Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could someone please rate my first house?

This was originally posted in the Creative Corner. /fail

I just created my first house and I was wondering if anyone could judge it for me? Please be honest, I want to know what I have to improve. Please also tell me anything you like. It would be nice if you could add it to your game and see what it looks like in action. Please.

Download Here; http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1665307

Pictures in Build Mode;
Screenshot-24-1.jpg
Screenshot-23-3.jpg
Screenshot-21-3.jpg

The pond in action;
Screenshot-25-2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited December 2009
    Wow! I'm rating from 10 stars, I give you 10/10. That's an amazing house for your first time. I'm horrible at building homes. I'll probably download it.
  • Options
    simcrediblesimcredible Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited December 2009
    :D Thank you so much!
    I actually spent a while on this. I wanted to punch myself, but I think it's worth it.
  • Options
    BrowningBrowning Posts: 715 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I give it a 8/10 becAUSE I DONT SEE A KITCHEN.....SO YAH UR SIMS WILL STARVE TO DEATH WON'T THEY?
    iT MAY JUST BE THE PIC BUT I DON'T SEE A KITCHEN IF IT HAS A KITCHEN ITS A 10/10
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Browning wrote:
    I give it a 8/10 becAUSE I DONT SEE A KITCHEN.....SO YAH UR SIMS WILL STARVE TO DEATH WON'T THEY?
    iT MAY JUST BE THE PIC BUT I DON'T SEE A KITCHEN IF IT HAS A KITCHEN ITS A 10/10

There's a kitchen :)
    Of course, my life lives around food!
  • Options
    wingedfolconwingedfolcon Posts: 114
    edited December 2009
    i am curious as to how you got the fountain in the pond. there an item you can do that with somewhere in the build/buy mode?
  • Options
    BrowningBrowning Posts: 715 New Member
    edited December 2009
    OH HAHA SORRY I GIVE IT 10/10 I HAD TO ZOOM IN TO FIND IT IT IS SO TINY.
  • Options
    EcclesEccles Posts: 155 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm still fairly new to house design myself (having only uploaded one house because it is the only fully self-designed one I'm really happy with so far), so feel free to take my (hopefully constructive) criticism with a grain of salt. Having downloaded the house and viewed it properly, I was generally impressed with the design and layout of the house. The issues that stuck out for me were few, but warrant mention.

The roof needs a complete overhaul. I understand all too well that creating a roof that fits a non-standard house design is daunting, but with a little practice and some clever use of different roofing styles and temporary supports, a roof that looks cleaner and more in-line with the overall design is possible.

Personally, I would have built the house on a foundation (so it doesn't seem like it just 'sprung' from the ground), but that's simply an aesthetic choice.

Finally, a small but telling issue is that certain interior items were not recoloured to match the rest of the decor. Amongst the most notable were the appliances in the kitchen, where the silver metal tends to clash garishly with the soft neutral tones of the rest of the kitchen. The house seems to have a colour scheme, but some items just don't seem to fit that scheme and therefore tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

Overall, this is a great first attempt, and I give it a 7.5/10.

PS: Feel free to have a look at my house (http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1611409, or see the pictures in my blog) to get an idea of what I mean about roof design and colour-coordination.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i am curious as to how you got the fountain in the pond. there an item you can do that with somewhere in the build/buy mode?

Moveobjects on :]
    Eccles wrote:
    The roof needs a complete overhaul.
    foundation
    interior items were not recoloured

The roof was making me angry, so I just gave up. :9 I will play around with it though to get it better looking. I'll look up some steps and such.
    Foundation is something I don't really like using, but I can see how it would look nice with it. A few houses by me don't really have foundation so I'm not used to using it.
    Interior items, good call! I told myself that I was going to recolor everything before I uploaded it, looks like I forgot. Haha thank you so much!

I'll check out your house after classes today.
  • Options
    cantapoupecantapoupe Posts: 2,188 New Member
    edited December 2009
    8/10

I think it's really nice and I like its circular shape. It's seems cottage-like and comfy. I like it!

By the way, I love the middle clip in your sig. Hahaha
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    cantapoupe wrote:
    8/10

I think it's really nice and I like its circular shape. It's seems cottage-like and comfy. I like it!

By the way, I love the middle clip in your sig. Hahaha

:] Thank you so much.
    Hahah and I love it too :9