Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions for people with Seasons

I've been admiring all of your beautiful seasonal screenshots, and I'm thinking about getting Seasons, but I want to make sure I have some control of the seasons and they're not controlling my game. My questions are:

1) Is it possible to leave some seasons out? Like if I want my world to have mild weather, could I only have Spring and Fall and leave out Summer and Winter completely?

2) Is there a way to keep a season going until I'm ready to switch? I know you can set seasons for a certain length of time, but is there a way to keep resetting it so that the season doesn't change until I'm ready?

3) This doesn't have anything to do with control, but I remember Sims 2 seasonal outfits where the cold weather outfits did not match at all to what the sim would wear once they went indoors. So, they'd have a total wardrobe change every time they stepped outside or came back inside (rather than just having a coat that went over their existing clothes). I always hated that. Is it the same in Sims 4?

Thanks.
BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Comments

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    1. no
    2. no
    3. yes
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member

1) Is it possible to leave some seasons out? Like if I want my world to have mild weather, could I only have Spring and Fall and leave out Summer and Winter completely?
    Nope.
    2) Is there a way to keep a season going until I'm ready to switch? I know you can set seasons for a certain length of time, but is there a way to keep resetting it so that the season doesn't change until I'm ready?
    Yes, by the weather machine or a cheat code.
    3) This doesn't have anything to do with control, but I remember Sims 2 seasonal outfits where the cold weather outfits did not match at all to what the sim would wear once they went indoors. So, they'd have a total wardrobe change every time they stepped outside or came back inside (rather than just having a coat that went over their existing clothes). I always hated that. Is it the same in Sims 4?
    In my game, they will change their outfit accordingly. But, I heard that in some other Simmer games, they wear the same outfit.. it could be a bug or they forgot to switch on the thermostat..So far, my Sims change their outfit..
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited November 2018
    There is actually a way you can cheat with the seasons.

seasons.set_season X

X would be either number 0 through 3

0 Summer
    1 Fall
    2 Winter
    4 Spring

There is also this cheat that changes summer to fall, fall to winter, winter to spring or spring to summer.

seasons.advance_season

If they are not working you'll need to first enter this activation cheat

testingcheats on

There is also a mod that I like that deals with seasons and weather, but at the moment their site is down for maintenance. When they get it up and going I'll post a link to it if you are interested.

• Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I've been admiring all of your beautiful seasonal screenshots, and I'm thinking about getting Seasons, but I want to make sure I have some control of the seasons and they're not controlling my game. My questions are:

Thanks.

1) No, but two things. One: each world has it's own unique climate. Example: OS rarely sees snow and it never sticks to the ground. Two: With the options in answer 2, you can customize the weather to what you want. And essentially have only one season for whatever house your in.

2) No, but with either cheats (as LaBlue mentions) or with the weather machine, you can essential stay in the same season indefinitely, or have only seasons you want. You can only set seasons to 7, 14, or 28 days. And, say you wanted the Burk's in WC only have winter... then you turn it to 28 days, and use the cheats or weather machine to turn the season to winter. Once those 28 days are up... do it again. You really can control the seasons any way you want with cheats or the machine. I haven't personally tested this, but you can even make it snow, rain, or be sunny with the machine upgraded. So, it is possible, it will just take some work on your part.

3) Yes, total wardrobe category. I believe, even without seasons, you should have the cold wear and hot wear in game already. I believe that was patched in and not exclusive to Seasons (Because it never made sense to me why they'd give those options to people without seasons)>
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »

Nope.
    Yes, by the weather machine or a cheat code.
    In my game, they will change their outfit accordingly. But, I heard that in some other Simmer games, they wear the same outfit.. it could be a bug or they forgot to switch on the thermostat..So far, my Sims change their outfit..

Sims don't automatically change out of cold weather gear when they come insided. And if you give your Sim the Iceproof and/or Heatproof purchasable traits, they won't change into the appropriate outfit even outdoors.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »

I think OP's concern is more that she would like for the sims to, for example, put a jacket over their existing outfit when they go out in the cold and take it off when they come back inside rather than total outfit changes, but that isn't how it works in this game.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Okay thank you, everyone! It sounds like I can have some amount of control over seasons, so I'm definitely going to purchase this. I appreciate all your help!!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SimmerUnikornSimmerUnikorn Posts: 80 Member
    @QueenofMyshuno aswell as everyone elses answers i believe their is an option in settings if you want to dial it down a notch like turning of thunderstorms or blizzards but other than that the same as everyone else!
    -Simmer Unikorn
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    edited November 2018
    3) should be pretty easy to work around, though?
    Just untag "Cold weather" in the cold weather clothing category to see the full catalogue and make your sims' cold weather outfits as close to their everyday outfit as possible. You could even give them the very same outfit, but add a hat and gloves. Then, when the sims spin into their outerwear, it will look as if they just put on the hat and gloves.
    Post edited by EnkiSchmidt on
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I play with temperature effects off and my sims only ever change into hot/cold outfits if I send them to a community lot.
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    edited November 2018
    You could just modify your winter outfit to match your every day outfit except add a jacket. They will still spin around but it will look similar. Also, you could just purchase all the weather resist traits and be immune to the weather entirely. You can also shut it off temperature effects world wide in the game settings. Or finally, turn your sim into a vampire. Temp has zero effect on them and they don't change their clothes regardless of the temp.
  • Options
    @EnkiSchmidt @dfstone Oh I wasn’t even thinking about being able to switch clothing categories, so you’re right — I could totally set the clothes up the way I want. Thanks! I’m totally going to do that. Love the idea for adding hat and gloves.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    People are telling you no even though its possible through cheats or the weather machine.

Not exactly the perfect work around but still possible.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Okay thank you @Zeldaboy180 :smiley: