? Summertime BBQ? Winter Warm-up? (cosy up, movies, spend time with family)?
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    CristalBlueRosesCristalBlueRoses Posts: 427 Member
    I haven't made any truly custom. but I did make a "winterfest eve".. and moved some of the decoration stuff and father winter to the eve instead of winterfest day. (like Christmas Eve and Christmas Day... Santa doesn't come on Christmas day, he comes Christmas eve)

Oh, I made a water day, and now it seems like a guaranty to rain that day... I built an indoor pool for it.

I like the pizza ideas.. and movie night.. some great ideas here
    Brian's Log: Day sixty-seven.
    Cube was quite all night. Once again
    Cube as quiet all day. As per previously.
    No movement.
    No change in measurements.
    End of entry
  • Options
    Full disclosure, the calendar and holidays are one of my favorite things(may have gone over board)

Week 1 Spring - February | Week 1
    -First of Spring Monday
    *Make Resolutions
    -Valentine's(Sweet Day) Friday
    *Baking, Give Flowers, Fire, Art & Music Spirit
    Week 2 Spring - March | Week 2
    -Garden Day Friday
    *Gardening, Drinking, Fire, Art & Music Spirit, Holiday Gnomes
    -Spring Equinox (Spring Equinox) Wednesday
    *Grand Meal, Fire, Appreciate an Object, Party Spirit, Fasting
    Week 3 Spring - April | Week 3
    -Easter (Bunny-n-Egg Day) Sunday
    *Egg Hunt, Flower Bunny
    Week 4 Spring - May | Week 4
    -Beltane (Summer Feast) Wednesday
    *Grand Meal, Fire, Decorate, Drinking, Art & Music Spirit
    -Mors Day Sunday
    *Give Flowers, Give Gifts, Grand Meal, Baking, Cleaning
    -Last of Spring Saturday
    *Gardening
    Week 1 Summer - May | Week 5
    -First of Summer Sunday
    *Make Resolutions
    -Day of Ancestor's Monday(Day Off)
    *Remembrance, BBQ, Drinking, Attend Holiday Ceremony, Tell Stories
    Week 2 Summer - June | Week 6
    -Fars Day Sunday
    *BBQ, Sports TV, Drinking, Give Gifts, Fire
    -Summer Solstice Wednesday(Day Off)
    *Grand Meal, Fire, Appreciate on Object, Party Spirit, Fasting
    -Summer Vacation Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday(Days Off)
    *Water Fun, BBQ, Go on Vacation or Travel
    Week 3 Summer - July | Week 7
    -Fire Fest Sunday
    *Fire, BBQ, Water Fun, Party Spirit, Fireworks
    -Summer Vacation Monday-Friday(Days Off)
    *Water Fun, BBQ, Go on Vacation or Travel
    Week 4 Summer - August | Week 8
    -Lughnagadh Wednesday
    *Grand Meal, Tell Stories, Games, Art & Music Spirit
    -Last of Summer Saturday
    *Gardening
    Week 1 Fall - August | Week 9
    -First of Fall Monday
    *Make Resolutions
    Week 2 Fall - September | Week 10
    -Day of Rest Monday(Day Off)
    *Make Resolutions
    -Fall Equinox Wednesday
    *Grand Meal, Fire, Appreciate on Object, Party Spirit, Fasting
    Week 3 Fall - October | Week 11
    -Explorer's Day Monday
    *Make Resolutions, Appreciate an Object, Festive Lighting
    -All Hallows' Eve Friday
    *Wear Costumes, Trick or Treat, Spooky Spirit, Decorate
    Week 4 Fall - November |Week 12
    -Samhain Wednesday
    *Fire, Grand Meal, Drinking, Wear Costumes, Holiday Gnomes
    -Harvest Feast Thursday(Day Off)
    *Grand Meal, Drinking, Tell Stories, Decorate, Thankful Spirit
    -Last of Fall Saturday
    *Gardening
    Week 1 Winter - November | Week 13
    -First of Winter Monday
    *Make Resolutions
    Week 2 Winter - December | Week 14
    -Winter Solstice Wednesday
    *Grand Meal, Fire, Appreciate an Object, Party Spirit, Fasting
    -Ante Donum Diem(Christmas Eve) Thursday(Day Off)
    *Decorate, Open Gifts, Grand Meal, Baking, Festive Lighting
    -Donum Diem(Christmas) Friday(Day Off)
    *Open Gifts, Grand Meal, Give Gifts, Festive Spirit, Father Winter
    -Ante De Novo Die(New Years Eve) Saturday
    *Count Down to Midnight, Party Spirit, Fire, BBQ, Fireworks
    Week 3 Winter - January | Week 15
    -De Novo Die(New Years) Sunday(Day Off)
    *Grand Meal, Cleaning, Make Resolutions
    Week 4 Winter - February | Week 16
    -Imbolc Wednesday
    *Cleaning, Fire, Grand Meal, Art & Music Spirit
    -Last of Winter Saturday
    *Gardening
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I've usually add Springfest, Summerfest, Spooky fest and Bonfire Night to all of my saves. I've also added Water Day and Flowerfest to my commune challenge save.
    I'd tell you what traditions they have, but unfortunately I can't get near my PC atm.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited November 2018
    Due to my Anneorine religion being mainly based on Disney heroines
    heatwaves=Ariel Days
    Pocahontasfest-Fall
    Olaffest (Christmas)
    Lover day (not necessary couples)-winter and summer

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @CristalBlueRoses, for water day, if weather is bad in one town, it might be better in another. I have a day in Summer with water fun as well, and always seem to have foul weather at home (Willow Creek), but Oasis Springs tends to have really sunny weather that day, so the family always travels there for the holiday.

I actually kind of like that weather sometimes means traveling for the holiday. I mean, that's what a lot of people do on holidays anyway. :)

Of course, part of my reason for this is the home lot is too small to add the stuff. LOL
  • Options
    CristalBlueRosesCristalBlueRoses Posts: 427 Member
    @Stormkeep I didn't know it would be different in different towns! I'll try this next time.
    Brian's Log: Day sixty-seven.
    Cube was quite all night. Once again
    Cube as quiet all day. As per previously.
    No movement.
    No change in measurements.
    End of entry
  • Options
    @CristalBlueRoses - The only thing missing is a way to see weather forecast in each of the neighborhoods. Sometimes I have to have my sims travel to a 2nd option when I use this trick to get away from storms/rain. It would be nice if we could check the weather in every town ahead of time; fortunately I have fast load times so it isn't too big of a deal.
  • Options
    @Rae357, I love it! Do you have all of those set to be days off of work or just some of them? Be hard to get career progression with that many holidays if they are all days off. lol
  • Options
    @Stormkeep The ones set as a day off have '(day off)' next to them ex. "-Day of Ancestor's Monday(Day Off)"
  • Options
    Rae357 wrote: »
    @Stormkeep The ones set as a day off have '(day off)' next to them ex. "-Day of Ancestor's Monday(Day Off)"

Hahaah...i guess I should have been able to figure out that if it did NOT say that, it wasn't a day off... my bad! Thanks for answering. :D
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I'm now on 28 day seasons too - you'll notice a really subtle change from one season to next.

My holidays are:
    spring:
    - Easter
    - Pancake Day (British thing; nothing to do with Bob)
    - love day
    - Walpurgisnacht (but of Paganism sneaking its way in; bonfires basically)

summer:
    - Midsummer BBQ (inspired by tales of Aussie Christmases)
    - SimNation day - kinda like independance day, but without the independance bit

autumn:
    - Harvest festival day - like thanksgiving, which we Brits don't celebrate.
    - Bonfire night (British thing, google it; it's interesting) - basically fireworks
    - Halloween

winter:
    - xmas eve
    - xmas day (too many traditions to fit into one day)
    - Diwali, 'cause I like it
    - new year
    Gallery ID: babysquare