Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Breeding & Genetics

I'm gonna start a Legacy Challenge for the first time on TS4. So when I finished my two founders, I played around with their genetics until I was disappointed that their 'daughters' turn out well but the results from their 'sons' were sporadic. In most cases, their features were disproportionate. So, I had to make another male founder whose genes complimented the female founder well.

What do you all do in your game if children turn out... eh, less appealing that you would have hoped? Have any of you just kept the generation going until the unwanted features have been dissipated by generations of breeding? Do you just run to CAS? I'd love to hear how you all deal with the aesthetics of your Generation Challenges.

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Usually, I will leave them be unless something is way out of whack. For example, some of the children when they age up just don't have any chins, then I'll pull the chin down a bit. Or if their eyebrows are way too low, I'll raise them a bit, little things like that, but I will never change their overall appearance.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    That's what the modify/edit in CAS cheat is for, but I do try to avoid changing too much and just stick to editing glaring deficiencies. I don't mind if sims aren't perfect, but I'm shallow and prefer attractive ones, at least.

I know whenever I play the Goth's, for example, when Alexander ages up, I will have to edit his dumbo ears. Actually, whether I am playing them or not I edit his ears.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    I just embrace the wackiness honestly. sometimes you just be born like that, even irl. I've been relatively lucky in that so far all of my couples have produced pretty good kids genetics-wise with varying levels of "beauty." however, my newest couple might give me a run for my money. I have a feeling their genetics are going to clash rather brutally.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    In that sort of situation, I run for my life to CAS. That happened once when I found out what any kid of mine thats dad is Wolfgang Munch looks like.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    edited October 2018
    In my current family I remember being so surprised as to how my second gen kids grew up to look like as teens, bc they were pretty cute as kids. They looked more alien than human, so I edit them enough to where they looked normal without completely changing main features.

After that gen I’ve been getting some pretty cute kids.
  • Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    Yeah, I use mc command center mod to limit some of the body feature so even the townies had proportional body. And even with that I need to still edit them occasionally.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    simwolfsimwolf Posts: 323 Member
    I always leave them as they are, with the exception of things like skin details in saves that I have CC in, which is only a couple of my games. Generally speaking I leave most things to chance when my sims procreate. I have a mod that causes traits to be randomly chosen, I try where I can to let sims choose their own partners based on autonomous actions towards others and I use random generators to decide other things. I find that this creates much more interesting gameplay and gives me chances to experience gameplay I might otherwise not see.
    The Simwolf - happily simming since 2000
    My Sims, Saves and Challenges

Gallery: simwolf79 Twitter: @SimwolfSims
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2018
    Usually all I change after they age up is their clothes, hairstyle and in the case of teens & older, make-up. I haven't had many children in my game yet, but with the ones I do have, they've been mostly genetically blessed. But, every once in awhile, I get a chin-less wonder and I can't just let that slide.

I try to be as subtle as I can with the plastic surgery on them though. For instance, Greta Gamble, the Gen 2 heir in my Random Legacy challenge I began a long time ago on my old laptop. Please excuse the horrible graphics. Anyway, she aged up to a teen looking like this:

N4BWPGG.png

And after a few tweaks:

7POFzEc.png

I gave her a chin, changed her nose slightly and moved it up a tad. That's about it besides clothes, hair and make-up. Honestly, she was kinda cute before, but I think she looks much better now. I dislike Sims without a chin. It's just my personal preference. *shrugs*
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2018
    Nevermind... deleted.
  • Options
    samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    I leave them be, it's nice to have some variety and if I was to tweak everyone to make them more visually appealing to me, they'd all look the same. I may however change things like hair colour to add some variety or realism, but not the facial structure.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    edited October 2018
    I have had some heirs & Sim children turn out less than expected. I just embrace how the Sim turns out and never edit them in CAS. I have a bit of the 'no chin syndrome', going on right now, and though I'm tempted to drag the chin down, I usually just let them be. Not everyone can be a beauty queen :)
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I'm way too lazy to CAS my sims so I just pretend I can breed it out.
    Lately I've been very unsuccessful with that, but at least the sims is all about pretending anyway
    :sob:
  • Options
    aglitteringsimmeraglitteringsimmer Posts: 56 Member
    It depends, i've found that a new hairstyle and some makeup can make all the difference! In Ts3 i would sometimes rush them to get plastic surgery lol... But now I *try* to stick with what i've got.
    An average simmer wasting her life away
    --just kidding, will find a photo of my fave sim soon--
  • Options
    Kendra326Kendra326 Posts: 515 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    But, every once in awhile, I get a chin-less wonder and I can't just let that slide.

Literally cannot stop laughing over this