Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Design Thieves - RANT

Okay, so I'm new to the forums and new to SIMS 4 (though not the Sims) and I love the feature where we can share our designs with the community.

What I don't love are the design thieves.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, and there are designers who are way better than I am, who put a lot of time and effort into their lot designs.

I too put a lot of thought, effort and time into my designs. I try to do different and interesting and quirky things.

But when someone copies your design exactly, without giving you credit and calling it by another name (the design is exactly the same) and taking credit for it, that's theft and that person is wrong.

I just discovered one of my designs had been "rebuilt" by someone else. They called it something else and then uploaded it as if it was a new design and they created it. THEY DID NOT!

The building design is exactly the same as one of mine. They changed the landscaping of the lot. But the building was my design. It's an exact copy!

And there is a second design copied too, but I can't say I was the first to design something like it so I won't speak on that one.

So, if you, the thief, read this...I will be checking to see if you copy me again and I will make sure that everyone knows you are a design thief.

Make your own designs, use your own creativity and DON'T STEAL!

Sorry, rant over!
I am only limited by my imagination.

I. AM. A. UNICORN!

Comments

• Options
    JurnéEndsJurnéEnds Posts: 59 Member
    Oh that's a bit unfortunate although I'm a bit confused as to how found out it was yours and they uploaded it. I'm fairly new to uploading on the exchange so I am not so familiar with the ends and out of it. The only thing that shows on mines is how often my lot was downloaded but not by who
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Yeah, I've had that happen a few times with my creations. They don't even bother changing the description, so even that is the same as what I wrote. (I usually hashtag myself)
    It's really interesting, on some of those uploads, my username doesn't even appear as the "original creator" so SOMEHOW there's a loophole or they're REALLY good at making exact copies and copy-pasting my descriptions word-for-word.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Options
    jeswainston65jeswainston65 Posts: 530 Member
    I think what they do is, they download it, then place it, copy the design to a new lot and then re upload so you can erase the original creator notation....and I found out because I check through the gallery for newest .. I usually scroll a few pages in to see if anything looks familiar...and this one was literally the same as what i had made, they deleted the landscaping, changed the colours outside and changed the name. I would have been okay with that if they had just changed my original design so I got credit. But that kind of copying is cheap and rude. Renovating is one thing but that was outright stealing. I checked for it again, as I favourited it, and it's been deleted from the gallery now. Guess they saw my post lol
    I am only limited by my imagination.

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • Options
    EirayaEiraya Posts: 21 Member
    It can be frustrating, but the gallery can also be quite buggy at times.

I know you can save sims and builds locally via the gallery, but I sometimes share builds to guarantee that they'll be saved *somewhere*, even if something happens to my local save file.

So maybe the uploader just made a few changes to the house and reuploaded so they could keep it saved, and for some reason the gallery didn't credit you as being the original creator?

Just something to think about.

I totally feel your pain though. Especially when you bulldoze a lot where you uploaded someone else's creation, build on top of it, then have the build credited to someone else. Happened to me more than a few times.